List Mgmt. 2022 Trade & List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes Polec may well be finished, but I am hopeful that isn't the case. I wouldn't mind if one of Mahony, Lazzaro or Spicer were on the list, just not all three.

For those three it is quite the investment in picks; # 34, #36 & #42.
We have to get better at drafting, It confuses me somewhat as to why we have *ed up so many second rounders?
1662507563989.png
Check out the amount of picks needed to get a 100 game player in the second round.
Every 2.7 times you pick a player in the range of picks 21-30 you get a 100 game player.
Second round picks are generally trash.
If one of Mahoney, Perez and Comben for example play 100 games we are ahead of the curve.
Trading future second round picks is an excellent idea (obviously for good players) while we are low on the ladder and other clubs over value the pick.
In short it is not just us that have trouble in the second round. Most clubs do.

Last edited:
Yes Polec may well be finished, but I am hopeful that isn't the case. I wouldn't mind if one of Mahony, Lazzaro or Spicer were on the list, just not all three.

For those three it is quite the investment in picks; # 34, #36 & #42.
We have to get better at drafting, It confuses me somewhat as to why we have *ed up so many second rounders?
Our new approach is to keep trading out our second rounders that way we can't f*ck it up!

So frustrating to have all of Polec, Spicer, Mahony and Lazzaro contracted. Polec is cooked and I don't think the other three make it.
Agree Polec is cooked we really should pay him out and open up another spot on the list. Mahony is well… Mahony, will see out his contract next year and that will be it. Spicer has a year to prove he belongs on an AFL list, over to you Phoenix. I'm not giving up on Charlie yet he is doing everything he can to be the best footballer he can be let's revisit this time next year after a year under Clarko.

Last edited:
Hopper ends up at Geelong. Richmond simply dont have the picks and will be hesitant to move their 2023 first rounder considering they will most likely have Cotchin, Riewoldt and Tarrant retire at end of that season. The way he is going body wise I reckon Prestia probably only has a couple of years left too.

Taranto - Richmond for 12 and 19
Hopper - Geelong for 18

Seems about right

I know people think Taranto is a Bull butcher but he is one of the best two way mids in the comp. If I was GWS I’d be filthy if I didn’t get a top 10 pick for him. Would North trade Simpkin for 12 & 19? I doubt it, and Taranto is a better all round footballer than Jy.

18 is unders for Hopper too. He was injured this year but last year he averaged nearly 27 disposals per game and 7 clearances. He is a gun inside mid.

I know people think Taranto is a Bull butcher but he is one of the best two way mids in the comp. If I was GWS I’d be filthy if I didn’t get a top 10 pick for him. Would North trade Simpkin for 12 & 19? I doubt it, and Taranto is a better all round footballer than Jy.

18 is unders for Hopper too. He was injured this year but last year he averaged nearly 27 disposals per game and 7 clearances. He is a gun inside mid.

So whats the solution? Richmond trade up those picks to get a first rounder? its the same net result.

View attachment 1501523
Check out the amount of picks needed to get a 100 game player in the second round.
Every 2.7 times you pick a player in the range of picks 21-30 you get a 100 game player.
Second round picks are generally trash.
If one of Mahoney, Perez and Comben for example play 100 games we are ahead of the curve.
Trading future second round picks is an excellent idea (obviously for good players) while we are low on the ladder and other clubs over value the pick.
In short it is not just us that have trouble in the second round. Most clubs do.
We had no second rounders in 2018 and since then we've picked Comben, Perez, Mahony, Lazarro, Spicer, Goater and Curtis. Only Goater was in the 20s too, looks likely to play 100 games. If Curtis and one other player get to 100 games we are ahead of that curve. Its quite possible that Comben, Perez (if he gets a contract) and Curtis get 100 games for the club and that would put us well ahead of that curve too. Mahony and Lazarro look like genuine depth. If we want to win a VFL flag (which seems an important part of a flag ready senior squad, especially over many seasons) we need the depth they will provide.

Those second round picks aren't necessarily bad ones all things considered.

I don’t know how you do it, but there needs to be some type of control around this. How can teams be allowed to negotiate with players without the capital to facilitate a trade? It shits me.

How do Richmond get Taranto and Hopper done?
Trade future picks etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's everyones thoughts on the below players?

Flynn Perez (23)
Charlie Lazzaro (23)
Kayne Turner (23)
Callum Coleman-Jones (22)
Jack Mahony (22)
Phoenix Spicer (21)
Cameron Zurhaar (20)
Tristan Xerri (20)

After collating 30 KPIs measured in our game and comparing the average data across the league (5 games played minimum) the above players all ranked below average in 20+/30 KPIs.

On the flip side of the data, it comes as no surprise that LDU (9), Jye (11) & Bailey Scott (13) took out the top 3 spots.
Flynn Perez (23) - keep
Charlie Lazzaro (23) - rookie / trade
Kayne Turner (23) - delist / rookie
Callum Coleman-Jones (22) - keep
Jack Mahony (22) - delist / rookie
Phoenix Spicer (21) - delist / rookie
Cameron Zurhaar (20) - keep
Tristan Xerri (20) - keep unless a club comes up with a deal too good to refuse.

So whats the solution? Richmond trade up those picks to get a first rounder? its the same net result.
Richmond do some trading to get a pick inside the top 10 then trade their future 1st as well.

Geelong who you’d expect to be top 4 again next year should at a minimum be trading both their current and future first round for Hopper.

We had no second rounders in 2018 and since then we've picked Comben, Perez, Mahony, Lazarro, Spicer, Goater and Curtis. Only Goater was in the 20s too, looks likely to play 100 games. If Curtis and one other player get to 100 games we are ahead of that curve. Its quite possible that Comben, Perez (if he gets a contract) and Curtis get 100 games for the club and that would put us ahead of that curve too. Mahony and Lazarro look like genuine depth. If we want to win a VFL flag (which seems an important part of a flag ready senior squad, especially over many seasons) we need the depth they will provide.

Those second round picks aren't necessarily bad ones all things considered.
Bergman was a second round pick last year also.
They all have a shot at sticking around.
Most second rounders require VFL development.
Not as many ready to go types left when we get to the second round.
Our guys are decent I think.
But it wont be the end of the world if a couple become failures.
In fact it is probably the most likely outcome.

I don’t know how you do it, but there needs to be some type of control around this. How can teams be allowed to negotiate with players without the capital to facilitate a trade? It shits me.

How do Richmond get Taranto and Hopper done?
I don't think its super hard with their current draft hand.

Pick 12 and 19 for Taranto
Future first and future 3rd for Hopper

Something like this isn't too far off the mark.

Richmond do some trading to get a pick inside the top 10 then trade their future 1st as well.

Geelong who you’d expect to be top 4 again next year should at a minimum be trading both their current and future first round for Hopper.
Are Gee able to trade their 1st? They must be getting close to having to use one?

It'll come down to take what you're offered for Taranto or lose him to someone else on the PSD for nothing.

Given Hopper is contracted, GWS should be telling Richmond to eat a bag of dicks unless the somehow conjure a top 10 pick.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Bergman was a second round pick last year also.
They all have a shot at sticking around.
Most second rounders require VFL development.
Not as many ready to go types left when we get to the second round.
Our guys are decent I think.

But it wont be the end of the world if a couple become failures.
In fact it is probably the most likely outcome.
Forgot about Bergman.

I agree with the bolded. We need a squad of 35 good players and another 7-10 who can push for a place in the senior side. That's the ideal, but to get that players like Lazarro and Mahony will be in that 30 - 35 range. Ideally they are playing well in the VFL and both sides follow the same system so when they are needed they slot in with minimal stress.

Our third round (and later) picking is pretty good. Xerri is an okay ruck despite the criticism. Larkey and Bull are great value. We got Mason Wood, Brown, Ford even Kayne Turner - we seem to be able top find good forwards later on. We also got Bailey Scott and Curtis Taylor in the late 40s, they are in that range of 31-50 that i was referring to with the other second rounders. Both over 50 games now and a good chance to play 100.

Forgot about Bergman.

I agree with the bolded. We need a squad of 35 good players and another 7-10 who can push for a place in the senior side. That's the ideal, but to get that players like Lazarro and Mahony will be in that 30 - 35 range. Ideally they are playing well in the VFL and both sides follow the same system so when they are needed they slot in with minimal stress.

Our third round (and later) picking is pretty good. Xerri is an okay ruck despite the criticism. Larkey and Bull are great value. We got Mason Wood, Brown, Ford even Kayne Turner - we seem to be able top find good forwards later on. We also got Bailey Scott and Curtis Taylor in the late 40s, they are in that range of 31-50 that i was referring to with the other second rounders. Both over 50 games now and a good chance to play 100.
Our third round picks have been pretty decent all things considered.
1662510996695.png
This is probably the best third rounder all time.
In the running at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back