Prediction Changes: Round 3 Vs West Coast Eagles + pre-match discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

When we are winning the ball quickly out of the centre the likes of Tabs, Amiss are unstoppable beacuse they can lead or fight one on one. When we take the long way home from the back line with ahalf a dozen uncontested backline marks, these guys are completely blanketed.

Our mids need to lift. North were waltzing out of the centee square with the ball on the weekend.

It's not as simple as saying they need to lift. They have limitations due to their small size, and nothing can overcome that.

LDU 6 centre clearances, Zurharr 4, Cunnington 4. These guys are wrecking balls with around 90kg of muscle and 188, 189, 185cm tall. Serong, Brayshaw, Aish, JOM, Switta simply can not come close to matching them physically, no matter how hard they try. Brodie spends much of the game on the bench and can't take 3 players on by himself when he is on.

This week is one of the few games where it might not be as big an issue. Gaff, Shuey, Kelly are similar in size to our main mids. Sheed is the only genuine mid of good size and hopefully we can cancel him out with Brodie.

They have a bunch of other 185-190cm players, but they are either green (Ginbey, Chesser, Hewett) or flankers (Hunt, Cole, Witherden, Duggan).

Walker is very instinctive when he gets his hands on the footy (that instinct is often wrong) but his first instinct is to take off.

We've been desperately missing that the past two weeks.

I genuinely feel that if:
1. Walker doesnt play.
and
2. We dont change the mix up forward.

We may actually be doomed with having a s**t coach. I've thought he was great from day one with the odd exception here or there, but i think he needs to make some real changes and they need to happen this week.
we tend to win games more often with him in the side than not so seems strange to me hes been left out. weve got the versatility and flexibility with players to get the best mix right yet weve stuck fat with what isnt working so far this season.

heres hoping some changes come quickly

Kelly will shark Darcy's taps. Like the two oppo midfield groups have been doing so far.
Joel Corey is mid coach now, isn't he? He needs to devise a better strategy than the tripe dished up over the first two rounds

This is a bit of storytelling. He literally took three steps. Enough to get balance (including a slight evasive step away from the North defender who was running at him closing down the space). Who were the better options? He hit a leading forward, who took it on his chest 40m out slight angle.

I don't know if you need all your players being contested beasts. Especially young players starting via outside positions.

Was his kicking ever really an issue? I don't think there's too much evidence to support the decision-making being a problem either. Having a proper look at his involvements and the balance of it shows his decision-making is high quality. More often than not his involvement finds a player in space.
Yes his kicking was an issue. His decision-making in defence and in transition is problematic as a rule. He is probably number one for damaging brain farts. He is in the team because he is a big body in a very small, slight midfield but doesn't bring to the table what Acres was able to.

Would love to see NoD and Johnson starting on the wing. NoD we know is one of our long term wings and seeing Johnson play for Peel has the potential to be the other - neat disposal, good evasiveness, good tank and competitive in the air.

Regarding Henry, he has a lot of the tools to make it but his decision making is just not there yet, especially when kicking inside 50.

Of the 5 inside 50’s he had vs NM only 1 was retained - and twice he was under no pressure with 2-3 players streaming inside 50 and twice he missed all of them, kicking it to the advantage of North defenders. Whether this is amended by playing more games or not we don’t know but it’s cost us a lot of scoring.

Kelly will shark Darcy's taps. Like the two oppo midfield groups have been doing so far.
Joel Corey is mid coach now, isn't he? He needs to devise a better strategy than the tripe dished up over the first two rounds
If Brayshaw and Serong are being asked to stand behind and tackle because they are not strong enough in the body or quick or smart enough to win the ball themselves, then logic tells me we should be looking elsewhere, for now.

Can't understand the calls for Treacy to come back in and yet I think he's going to be pretty good for us longer term.
Two games ago he had a game with zero marks, 3 disposals, several clangers which I assume were the several frees he gave away. Last weekend he didn't even play. There's gifting someone games but him coming back in would just be moronic.

On Pixel 4a using BigFooty.com mobile app
Both Amiss & Treacy had 3 disposals. Both lead at the ball carrier & had it kicked over their heads. Treacy gave away 2 free kicks & Amiss gave away 1. Not sure why its ok for Amiss to get another go & not Treacy. Jackson who is on the big bucks has had 1 mark in 2 games. Treacy the only one out of these 3 to kick a goal.

Last qtr Defensive 50.
Are you referring to the one where he stayed goalside of Cunnington and didn't get sucked into the contest when Wilson was closest and in the best position to execute the tackle? That one? Seriously?

At worst the situation is ambivalent and not clear cut, but there's a fair argument it was smart play. In particular as they only got the goal after a further chain of possessions and from further out on the angle after an exceptional long bomb from Davies-Uniacke.

Yes his kicking was an issue. His decision-making in defence and in transition is problematic as a rule. He is probably number one for damaging brain farts. He is in the team because he is a big body in a very small, slight midfield but doesn't bring to the table what Acres was able to.
I see these sorts of things written all the time. Not sure I see all that much evidence watching it closely. Specific examples?

Oh...and "big body"???

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would love to see NoD and Johnson starting on the wing. NoD we know is one of our long term wings and seeing Johnson play for Peel has the potential to be the other - neat disposal, good evasiveness, good tank and competitive in the air.

Regarding Henry, he has a lot of the tools to make it but his decision making is just not there yet, especially when kicking inside 50.

Of the 5 inside 50’s he had vs NM only 1 was retained - and twice he was under no pressure with 2-3 players streaming inside 50 and twice he missed all of them, kicking it to the advantage of North defenders. Whether this is amended by playing more games or not we don’t know but it’s cost us a lot of scoring.
Went back and watched all his inside 50's for the game
1st one - hits Tabs under relatively no pressure - Tabs doesnt take his kick due to running out of time

2nd one - From a mark, has a nice little kick to Switta's advantage that's spoiled by Kangaroo player

3rd I50 - streaming toward goal under no pressure and fluffs it kicking to Freddy which is an incredibly hard kick and the only player in the 50 with someone sitting on him. Now, this is entirely Henry's fault but Jackson also needs to be better here. He points towards Freddy instead of calling for it and stopping, giving another option. Still, Henry has to be better and he cant ****ing this kick up
1679976580455.png
1679976671709.png

4th inside 50 - No pressure, kicks to Banfield's advantage off the left but spoiled with close checking from the North defender, Schultz follows up and gets a high tackle to have a shot on goal

I couldnt find the 5th and couldnt be bothered back through the game to find it haha but was it the other one under no pressure he ****ed up coz I couldnt see it

Whatever we do we need to make changes.

Doing the same thing again and again hoping for a different result is as the cliche goes.... insane.

Change up the midfield mix. Hit up more 45s. Have more movement forward. Change the forward mix.

If we don't win this week we will not be making the 8. And then JOM, Taberner, Fyfe, Walters etc etc etc may as well play for Peel. And we play the kids, trade Darcy and throw out the bathwater.

Lose this week and Bell and JLs jobs are on the line.

Pressure creates diamonds. Let's see what they are made of.

heave ho!

In- Erasmus, NOD
Out- Bainfield, Hughes

B Ryan Pearce Wilson
HB Young Chapman Clark
C O’Driscoll Brodie Aish
HF Fredrick Amiss Switkowski
F Taberner Cox Schultz
FOLL- Darcy Serong Brayshaw
I/C- O’Meara, Walters, Jackson, Erasmus
Sub- Henry

In- Erasmus, NOD
Out- Bainfield, Hughes

B Ryan Pearce Wilson
HB Young Chapman Clark
C O’Driscoll Brodie Aish
HF Fredrick Amiss Switkowski
F Taberner Cox Schultz
FOLL- Darcy Serong Brayshaw
I/C- O’Meara, Walters, Jackson, Erasmus
Sub- Henry
Ahh yes, even the neutrals are huffing supporter hopium on "Bainfield" and Hughes. Welcome to the club

That's gibberish.
Okay, guys, here's the plan. Midfield crew: at the stoppages, when Darcy wins the tap and knocks it at his feet, check to see if your direct opponent wants to pick up the ball, and if so, stand back and let him, as that's the polite thing to do. Defenders: when you've got hold of the ball, take a look upfield, and if there are any opposition players anywhere on the oval, take the opportunity to play some kick-to-kick amongst yourselves. Forwards: if by the good grace of the collective deities of the world you find that your teammates are moving the ball towards our forward 50, be sure to plant your feet firmly on the ground and wave your hands in the air.

Any questions?

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction Changes: Round 3 Vs West Coast Eagles + pre-match discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back