List Mgmt. List Management Discussion for 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve just seen a Collingwood supporter suggest at trade of Mitch Lewis and our first rounder for Brodie Grundy 😂😂😂😂

When I first saw that I misread it as Lewis for Grundy and a first. I thought - that is strange from a Pies fan but I hope we pass. Lewis is a star, Grundy is cooked.
Then I reread and saw they wanted a first as well !!! Which maybe a top 6 pick!!!!!! LOL. NO WAY.

Considering where our list is, the way Lewis is playing, and the amount Grundy is paid... it's a NO brainer!

Last edited:

I know it's been done to death already but I really can't stress how terrible our midfield looked tonight.

Its obvious we are going to go hard at drafting mids in the national draft this year but I think we also need to be looking at talented mid 20s midfielders not getting a crack at their current side like George Hewitt and Jarrod Lyons were.

We will have the cap space so surely we could snag at least one of these types on the free agent market?

I know it's been done to death already but I really can't stress how terrible our midfield looked tonight.

Its obvious we are going to go hard at drafting mids in the national draft this year but I think we also need to be looking at talented mid 20s midfielders not getting a crack at their current side like George Hewitt and Jarrod Lyons were.

We will have the cap space so surely we could snag at least one of these types on the free agent market?
Which are available as FA that you'd suggest?

I’ve just seen a Collingwood supporter suggest at trade of Mitch Lewis and our first rounder for Brodie Grundy 😂😂😂😂

Just delusional. Don’t they know Wrighty is there now - there’s got to be a swap of future 4th rounders in there to make that viable.

Last edited:
Which are available as FA that you'd suggest?
Honestly I have no idea.

But given what 75%? of players recruited from the national draft are midfielders I would have thought each club is carrying a surplus of young midfielders not getting a crack at their current club who are looking for more game time.

Our midfield is in such a bad state that we need some right now fixes (free agency pick ups and trades) as well as longer term ones (draft selections).

So to grab a coulple of mids we would have to look at the top 8ish clubs where there wouldn't be the opportunity for some. So I have had a look at the VFL recently to see whats running around narrowed it down to players such a Fiorini, Dow, Setterfield, Narkle, Chayce Jones, Collier-Dawkins, Ross. All of these would offer more than Tom and Worps. Fiorini and Dow have questions on disposable but are in no way as bad as our boys. Id also be going hard early on Soligo, looks a gun and was a massive Hawks supporter.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last night was always going to be a game that exposed this. We have the worst or second worst midfield in the comp and the Dogs have the best or second best. They have 4-5 players better than any of ours (including one who was missing). As happy as I am with how our backline and forward line are coming together with developing talent (better than expected), sides can’t challenge without a class and deep midfield.

Newcombe is the only very good player and sure bet we have in there. He needs help. We have some hopeful kids who will take time and otherwise the midfield remains full of experienced disappointments who do not hurt the opposition. Some need to be moved on. I see the Crows have dropped Matt crouch after letting Brad Crouch go. They have the right idea and have worked out that stat padders who don’t damage take you nowhere.

You’re absolutely right that the focus needs to be on finding under valued midfielders: Hewitt, Brodie, Lyons great examples from recent years.

Otherwise we will have cap space and need to spend it. I see Geelong have entered the market for Brayshaw. We should be able to outbid others. He may reasonably have no interest in joining us but we should be willing to tempt him with money. He’s good player and a good character / leader. Should be a priority

The draft obviously needs to focus on midfield but that’s going to take time (with no sure bets) and until the midfield bats deep and has class and damaging players in it, we will not challenge.

Mitch Lewis can be a COleman Medal winner and superstar with a good midfield to feed him.

So to grab a coulple of mids we would have to look at the top 8ish clubs where there wouldn't be the opportunity for some. So I have had a look at the VFL recently to see whats running around narrowed it down to players such a Fiorini, Dow, Setterfield, Narkle, Chayce Jones, Collier-Dawkins, Ross. All of these would offer more than Tom and Worps. Fiorini and Dow have questions on disposable but are in no way as bad as our boys. Id also be going hard early on Soligo, looks a gun and was a massive Hawks supporter.
They may or may not offer more than our current output. That said, are they future A-graders who will dominate the competition and lead a premiership midfield in 3-5 years time? Because that’s the midfield I want to be building, and the way we need to do that is via the draft. Sure we may pluck a Will Brodie type from somewhere, but our midfield still needs to be rebuilt from the ground up (which id say we are 1-2 years into doing).

They may or may not offer more than our current output. That said, are they future A-graders who will dominate the competition and lead a premiership midfield in 3-5 years time? Because that’s the midfield I want to be building, and the way we need to do that is via the draft. Sure we may pluck a Will Brodie type from somewhere, but our midfield still needs to be rebuilt from the ground up (which id say we are 1-2 years into doing).
We need stars, but we also need depth. A quality midfield has both. We have neither. We need both stars, and numbers

We need stars, but we also need depth. A quality midfield has both. We have neither. We need both stars, and numbers
We do need depth, but it’s not going to change our fortunes that much unless we bring in match-winners. We need our own Oliver and Petracca and we need to get them to 50-100 games. Maybe we’ve already got them on our list and time will have them emerge, but I think we are still 1-2 drafts away from really putting this part of our list together.

This. I think we will be picking a top 5 pick next couple years. Hope to get our mid stars there. Then take a swing on some depth that if given the opportunity, who knows how good they could be? But what we do know is that this has to be last year we run with this mid group.

Couldn't agree more.

One of our big problems is that we have so few pure midfielders on our list we are forced to either keep giving the likes of Worps multiple chances or trying to force utility types like Day into midfield roles that they aren't suited to.

We need at least 8 pure midfielders on our list. Probably need about 3 of those to be top quality/elite but the other 5 just need to be decent.

Whereas we have I reckon about 5 pure midfielders on our list at current, of which one (Duke) has the potential to be elite ad the rest are either unproven rookies or vetrans dropping of the cliff (Mitchell, JOM, Shiels)

RCD I'd be interested in.

I think the ship has sailed for Narkle though. We should have made a move two years ago if we were going to go there.

Personally I'm not interested in the rest, though Fiorini is a decent player.

I'd rather we target Flanders. He looks like he's at that point in his career where it's going to click for him soon. Better to take a chance now then this time next season when he's making a name for himself.

The midfield is going to take time, no quick fix. In part it's about getting talent through the door (elite talent), but then it's also about getting those guys to learn how to play together. That is years away.
There are worse spots we could be in...at least we know that's the area of focus and we're not trying to put out a million fires out at once.

On an unrelated note, does anybody have an idea of where Gunners is at contract wise? I know that many people think he’ll leave (and I think he probably will too), but tbh out of all our older guys he's the one I'd like to keep the most.
We've a few young small-medium forwards coming through who may/may not make it. The leadership/mentoring he can provide for those guys is invaluable. I still think he's got some good footy left in him and I want to see him finish as a Hawk.
Like I look at our defence and we've got all the pieces for the future. Up forward we've got guys like Lewy and Moorey to build around, but I'd really like to fill out our forward line and convert some of the 'maybe' prospects into permanent best 22 players, and I think he and Punky can play a massive part in helping with that.

Clearly the midfield is the biggest concern in terms of list management.
We potentially drafted 3 very good ones in Newcombe, Ward and Macdonald last year. Big tick. We will get a very good one (hopefully 2) in this year’s draft( Sheezel, Tsatas, Clark or Phillipou with our 1st pick) Wardlaw won’t get to our pick.
Need pace and skill on the wings. Day, Ward and Bramble my preferences. Would love Scrimshaw to be our Pendles/Bont and play midfield. Has great skill and awareness and is very good overhead. Short term we need Wingard playing there as much as possible. The big issue is what do we do with Mitchell, Worpel, O’Meara? There is only room for 1 moving forward. They simply struggle playing elsewhere. Howe and Shiels will be delisted. Does Nash get enough of the ball to be a regular midfielder?
Possible round 1 2023 side:
Hardwick Blanck Sicily
Jiath Grainger-Barass Day
Bramble Newcombe Ward
Macdonald Gunston Moore
Breust Lewis Wingard
Reeves Scrimshaw O’Meara
Koschitzke Sheezel* Nash Butler
Emer: Morrison Maginness Lynch
Frost and Impey on the fringe.
McEvoy retire?
Shiels - retire/delist
Howe - delist
Worpel - trade
Mitchell - trade
Phillips - delist
Hartigan - retire/delist

We potentially drafted 3 very good ones in Newcombe, Ward and Macdonald last year. Big tick. We will get a very good one (hopefully 2) in this year’s draft( Sheezel, Tsatas, Clark or Phillipou with our 1st pick) Wardlaw won’t get to our pick.
Need pace and skill on the wings. Day, Ward and Bramble my preferences. Would love Scrimshaw to be our Pendles/Bont and play midfield. Has great skill and awareness and is very good overhead. Short term we need Wingard playing there as much as possible. The big issue is what do we do with Mitchell, Worpel, O’Meara? There is only room for 1 moving forward. They simply struggle playing elsewhere. Howe and Shiels will be delisted. Does Nash get enough of the ball to be a regular midfielder?
Hardwick Blanck Sicily
Bramble Newcombe Ward
Macdonald Gunston Moore
Breust Lewis Wingard
Reeves Scrimshaw O’Meara
McEvoy retire?
Shiels - retire/delist
Howe - delist
Worpel - trade
Mitchell - trade
Phillips - delist
Hartigan - retire/delist
There's got to be more change than that in the side for next year. We can't carry Gunston he's the one to move on along with Tom and Worpel.

Need a 2nd ruck sick of pinch hitting with talls and mids disrupts the side too much.

Really need another key tall and a plethora of mids.

Hardwick Blanck Sicily
Bramble Newcombe Ward
Macdonald Gunston Moore
Breust Lewis Wingard
Reeves Scrimshaw O’Meara
McEvoy retire?
Shiels - retire/delist
Howe - delist
Worpel - trade
Mitchell - trade
Phillips - delist
Hartigan - retire/delist
Pretty good line up but I think we need to have Kozi on the field, Gunston moves on (sadly) with Bruest providing the leadership in the forward line. Second ruck on the bench. I think we need the extra height those changes provide as it helps with structure and prevents Lewis being triple teamed.

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back