Preview Round 16, 2022: Giants v Hawks, 3:20pm 3rd July Giants stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My changes
Out Shiels, In Ward. Mid for mid. Though Ward needs centre square attendances
Out Impey, in DGB, comes in as second key back, allowing Sicily to roam and intercept
Out Howe, In Wingard. Plays as a mid forward. Need his class everywhere forward of centre
Out Worpel, In Gunston. Worps stiff, but we got another lesson that TOM JOM WORPS don’t work.
Out Morrison, in Maguiness. Morrison also stiff, but let’s see Maguiness get an extended run. What’s to lose?
I thought Nash very disappointing against Doggies, he just doesn’t run with ball when he gets it and that’s the problem with most of our midfielders when they get it they just bomb it forward, need some run in the there, just think Nash’s form has tail off in recent games, and people are calling for other players to being drop, I don’t think he is immune to being drop this week

If we want to bring players in like Ward DGB Day Gunston Wingard Lynch, some players will have to make way, it is going to be very interesting at the selection table this week

Some people want Bramble dropped at least he tries to run with ball, hope we see the best of Day and Bramble in the coming weeks as we need there run and carry, also like to see MacDonald get a extended run in the midfield and Ward when gets his fitness up

I thought Nash very disappointing against Doggies, he just doesn’t run with ball when he gets it and that’s the problem with most of our midfielders when they get it they just bomb it forward, need some run in the there, just think Nash’s form has tail off in recent games, and people are calling for other players to being drop, I don’t think he is immune to being drop this week

If we want to bring players in like Ward DGB Day Gunston Wingard Lynch, some players will have to make way, it is going to be very interesting at the selection table this week

Some people want Bramble dropped at least he tries to run with ball, hope we see the best of Day and Bramble in the coming weeks as we need there run and carry, also like to see MacDonald get a extended run in the midfield and Ward when gets his fitness up
I agree that Nash was off his game a bit on Friday night. On form he might warrant a couple of weeks with BH. However, I am not sure he is that easy to replace.

My changes
Out Shiels, In Ward. Mid for mid. Though Ward needs centre square attendances
Out Impey, in DGB, comes in as second key back, allowing Sicily to roam and intercept
Out Howe, In Wingard. Plays as a mid forward. Need his class everywhere forward of centre
Out Worpel, In Gunston. Worps stiff, but we got another lesson that TOM JOM WORPS don’t work.
Out Morrison, in Maguiness. Morrison also stiff, but let’s see Maguiness get an extended run. What’s to lose?

Mitchell or O'Meara can take a trip to Box Hill before Worpel after last weeks game.

After last week I reckon there will be a focus on contested ball. Think we might have swung a bit far to the flashy transition footy and have been found wanting on the contest - we turn up some weeks eg freo but not others suns, dogs etc.

Giants are decent in the contest but structured poorly. Instead of just picking them apart we’d learn more by making it a contested style game.

I’d bring in some of our hard nuts in Morris and DGB. Day will come back if fit. Finn contests well. I’d leave Gunston and chad on sidelines to be cherry ripe for next month and give Ward another week at BH. Shiels and Howe to get squeezed out. Worp gets another chance (but if butchers ball again he’s out for Ward next week). With 2 months of footy left also time to try a few things. Let’s chuck CJ up forward for a half and see what happens. Having 3 overly atttacking players on hb line (scrim, CJ, Sicily) isn’t working. Need to go back to defend first, then attack.

In: Morris, DGB, Day, Finn
Out: Impey, shiels, Morrison, howe

Hardwick Blanck Morris
Scrim Sicily DGB
Finn Mitchell Bramble
Moore Kosi McDonald
Breust Lewis CJ
Reeves Jai Nash
I: Day, JOM, butler, worpel

FB: DGB - Sicily - Hardwick
HB: Morris- Blanck - Scrimshaw

MID: Reeves - Newcombe - Mitchell
MID: Day - Nash - Ward

HF: O'Meara - Gunston - Butler
FF: Breust - Lewis - Moore

INT: Cj - MacDonald - Worpel - Morrison
(Wingard)

Selection headaches are good. We have a lot of kids that we need to be getting games into at the moment. For mine Butler has to remain in the side for the rest of the year- Wingard as an impact sub I think is the way to go moving forward given his penchant for late game impact and calf issues.
Given we're looking to have more versatility in the side Mitchell remains in on name alone at this point- play him as an inside mid and stop dicking about with him- let others take the more versatile roles.
Morrison stays over Howe due to his versatility and ball use, Impey goes until he finds confidence/ability to defend.
Gunston I'm super iffy on, but I think has to come in to captain our forward line- potentially to be replaced later in the year by Serong/Jeka/Kosi given VFL form.
If fit all of CMac, Ward, Butler, Blanck, DGB and Newc stay in the side, with Newc maybe needing a rest at some point given the load that's been put on him.

Club is having a meet and greet with NSW/ACT members prior to the game. Justin Reeve and an assistant coach will be in attendence. Check your email for your invite. Limited numbers so get in quick. Offer closes 4pm 30 June. Hope to see some of you there.

FFS, he's 21 and he's played just over one single season. Lewis has been on our list for six years and has only just started to realise his potential. Short-sighted folk were saying the exact same things about Lewis four years ago. At least try to see beyond the end of your nose.
Please accept my apologies for upsetting you with my wrong opinion.

Note : You only needed to say ‘over one season’ …..saying one single season is poor grammar.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel like we've been having 4-5 changes every week now for a while now anyway, would prefer a settled side for at least the last 6 rounds. We should already know what we've got and picking based on last weeks form doesn't make anyone play their best footy.

I feel like we've been having 4-5 changes every week now for a while now anyway, would prefer a settled side for at least the last 6 rounds. We should already know what we've got and picking based on last weeks form doesn't make anyone play their best footy.

Part of being a rebuilding list mate.

We have been extra cautious with player's returning from injury. Young players will get rested at points. Some games you need more senior bodies cracking in.

We'll see DGB and Ward return to the side soon you'd think, Serong to debut. My guess is at some point Sam will also want to see how Reeves and Lynch work together.

We'll most likely see opportunities for players such as Morris, Saunders, Jeka, Downie(if fit) and Callow on the run home. Decisions will need to be made on them.

We'll have another 5 this week. We've been resting and rotating players. Plus we need to get games into high talent draft picks like DGB, Ward and Day.
Sam's clearly not worried about winning games at present. It's all about development and list management decisions from here.

We'll have another 5 this week. We've been resting and rotating players. Plus we need to get games into high talent draft picks like DGB, Ward and Day.
Sam's clearly not worried about winning games at present. It's all about development and list management decisions from here.
Nonetheless I need a reason to watch - game style and Wingard, Lewis, Moore, Jiath, etc.

Go HAWKS.

We'll most likely see opportunities for players such as Morris, Saunders, Jeka, Downie(if fit) and Callow on the run home. Decisions will need to be made on them.
Which ever ones of this list are OOC this year then surely we play them for rest of year to see if they're worth another contract? Its a no brainer for me. How do we know Saunders or Jeka aren't more suited to the fast paced more open AFL than VFL? now is the time to find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back