Rumour 2022 Rumour Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Often wonder what would happen if the AFL had a similar breakaway league like the NRL super league incident from the 90's

Say Brisbane, Sydney, Adelaide,West Coast, Fremantle, Power and say 2-3 Vic teams went there own way

On ASUS_I003D using BigFooty.com mobile app
There’s no incentive for a Vic team to leave.

I was hoping a few Vic Clubs would fold, like cockroaches they survived of course.
The interstate clubs should start their own league. Invite a couple of Vic clubs into it and call it the Real AFL. Maybe the LIV Golf backers want a piece of Aussie rules football as well. I'm completely over the VFL masquerading as a national game.The other 8 clubs can have their vfl as they do now.

Last edited:

There’s no incentive for a Vic team to leave.
Victoria is the most concentrated Aussie rules market, but not the biggest.

If the non Vic clubs began a breakaway league, all of SA, WA, NSW, Qld has greater population and therefore greater appeal to sponsors and broadcasters alike.

We just need Greg Norman to have a chat with his Saudi mates to get it up and going.😜

Often wonder what would happen if the AFL had a similar breakaway league like the NRL super league incident from the 90's

Say Brisbane, Sydney, Adelaide,West Coast, Fremantle, Power and say 2-3 Vic teams went there own way

On ASUS_I003D using BigFooty.com mobile app
The VFL had some serious financial issues in the mid 80s and was essentially saved by the entry fees paid by WCE, Brisbane and the other expansion teams.
TV rights were nothing compared to what they are now, so expansion was their only hope at the time.

Unfortunately the other states weren't aware of this, otherwise we could have seen the Victorian comp implode and then a proper national comp started. In the end though all they lost was Fitzroy, other clubs avoided merging and awful clubs like St Kilda play on in the national league.

Interesting read re; Bowes.. I thought it was just general chit chat that we were interested in him. Guess not.

"Geelong, Hawthorn, Essendon, Adelaide and Brisbane led the charge for his signature and more were banging down the door, with his manager Robbie D’Orazio capping discussions with clubs at five.

The Cats are on the cusp of securing their man but it was Hawthorn, led by coach Sam Mitchell, who gave the most impressive pitch and offered more money in the last two years of a four-year deal.

Adelaide was the most desperate to get him while Brisbane was understood to be incentivised by the draft pick and points on offer."

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor...n/news-story/fe70d07d2dcde91b876ca9cc6ab29385

Interesting read re; Bowes.. I thought it was just general chit chat that we were interested in him. Guess not.

"Geelong, Hawthorn, Essendon, Adelaide and Brisbane led the charge for his signature and more were banging down the door, with his manager Robbie D’Orazio capping discussions with clubs at five.

The Cats are on the cusp of securing their man but it was Hawthorn, led by coach Sam Mitchell, who gave the most impressive pitch and offered more money in the last two years of a four-year deal.

Adelaide was the most desperate to get him while Brisbane was understood to be incentivised by the draft pick and points on offer."

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor...n/news-story/fe70d07d2dcde91b876ca9cc6ab29385
At least we had a crack. It’s a shame we couldn’t convince him.

To summarise. We were the most desperate, Hawthorn were the most impressive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bowes has made a big mistake, good luck getting a regular gig at geelong, they were just after 7 to land Clark.

I'm so baffled as to why Bowes didn't pick Hawthorn, more money and guaranteed best 22.

Why choose Geelong?
Because he's sick of playing in a team that doesn't make finals.

If you're getting paid at least $1.6m over a few years why wouldn't you try and enjoy it rather than asking for a bit more cash

I think the footy clubs needs to spend some of it's cash and buy up as many farms as we can. Then we have something to sell and bring in an elite powerful quick big bodied mid just for starters. Maybe Reid is decent list manager after all and his problem in the past he hasn't had any farms to sell.

this trade should have been banned by AFL
whats to stop geelong trading bowes next year, now with no financial terms on his head

absolute joke

Yeah it's a complete joke

What happened to Ken Wood scrutinising and only rubber stamping trades that he deemded as being fair?

Yeah it's a complete joke

What happened to Ken Wood scrutinising and only rubber stamping trades that he deemded as being fair?

Every single non-Vic team should be screaming in the media about this. It is the most lop-sided trade in history, and favouring the reigning premiers.

The trade should be prevented.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2022 Rumour Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back