List Mgmt. Glenn Luff - Has resigned as list manager

Remove this Banner Ad

still sucks that Kane Corn called Luff out. I said it yesterday that it isn't just one person making the decision or decisions. Also Luff has been there for roughly 10 minutes and you/I /we/them cannot judge our lot as yet.

Big Charlie is the key and yeah that may well not work out. But should he take CHF with Larkey FF, Phillips becomes that midfield accumulator we desperately need.

There will be a few people with egg on their faces.

2021 draft
1653519650570.png

The first four picks look likely.

2020 draft

1653519740503.png

3 will be good and hopefully one more makes the grade. But 3 decent footballers in any one draft has to be deemed successful.

2019 draft
1653519867402.png

Took a punt- Perez will be a best 22 lock and a fine footballer for us. Charlie could be a generational CHF or a bust. It would be a dead set tragedy if Charlie doesn't get a fair crack at it. I actually liked our risk reward approach to the 19 draft.

Anyway don't lose faith peeps we'll be fine.

You are simplifying this down as if they are just collecting statistics that show disposals and efficiency.

CD produces an enormous amount of analytical reporting on players to find the players that win the ball, where they win it and who makes the best decisions to produce the highest scoring outcome per action.

For instance a player would be given a maximum rating for winning the ball on turnover in a contested situation in a dangerous part of the ground for the opposition and then using it to score or produce a scoring outcome for his own team.

It’s why Boomer was so highly rated over his career, he could create a turnover at half back and work the ball up the ground bouncing and hand balling, then deliver a perfect pass to a leading forward in a high percentage scoring position.

In the same way, Tom Mitchell can have 56 possessions and be the 13th ranked player on the ground because he just isn’t that dangerous with the footy.
Yes, I was deliberately using a very simple example to make a point.

Look, I love stats but they have limitations and there are times when they don't add any value. Surely we can all agree on that.

kane Cornes has denied he was feed information from the club to undermine Luffy.
yet again Caro has been caught bullshitting again

"Kane didn't single out Glenn Luff ... He was the one recruiter he named."

Isn't that by its very definition singling him out?

Also, note the use of the phrase "Apparently, he has said to friends". That's classic shorthand for he told Caro/Eddie but refused to go on the record as he doesn't have a shred of evidence to support this.

Just the usual fact-free gutter journalism from the doyenne of gutter journalists.

It is standard modus operandi for the media.

They have been told directly from the source that they have a hand in it and their position is "nah the club is gunning for the guy". Between the lack of consistency and the lack of accountability the AFL media is toxic.

kane Cornes has denied he was feed information from the club to undermine Luffy.
yet again Caro has been caught bullshitting again
I cannot imagine Cornes having any contacts within the North Melbourne football club.

Who is he going to call? Polec?

It’s pretty clear listening to Brady we didn’t initiate the action the recruiters took the action.

As much as people want to believe we made the decision because they weren’t performing and we were being proactive, it wasn’t. It was their call!

It's clear that we didn't make an offer to improve or extend Finnegan or Birthisel's deals to convince them to stay. Which is quite telling in itself.

Luff has confirmed through McGuire that Kane Cornes' segment on Footy Classified was the tipping point for him. Seems he felt unsupported by the club on Tuesday after that show had aired, perhaps urged on by his media mates to ask the club to put out a statement of support, which is in the interest of journalists to keep a hot story moving.

This club has enough experience with this sort of negative media to know not to give it any additional fuel.

It's clear that we didn't make an offer to improve or extend Finnegan or Birthisel's deals to convince them to stay. Which is quite telling in itself.

Luff has confirmed through McGuire that Kane Cornes' segment on Footy Classified was the tipping point for him. Seems he felt unsupported by the club on Tuesday after that show had aired, perhaps urged on by his media mates to ask the club to put out a statement of support, which is in the interest of journalists to keep a hot story moving.

This club has enough experience with this sort of negative media to know not to give it any additional fuel.
Whateley just about confirms this in the way he’s said we should have put out a press conference to back “our guy”

I think we just got to a point where he was down the pecking order and once the cover from a superior in finnegan was gone he felt vulnerable

"Kane didn't single out Glenn Luff ... He was the one recruiter he named."

Isn't that by its very definition singling him out?

Also, note the use of the phrase "Apparently, he has said to friends". That's classic shorthand for he told Caro/Eddie but refused to go on the record as he doesn't have a shred of evidence to support this.

Just the usual fact-free gutter journalism from the doyenne of gutter journalists.

He 100% singled him out. The least he could have done is stood by it.

Whateley just about confirms this in the way he’s said we should have put out a press conference to back “our guy”

I think we just got to a point where he was down the pecking order and once the cover from a superior in finnegan was gone he felt vulnerable

We can't be throwing a press conference every time we receive criticism and Luff knows that. He was singled out by Cornes and he already knew the other two blokes would be resigning imminently, he didn't want to be left holding the can.

Criticism from Robbo and Lyon about the Q&A is just basic lazy journalism from two blokes that do F-All research and just turn up to their shows to spout their opinions. We were never going to change the format of the Q&A which is a casual scheduled fan engagement segment.

If Amarfio, Noble and Rawlings held that same forum wearing suits answering serious questions about a crisis with the sponsor banner behind them and a white table cloth it would have absolutely blown the story up all over again.

Ha yeah can't see Corn doing that. He is borderline insane that dude. His whole spiel about how the Adelaide clubs could get JHF out of North was cringeworthy.

And he also stated name one list decision they've got right, oh you forgotten about JHF Corn. I cannot wait until JHF signs on again. Of course it won't matter and Corn will find something else to talk shite about.

I'd fire up my twitter account but Corn has me on ignore from a couple of years ago. Well I am it would seem a good judge of character.

Oh well.

Former Melbourne captain Garry Lyon believes North Melbourne’s decision to recruit Champion Data’s senior AFL analyst Glenn Luff was an excellent move.

Luff will join the club in a role the Roos say will help them adapt to the new AFL rule changes quicker than other teams.

He will also work with the list management and recruiting team and Lyon said he could be a big asset there.

“Glenn Luff worked with us here on SEN and Fox Footy and across different programs, North Melbourne has recruited him,” he told SEN Breakfast.

“I think he’ll be one of the great recruits of the year.

“I just think that his ability to look at players … Jack Higgins is a great example. He said this bloke from the numbers and everything else is the best player in this draft pool.”

Melbourne captain Daisy Pearce said other clubs are going all-in with this data-heavy approach as well.

“The Bulldogs have come out and said they’re on the hunt for a data analyst,” she said.

“A list and recruiting analytics and innovation manager is what they’re chasing.”

Luff spent 20 years with Champion Data.

oh well

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s pretty clear listening to Brady we didn’t initiate the action the recruiters took the action.

As much as people want to believe we made the decision because they weren’t performing and we were being proactive, it wasn’t. It was their call!
I don't think that is in dispute. It is clear to me that the three people involved made proactive decisions to leave. Two for alternate roles, and one just to get out of the place because he felt unsupported.

What is not in dispute is that whilst under their care, the state of our list has gone backwards significantly with major holes to fill. Whichever way they have departed, the end result is a positive one for the club. We now need to focus on building a list management team that can take us forward in a positive way.

This is all over the shop now.

I still think the list management of the 2022 list was a failure and the consequence was justified.

However it's hard to comment on the people management aspect of it, hard to verify any of that. Certainly don't like the suggestion the club didn't treat its staff respectfully regardless of them (potentially) not being up to their duties.

still sucks that Kane Corn called Luff out. I said it yesterday that it isn't just one person making the decision or decisions. Also Luff has been there for roughly 10 minutes and you/I /we/them cannot judge our lot as yet.

Big Charlie is the key and yeah that may well not work out. But should he take CHF with Larkey FF, Phillips becomes that midfield accumulator we desperately need.

There will be a few people with egg on their faces.

2021 draft
View attachment 1408897

The first four picks look likely.

2020 draft

View attachment 1408899

3 will be good and hopefully one more makes the grade. But 3 decent footballers in any one draft has to be deemed successful.

2019 draft
View attachment 1408900

Took a punt- Perez will be a best 22 lock and a fine footballer for us. Charlie could be a generational CHF or a bust. It would be a dead set tragedy if Charlie doesn't get a fair crack at it. I actually liked our risk reward approach to the 19 draft.

Anyway don't lose faith peeps we'll be fine.
I’d argue whilst those picks may well turn out fine, and I hope they do the current list composition is at best worthy of criticism and discussion from the club.

We’ve had makeshift key position posts In multiple games this year and it should be asked if that really serves the rebuild that well for example regardless of how admirable the effort was, does having bonar play on McKay do the club or his own development any good.

Yes list builds occur over a number of years but the biggest problem now is that we have little currency to improve the situation you and I have discussed the CCJ trade at depth but I maintain that that trade whilst one for the future was still a significant overpay and has hamstrung us to significantly address the holes. I doubt free agency can help as the current turmoil would turn many off. Let’s be honest MSD is purely a lottery and no list strategy should rely on that.

My point is, Luff, finnegan, and the other bloke represent a huge core of that list team and thus are responsible for the state of the build they absolutely should be held to account if they feel that questioning their actions is unfair, a lack of support or that the club should stick up for them in the media then stuff them. Further more potting the club on the way out is also poor form.

They absolutely deserve any criticism

I think the club's media handling has been shambolic. They need to understand the members aren't stupid, and feeding us BS won't fly. Noble comment on "little wins" was the utmost example of feeding us crap. He said we look at indicators such as quarters won and halves won, and we are in front on both compared to this time last year. Well, it turns out we are actually well behind on both. This is quite frankly embarrassing. Was he hoping nobody would bother doing the math?

Was there actually too much wrong with what Cornes said though? Luff was a list manager that position is one that ownership and responsibility must be taken. Sure you don’t want to be taken down in public but whether you agree or not it seemed to be genuine observations based on what was in front of us, I’d prefer that than Caros baseless opinion presented as fact.

Even for a rebuilding side our list is a mess, he has done responsibility for that.

If he thinks that’s bad at least he had an opportunity to address it if he felt it was out of line or fox the problem.

Jesus Christ, no one would have remembered who Luff was after that episode. Super soft. I reckon we’ve all had worse character stains then something Kane says.

At least Footy Classified haven't yet discovered the outtakes from the unfortunately scheduled AIA sponsorship obligation yesterday's Member Q&A.

200.gif

I hope Luff sues her it for slander then..
it's funny how sport is an exception to defamation suits. if you write something wrong in the AFR you'd be investigated by ASIC, in the AFL there is nothing. and the people that benefit most are the journo's getting extra kickbacks from the managers. or in the case the journo's getting kickbacks from the AFL.

At least Footy Classified haven't yet discovered the outtakes from the unfortunately scheduled AIA sponsorship obligation yesterday's Member Q&A.

200.gif
I thought it was interesting in one of the AIA ads they had a spiel for one of their products that gives members rewards when they meet certain health and fitness goals. These rewards include Uber Eats vouchers. Perhaps I'm only speaking for myself, but does anyone actually use Uber Eats other than for ordering junk food?

I’d argue whilst those picks may well turn out fine, and I hope they do the current list composition is at best worthy of criticism and discussion from the club.

We’ve had makeshift key position posts In multiple games this year and it should be asked if that really serves the rebuild that well for example regardless of how admirable the effort was, does having bonar play on McKay do the club or his own development any good.

Yes list builds occur over a number of years but the biggest problem now is that we have little currency to improve the situation you and I have discussed the CCJ trade at depth but I maintain that that trade whilst one for the future was still a significant overpay and has hamstrung us to significantly address the holes. I doubt free agency can help as the current turmoil would turn many off. Let’s be honest MSD is purely a lottery and no list strategy should rely on that.

My point is, Luff, finnegan, and the other bloke represent a huge core of that list team and thus are responsible for the state of the build they absolutely should be held to account if they feel that questioning their actions is unfair, a lack of support or that the club should stick up for them in the media then stuff them. Further more potting the club on the way out is also poor form.

They absolutely deserve any criticism
We knew what we were doing when we pulled our list apart. That led us to having JHF. I doubt we factored in Corr having such a poor run with injury. Then of course McKay getting injured also didn't help. We think Bonar can play and plays tall as well as small. Not an ideal situation. Currently we have McKay, Walker, Edwards, Xerri, CCJ, Comben and Larkey. Who is to say Edwards cannot take CHB in a few seasons time. Anyways I'd only play two of Walker, McKay and Corr. With support via Bonar and Young.

Goldy righty or wrongly is gone. So I assume we feel CCJ will takeover that role. I don't know of course. Did we overpay due to having leverage in the way of the pre-season draft absolutely. Is that the end of the world? Nope.

I stand by it we'll get a PP mid first rd I reckon. Which will assist us and should we get it, that is a great work by the club. We have done the right thing by ourselves and in time we will reap the rewards. Beats the ten years of middling finishes with middling draft picks.

I thought it was interesting in one of the AIA ads they had a spiel for one of their products that gives members rewards when they meet certain health and fitness goals. These rewards include Uber Eats vouchers. Perhaps I'm only speaking for myself, but does anyone actually use Uber Eats other than for ordering junk food?
Apparently Uber packages are popular with drug dealers but the drivers are now going via the Cops lol

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Glenn Luff - Has resigned as list manager

Remove this Banner Ad

Back