Autopsy Round 7, 2022: St.Kilda v Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Blame admin, blame coaching, blame conditions not suiting game style, blame umpires, blame culture, blame goal kicking but we should have won this game no matter what.

We panicked and gave up trying to pick the ball up, instead kicking it 12m forward of the ground on too many occasions where there would be an opponent scoop it up and gain back possession.

A good side doesn’t lose from there, we’re not a good side, not yet anyway.

Must beat Melbourne or Geelong now to keep sight of top 4..

NWM is going to be a freak though, he has the balls to make risky kicks and seems to understand his role right now.

Needs to get a goal ASAP though imo.
How NWM played tonight was the biggest plus for us tonight.

It really stamped that he can play.

In particular tonight it was how he moved. Tonight I think he showed that he is getting really comfortable at this level.

Quintessential saints footy. Brought out all the greatest hits.

Solid set.

How was dougal ******* around in the backline. Couldn't even kick down the line.
Doug’s can honestly have a rest after that putrid effort of trying to turn Marshall inside out only to kick it into his face. Worst thing I’ve seen

F*ck Cairns.

It's an absolute joke to play there. You're not going to achieve much with 36 men chasing a cake of soap around.

Wake up St Kilda. The way forward is to play good footy and beat teams that are going poorly on your home deck. Not to go to China or Cairns.

Such a momentum killer for a season that was going so well.

Had to be an extremely taxing game to play in.

NWM is going really well. Ben Long is playing better that ever.

Gresh needs to get his team first hat on. Reminds me of Butler a few years ago. Selfish.

Forgotten amongst the shite result was the pleasing game of Ben Long. We know he hits contests hard but tonight he was also quite assured with the ball. Has had a good few weeks.

Liked his game a lot.

So the boys had a nice little holiday in Cairns, sightseeing, watching local footy, even had fun at some bloody adventure park. The club wants to lighten it up, then do it in the off season, I’m bloody sure no one on here gets those privileges from their work places. 🤬

Worst game I've ever watched. Seriously. And Port need to be investigated for their abuse of the sub rule. AFL said any team found abusing it would have the four points revoked. This is the second time against us that they've activated their medical sub with no apparent injuries in a very close game. And last year when they did, the subbed player played the next week.
Did that cost us the game?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was a shocking game to watch, to be honest I don't think it was really a performance issue aside from the goal-kicking. We've been due to have goal-kicking cost us a game, have gotten away with a few so it's not surprising to see it finally cost us a win.

I still think we should have won the game, just look at the scoring shots.

The conditions were basically the worst you'll see, I get the reasoning for selling the game to Cairns and wanting to build something up there but the game should be played in July. I lived near Broome and the conditions around this time of year could be disgusting, in July it would be cool at night and dry absolutely beautiful conditions for footy, I imagine Cairns would be similar.

Just my opinion but I think it's over the top to label the club a joke, weak, season over etc. We will win and lose games all year, we are 5-2 and still in a great position. I can't see us beating Melbourne but see no reason why we can't win the next two or three after that.

The big question mark is how much the game will have taxed us physically. Jones, Billings, Marshall all back next week will help.

One last thing, going with the two rucks was an error. The conditions didn't suit it. Having said that we desperately missed Marshall who is very handy in these types of conditions.

Onwards and upwards, put this one behind us and sort out the goal-kicking please.

Last edited:
Farrrrr… King and his approach to goal is like playing russian roulette, get someone in there & make him settle or.. or…Or send him back to Sandringham until he learns to do what he is paid to do, kick goals.

3FF43A31-2D81-45FC-9CE6-E9519E850979.gif

Some top shelf melts in here last night.

Great Gatsby Movie GIF by Sony

Did that cost us the game?
I would argue that was one of two factors, the other being our inaccuracy. The reality is, they replaced a forward who was playing a pretty terrible game and had the lowest disposal efficiency on their team with a fresh midfielder in the fourth quarter. Even just having the fresh legs, being able to get to contests etc is a huge difference.

Only mentioned it because this is twice Port have done the same thing against us, and according to others here they do it constantly. It very well could have won them the game yesterday. It should be investigated at the very least.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 7, 2022: St.Kilda v Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back