Autopsy Round 7, 2022: St.Kilda v Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

I's a hard call because Wood just played his best game with 16 contested possessions from 23 touches and he is the sacrificial lamb who is used to plug up the defense - 3rd man up - they are using him because he is the best runner in the team who can help Howard out with the tall's.
Milera to me just played his best game.
Windhager just about played his best game as well.
Long has just put together his best 3 games he has played in a row.

But a good indicator is time on ground
Campbell 50%
Windhager 70%
Milera 77%
Wood 79%
Gresham 74% but had copped a knock

and if you go by stats - Butler 8 , King 9 , Higgins 9 , Ryder 8
Windy was good in the first half and did some promising things but he didn't touch the ball in the last quarter.

If Jones and/or Billings are ready to come back in, there would be no hesitation in those 2 replacing him next week.

Just watched the game, then read through all the vents.
Can't blame any of you (except the guy talking about dropping Nas and Windy).

Half way through, I called that the least sloppy team would win. Then spent the second half shouting "sloppy!!!" at half our attempts to do stuff.

I was surprised that we lifted enough to draw level and hit the lead again near the end, but we just didn't seem to get the chance to hold things up at that point.

Port were cleaner in the second half, and Marshall kicking the goal that counted was the difference (note: not one f'ing spin of the ball in his hand, not ONE!!!)

About selling the game - what the f is the point of spending all your beans on a 200+cm key forward, only to sell your home games to a place that every person in Australia, and probably even half of Germany know is slippery a.f?

Sharman and Bytel would have been more effective in those conditions, but when you've won 5 on the trot, you are almost hamstrung from making changes. They probably should have had a wet weather player as a sub, and then cheated once Port predictably did. Absolutely shitful that they can bring on a fresh player and we can't (although I don't think it affected much, but it could have).

What do you do when you've got two forwards whose psychological state determines whether they're going to win the match for you, or piss it away with misses from dead in front? Other teams have had the problem, but we've had a lot of reliable kicks in our forward line over the years. 1 goal 15, and with Max's 1 goal 7 last week. Surely this is rock bottom and the turning point. It can't continue like this, it's laughable.

Missing shots from in front gets overlooked in high scoring games, but when you only kick 4 or 5 goals from the match, missing the easy ones is pretty unforgivable.

Anyway, a draw would have been appropriate given Port's crap start and our blunders. I just wish umps would pay HTB - it's really taking away from my enjoyment of the game seeing all these balls dropped and thrown to players, and the tackling side being outnumbered as a result.

Hopefully we play angry next week, and pull off a big win.

I think it’s about time Steeley whips out that Chinese farmer proverb he liked.

For those who don’t remember it, it essentially amounted to you never know what’s around the corner, don’t get complacent.

For all we know, the clubs may love being in Melbourne next week, playing at the G, and we smash Melbourne. And then maybe the week after that we lose one we should have won against Geelong. Who the heck knows.

It’s a long season, we’ve done a good job navigating through it thus far, no reason to think that’s going to change.

Last edited:

Was nervous about this game. Port in a strange place? Seem to have seen this before. And when it got tight I just knew they would fall over the line. Bloody Robbie Gray….again.

We should have won by at least 3 or 4 goals, but didn’t. Very disappointed, but we move on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can see why many are wound up about Cairns. But simple thing is we should still have won. Had the better of the game. Inaccurate. We didn’t make it count when we had ascendancy.

We went there early. Got acclimatised. Port had a late difficult journey. That should have counted for something, but didn’t.

And our finances are still not straight. I don’t know the details, but it could be the end of an arrangement with the AFL. They have us over a barrel until we are nicely in the black. The fault of this goes back a fair while. Just like our drafting, trading and development over the years.

We are slowly being dragged out of the mire, and I can see light. I would rather have played them under the roof at Marvel. But wasn’t anytime/anywhere our motto at one point?

We need to be better. We need to be tougher. I do think we are getting there but it is a work in progress. Like the whole club.

It was an ugly game, pretty poor performance from the club. but some of you guys have lost the plot with some of the comments being made.

4.18 is pretty ridiculous, lot of our kicks were either dropped, out on the full or straight to port.

Our kicking overall lost us this game, nothing else.

NWM is going to be a freak though, he has the balls to make risky kicks and seems to understand his role right now.

Needs to get a goal ASAP though imo.

There were shades of Winmar when Long kicked to him and he burst down the wing tapping the ball in front of him, just needed a goal to top it off.

Probably unfair to compare NWM to Winmar though, he was a freakish talent, he's in my Top 5 Saints along with Lockett, Harvey, Hayes and Riewoldt.

I
I think it’s about time Steeley whips out that Chinese farmer proverb he liked.

For those who don’t remember it, it essentially amounted to you never know what’s around the corner, don’t get complacent.

For all we know, the clubs may love being in Melbourne next week, playing at the G, and we smash Melbourne. And then maybe the week after that we lose one we should have won against Geelong. Who the heck knows.

It’s a long season, we’ve done a good job navigating through it thus far, no reason to think that’s going to change.
I thought it was nothings as bad or as good as it seems. Seems similar to my point about not getting hyped up about close wins and not getting distraught about close losses. They’re about worth the same.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 7, 2022: St.Kilda v Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back