2nds 2022 Lions Reserves and VFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dev gave quadruple double a good shake as well - 14 kicks, 8 handball, 8 Marks, 9 Tackles

IMO Devs development up forward has made him a much more dangerous mid. If he can win clearances, tackles and now add scoring, he will have a very good AFL career.

First full game I have seen of Blake Coleman for a while, I think there is something there to work with. I hope fitness and effort don't ruin his career.

Kiddy was on the Roar deal last week and mentioned that Blake had a very interrupted start to the year. Appendicitis.

Hopefully with a clear run Blake keeps improving.

Alongside Will's class today, he also had the second most tackles for us (tied with Matho) with 6.

Quite rare you see a top midfield prospect coming through with that kind of defensive effort and pressure already. Just another brilliant sign.

First full game I have seen of Blake Coleman for a while, I think there is something there to work with. I hope fitness and effort don't ruin his career.

The effort was absolutely there. I think he was putting in the work fitness wise except for appendicitis etc in the pre season. Starting to look a lot better.

Will be interesting to see the TOG stats. Reckon if Ashcroft had TOG parity with other mids he would have really dominated the stats. That was a very impressive game from Ashcroft. He is a well rounded player, very exciting. To be able to step into a team and contribute like that was great.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Ashcroft isn't the best player available at the draft this year, the one who is must be scary

Talls are starting to rise now. Tom Scully and Harry Lemmey are the names getting thrown around a bit.

Ashcroft might get a "known quantity" stamp at this rate and the late rising talls might go before him. Good for us either way, I'm not complaining if we have to match only pick 3 or 4 or 5.

Will be interesting to see the TOG stats. Reckon if Ashcroft had TOG parity with other mids he would have really dominated the stats. That was a very impressive game from Ashcroft. He is a well rounded player, very exciting. To be able to step into a team and contribute like that was great.

Particularly given he only had a week of training before the match (since pre-season) - not a lot of time to get your communication up with other mids and learn where you need to be.

Talls are starting to rise now. Tom Scully and Harry Lemmey are the names getting thrown around a bit.

Ashcroft might get a "known quantity" stamp at this rate and the late rising talls might go before him. Good for us either way, I'm not complaining if we have to match only pick 3 or 4 or 5.
Yeah it is only a matter of matching points, so if he slides a couple of spots, all the better.

Only watched the second half, lots of positives……..but one minute into the last quarter Ashcroft takes the ball cleanly in the middle of a stoppage, weaves his way through the pack and no swans player can put a hand on him. Just wow! Hopefully in the highlights.

DRobbo and Berry gone past MRobbo. Sadly for him (and me). Still he looks a handy depth player. The positive is that both Dev and Tom look to have a bit of the Mitch mongrel about the way they play. Hopefully one of them brings it to the firsts soon.

dlanod who worked the hardest in our midfield today in terms of running both ways? Did you notice anyone in particular at the ground?
Tom Berry was the obvious one. Mitch up forward. Kalin looks good and actually covers ground as a ruck. Will obviously gave impact minutes. The real surprise to me was Carter Michael who seemed to be in everything for a bit there in the third.

How many Ashcroft medals will Will Ashcroft win in the next 15 years, I wonder?

Edit: that is actually a pretty good accidental tongue twister.

Early this year I've also been doing in my head a "Will will" or "Will won't" around nominating us.

Lane - a lot to like. Much more mobile as he gets fitter. Some real potential to be a very good ruckman.

Coleman - starting to show his potential and looks dangerous inside 50. Hope he continues to improve because he might be a surprise packet.

Berry - really has something despite a few weaknesses. He really looks like he is ready for the top level now. Love his pressure.

Robertson - really just waiting his turn now I think. Has the goods and his time will come.

Tunstill - a bit of patience needed but shows signs.

Payne - patchy but too big and strong not to turn into an AFL quality player.

Ashcroft - small and slight but obviously has the skill. Nice and clean, hopefully gets more opportunities at this level to get used to the speed of the game.

Eli Smith - some signs of development but he would be at the back of a long line of potential midfielders still.

Carter Michael - might have to click up a gear to keep improving. Needs to be making excellent decisions to set up from turnovers. I would apply much the same for Wilmot, although he intercepts better.

Sharp - I would be patient with Sharp because he might be five or six years away from his peak despite the early debut. More strength and game sense and he could be a game breaker in his mid twenties.

The game had a fair bit of intensity, perhaps a little more than the typical VFL game and our pressure was good, at times verging on AFL level.

The second quarter sucked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back