Preview Rd 1 Geelong v Essendon Sat March 19 2:10 pm MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ladies/Gents, Boys/Girls it's game day.

I'm not as positive heading into it given the team announcement but let's see how we go.

Their inability, or unwillingness, to recognise how useless Dahl is, and how Higgins cowers in the face of physical contact, is astounding indeed.

I’m sorry to say it but I think Miers does too..

In any case I was sad when I saw the team - hopefully once the Duncan’s return Scotty will feel brave enough to play youth ffs

Evans Narkle and Stephens have to play

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It's amazing isn't it. Even if we look like Harlem Globetrotters on Saturday it won't mean much because we all know what's coming come September.

It's going to be that way until we change the personnel. It's that simple.

Stengle, Holmes and SDK is a step in the right direction, but it's not enough.

Like I said earlier not a fan of Higgins but he's at least had a good pre-season and has clearly worked hard for his spot. At his best he's still got the talent and class we need especially with no Duncan available.

Dal and Sav on the other hand...why? Just why?

Sav is clearly structural ie ceglar is injured and they clearly dontthink blitz can play FB without hendo and ruck..you arent going to throw dek in the ruck in his second game so theres at least a rationale there. Hopefully soon we play ceglar and stanley or we find another tall back and use blitz as 2nd ruck then sav is out.

Dahl that one i cant defend given his performance in practice game iwould have picked stephens over him which also would have bolstered our midfield.

If there is a logical reason to not play Stephens then so be it. Some people argue "well what has X player done to earn a game blah blah blah".

Well what's Dahlhaus done to earn one?

If we don't have anyone stepping up to replace dahlhaus getting a game then it shows how f’ed we are.

To be fair duncan menegola oconnor etc are all injured so hopefully when they are back dahl is dropped.

We need another mid too. It looks like 5 mids. Selwood, Danger, Guthrie, Parfitt and Holmes. They are going to be gassed by the 4th quarter, unless we are just going to concede centre bounces and try to run it off the backline….

I wonder if we are going to try atkins through the midfield? With zuthrie in defence we have the capacity to do it.

I wonder if we are going to try atkins through the midfield? With zuthrie in defence we have the capacity to do it.
Defensive mid on Merrett..

The culture of demanding young players “bash down the door” and demand selection with VFL performances is exactly what many of us are saying needs to soften.

And no, I’m not saying gift young players games without any basis.

I’m saying the marginal decisions need to go in favour of the young players.

In reality though, young players get gifted games without any basis all the time. Selwood and Hawkins did in 2007 for starters.

The team selection proves what any non one-eyed person knows... That the youth on our list is poo poo and the cliff is coming very soon.
Still in shock Dahl was selected (even more than Sav).

Moreso that the club doesn't trust the youth on our list. Would be happy to let them take the punt on a few more.

It's really bizarre how impatient everyone has become with young players now. You get the impression they have to be brilliant immediately or there's just no point. In reality every player on the list took time to get going.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be fair duncan menegola oconnor etc are all injured so hopefully when they are back dahl is dropped.
Yeah I guess. There should be a better option even with injuries though, there should be a kid that amongst those injuries is the one to get an opportunity.

I know COVID has affected development and opportunities for a lot over the last 3 years but we are still talking about players that are into their third season in Evans and Stephens.

Even a first year player from last year's draft? White? He's named emergency same as Stephens and Evans? Why? They obviously aren't injured. They don't need the experience of watching from the side, they've already done it for 2 years.

If they don't play VFL because they are held as emergencies and then don't play at all I'll spew!

Don't waste an opportunity on Dahlhaus. We know he isn't good enough.

He's selection is either over conservatism that has failed us for years or we simply don't have the talent to replace him. Both options are disappointing.

I don't have confidence in either Stephens or Evans being any good and that's my concern, maybe they aren't picked because they just actually aren't good enough.....but let's ****en find out.

I think our main issue this year will be the midfield. I look at teams who will likely be around the top competing and they bat deep in the middle. We really need our next brigade coming through and leading the way, but i don’t think we have the players for it, likely to start getting put to the sword in there so have to go back to Selwood & Danger who are both past it as far as dominant midfielders go.

Game day time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back