Opinion The 'Carlton related stuff that doesn't need it's own thread' thread Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

don't entourage him........

p7893226_b_h10_ac.jpg

I'm sensing an unfair dropping of JSOS again. If we look at pace and scoreboard impact as a third forward, Jack can be fair game. But he does so many thing a midfielder can do and he's a tireless worker who provides great linking up.
How would it be unfair? Wouldn't it be equally unfair to deprive another player of a game, simply because of a surname? I don't think our MC are just going to annoy supporters by "unfairly" not picking someone.

If the 3 players involved were named Smith, Peters and Deacon it would be easier. List all their attributes, and just as importantly, list the attributes of potential replacements i.e. can they perform the same role but add more to it.

In his second season in 2017, "Smith" kicked 19 goals and had 6 assists in 20 matches. In his seventh season 2022, he kicked 17 goals in 21 games and had 4 assists. In other words, over 5 years he has gone backwards in the areas that he is mainly in the team for. 4 assists over a full season is simply not good enough, whichever way you dress it up. If he is such a good link up player i.e. delivering in to the forward line, how is it acceptable to create a goal from said delivery a whole 4 times a season?

He was dropped in round 20 and only got back in because Pitto's knee was buggered and TDK had worn himself out. TDK has had a full preseason and looks a significantly better player. Pitto's fitness may mean he is not quite ready and there will no doubt be other opportunities open up for Jack.

IMO it is clear that our best option is to make Jack sub. He is a useful replacement for most areas on the ground, and he allows us to sub off one of the other 2 (assuming we get to choose), and not be disadvantaged by only having a tiring ruck for the last quarter.

Last edited:
Reckon it's pretty silly these days to promulgate the idea that Jack is treated a particular way because of his surname.
I'm not suggesting the club would in terms of selection. Voss already proved that in round 20.

It's some supporters who think of him differently. The poster can obviously see the potential demotion coming, otherwise why raise the issue? If it can be seen coming, then it can hardly be "unfair" can it?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How would it be unfair? Wouldn't it be equally unfair to deprive another player of a game, simply because of a surname? I don't think our MC are just going to annoy supporters by "unfairly" not picking someone.

If the 3 players involved were named Smith, Peters and Deacon it would be easier. List all their attributes, and just as importantly, list the attributes of potential replacements i.e. can they perform the same role but add more to it.

I feel slightly offended that you have reduced my defence of Silvagni down to his surname, when I actually articulated reasons other than his name.

I'm not suggesting the club would in terms of selection. Voss already proved that in round 20.

It's some supporters who think of him differently. The poster can obviously see the potential demotion coming, otherwise why raise the issue? If it can be seen coming, then it can hardly be "unfair" can it?

I can see it coming because it happened last year. I can see it coming because we struggle to find a dominant ruck so we try to wedge two rucks into the side to add up to one.

I see it coming because we started seeing SOS as only a 3rd forward and relief ruck, when his skillset suggests he has more strings to his bow than that.

I don't see it coming because I believe he isn't best 22.

I feel slightly offended that you have reduced my defence of Silvagni down to his surname, when I actually articulated reasons other than his name.
Why would you chop off the rest of my post where I did articulate other reasons?

The "name" part of it is not directed at you specifically. It is a supporter thing (not all). There is an inability to look at raw facts without being affected by what has gone before him.

By any measure, other than trying hard, he is under pressure to be in our best team. We don't want 3 rucks, and a forward of 7 years should be producing more in terms of scoreboard impact. He is vulnerable to our need to add more elite run. If he gets a game because he tries hard, that is an absolute indictment on a lot of other blokes.

I can see it coming because it happened last year. I can see it coming because we struggle to find a dominant ruck so we try to wedge two rucks into the side to add up to one.

I see it coming because we started seeing SOS as only a 3rd forward and relief ruck, when his skillset suggests he has more strings to his bow than that.

I don't see it coming because I believe he isn't best 22.
Yes, but because you want him in your 22, doesn't make it unfair if he's not. The selectors will pick the best team they can to try and win. If Jack's skillset demands a spot, he'll get one.

Every side picks 2 rucks, why would we not do it? Our strengths are amplified if we are winning the ruck battles.

Why would you chop off the rest of my post where I did articulate other reasons?

Probably because of the Smith, Peters and Deacon scenario that you played out making name the primary focus.

Yes, but because you want him in your 22, doesn't make it unfair if he's not. The selectors will pick the best team they can to try and win. If Jack's skillset demands a spot, he'll get one.

Every side picks 2 rucks, why would we not do it? Our strengths are amplified if we are winning the ruck battles.

That's pretty much how fandom works. I believe JSOS is best 22 all day long. You don't. Have you ever advocated for a player that your believe deserved to be in the seniors? Have you ever lamented a player being dropped because you don't think they deserved to be?

btw I think JSOS should be in the side even if we play 2 rucks, because he is not a ruck. He's a utility if anything. For me, he's a defensive half forward who can play the lead up role and he can play as an inside mid.

By any measure, other than trying hard, he is under pressure to be in our best team. We don't want 3 rucks, and a forward of 7 years should be producing more in terms of scoreboard impact. He is vulnerable to our need to add more elite run. If he gets a game because he tries hard, that is an absolute indictment on a lot of other blokes.
I'd say JSOS is the best kick going inside 50 we have. Only Saad comes close.

And if he did well enough last year to persuade you he's worthy of being considered a ruck... well, that's kind of an endorsement right there.

Sounds as though Robbie tarrant us in major doubt for round 1 with a hip injury. Who plays on Harry and Charlie if tarrant and gibcus are out? Grimes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back