Banter TRTT Part 13: 2021 Goodbye (To 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Use to be the first album was raw but new, clearly defined in style, then following albums are overproduced, more homogeneous

Now with kids growing up with producing stuff on their laptops everything is overproduced from the start, even the stuff that’s trying to capture that faux rawness.

Imo.

Faux rawness is a great description. That's how I'd describe stuff like Wolfmother or Greta Van Fleet. Faux rawness imitations of limited 70s recording technology.

Faux rawness is a great description. That's how I'd describe stuff like Wolfmother or Greta Van Fleet. Faux rawness imitations of limited 70s recording technology.
Limited technology aside you had some great producers & engineers back then plus analogue tech is pleasant to the ear.

It's amazing how great some recordings from the 60's & 70's sound tbh it's a bit like old films with hands on special effects, makes people inventive & more appealing to the senses than digital harshness... & CGI.

Limited technology aside you had some great producers & engineers back then plus analogue tech is pleasant to the ear.

It's amazing how great some recordings from the 60's & 70's sound tbh it's a bit like old films with hands on special effects, makes people inventive & more appealing to the senses than digital harshness... & CGI.

How much of it had to do with the gear they were using? We can go on about analog recording techniques all day but I reckon tube amps and passive pickups gave players a more unique sound. You couldn't just dial in a tone and go for it, players had to make a sound their own.

You're right about engineers. I reckon a lot of that had to do with recording budgets. Everyone shits on the record labels but the reality is they'd give a band 100s of thousands to go record an album and spend a long time in the studio and the end result usually showed that. Those days are long gone.

For contrast:

7RkMYH.gif

Strange hearing 'no hooks' used as a description and criticism of metal, hooks are by design, pleasing to the ear, with nice melodies. Not exactly something a lot of metal bands aspire to. They have to be BROOTOOL

Strange hearing 'no hooks' used as a description and criticism of metal, hooks are by design, pleasing to the ear, with nice melodies. Not exactly something a lot of metal bands aspire to. They have to be BROOTOOL
Bizarre take hooks can be anything from a recurring riff to a chorus to a vocal inflection, also stomping on a distortion pedal doesn't eliminate melody.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brutality as a descriptor usually only applies to Death Metal, and there's plenty of that that's memorable or catchy.

Having travelled around India a while back, that's probably the cleanest water they've ever drunk that didn't come in a bottle.

How much of it had to do with the gear they were using? We can go on about analog recording techniques all day but I reckon tube amps and passive pickups gave players a more unique sound. You couldn't just dial in a tone and go for it, players had to make a sound their own.

You're right about engineers. I reckon a lot of that had to do with recording budgets. Everyone shits on the record labels but the reality is they'd give a band 100s of thousands to go record an album and spend a long time in the studio and the end result usually showed that. Those days are long gone.
It's great that anyone can record these days though as opposed to the chosen few who could spend two months getting the right drum sound at Abbey Road or the Record Plant... getting the sound of those sort of studios is another matter of course.

That show was such a hidden gem. My daughter is fond of saying "Hellooooww. Friendssss." in her best Jim voice.
I’m shocked that it’s not more well known, and upon recommending it to friends they kinda go sure, then never watch it.

The actors that play the parents dons great job, sad the dad (forget his name) passed away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back