Prediction Changes: Round 3 Vs West Coast Eagles + pre-match discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

JL giving Luke Ryan coach's votes just shows how out of touch with the modern game we are as a club.

Either that or Clarkson is just trolling us. Fair dinkum.
So in both games Ryan has been voted in the best 5 on ground by all 3 coaches now.

so the options are:
  • Ross, JL and Clarkson are all trolling us
  • Ross, JL and Clarkson are all horrible judges of what’s important for winning a game of footy
  • Luke Ryan is playing good footy

I don’t consider myself a better footy brain than those 3 coaches, so the only conclusion I can draw is that Ryan is playing good footy. (And I can’t imagine any coach uses the coaches votes to troll opposition fans)

I was talking about our game on the North forum and mentioned we got completely rogered in the midfield last time we played, just the massive size and power of the Freo midfield last year and you still had Erasmus and O'Driscoll playing in that game.

Mundy retiring, Acres moving and us getting back Cunnington and playing Zurhaar in the middle for us and Powell put on 6kg of muscle over the pre-season and the dynamic shifted, we went from 29 vs 47 clearances last year to 45 vs 30, it was a massive turnaround. There is a lot more pressure on Brayshaw and Serong now, a huge load to carry and I think you need to fast track players like Erasmus and O'Driscoll.

I think Erasmus was talking during the pre-season on maybe playing wing more with Acres gone but the kid is quality, top 10 pick. If he is not going to get games
So in both games Ryan has been voted in the best 5 on ground by all 3 coaches now.

so the options are:
  • Ross, JL and Clarkson are all horrible judges of what’s important for winning a game of footy

I don’t consider myself a better footy brain than those 3 coaches, so the only conclusion I can draw is that Ryan is playing good footy. (And I can’t imagine any coach uses the coaches votes to troll opposition fans)
In terms of intercepting he’s doing fine. Thought he was actually good for the first couple quarters, but he kills us offensively, and was no where near our best players yesterday.

I don’t understand how he got coaches votes this game tbh. Thought even Wilson did better.

so the options are:

Yeh seriously
Ryan has credit in the bank
We’ve got bigger problems than him having no one reliable to kick to so taking the long bomb option………oh wait ?!

Correct me if I'm wrong but Clark could easily run onto that and then it's a straight shoot up the corridor? Hard for the North player to defend because he has to double back to get there and we have support just outside the 50 arc.

Doesn't the North player in front of the umpire comes across and stands the mark if Ryan chips short to Clark. The ball stays inside 50m and is just moved centrally. How do we know if its a kick that opens up the play? Someone else saying we have a spare in the area...we have a spare on the periphery of the screenshot. An AFL player can cover about 15-20m to close down space from a kick in about 2 seconds.

Doesn't the North player in front of the umpire comes across and stands the mark if Ryan chips short to Clark. The ball stays inside 50m and is just moved centrally. How do we know if its a kick that opens up the play? Someone else saying we have a spare in the area...we have a spare on the periphery of the screenshot. An AFL player can cover about 15-20m to close down space from a kick in about 2 seconds.
Sorry JL.

Awkward Season 4 GIF by The Office

Sorry JL.

Awkward Season 4 GIF by The Office

One they actually highlighted during the game was when Chapman had the ball in roughly the same spot as Ryan does in your example and Brereton commentating said if he just kicks it over the top he's got someone out on his own on the boundary and Chapman didn't take it. Kicked it high into the centre of the ground.

Pretty obvious he should have put it here:
View attachment 1641928

Correct me if I'm wrong but Clark could easily run onto that and then it's a straight shoot up the corridor? Hard for the North player to defend because he has to double back to get there and we have support just outside the 50 arc.
Absolutely shocked who has ball in hand.

Last edited:
Can't understand the calls for Treacy to come back in and yet I think he's going to be pretty good for us longer term.
Two games ago he had a game with zero marks, 3 disposals, several clangers which I assume were the several frees he gave away. Last weekend he didn't even play. There's gifting someone games but him coming back in would just be moronic.

On Pixel 4a using BigFooty.com mobile app

Out: Banfield, Hughes, Taberner
In: Johnson, Walker, Sturt

Banfield - doesn't do enough. Not a forward, not a midfielder, a sub
Hughes - I love him but he is not a winger he's a backup defender
Tabs - Injured or in poor condition and still hasn't learnt to play with other talls

Johnson - need something (anything?) in the midfield, best of the young blokes from preseason
Walker - has an attacking mindset, tries to make things happen.
Sturt - midsize forward that can kick? Why isn't he in already?

Young/Chapman/Clark/Walker, at least one of these blokes has to be a midfielder. It's a deadset waste having all our best attacking players in defence. They are talented enough to learn another position. No more next year or two years time, start now!
Great analysis. I cannot for the life of me understand how Sturt isn’t getting a crack.

The Saints and North flooded their defensive 50 each time we stalled, defense then clean it up and punish us on the rebound.

We need a quicker run into the forward 50 - forwards leading and mids getting decisive without second-guessing it.

I actually thought that was a snapshot of us going into our fifty tbh. If it was in their 50 it carried more risk. Don't think Ryan is confident he has that kick in him. Bit strange really.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't understand the calls for Treacy to come back in and yet I think he's going to be pretty good for us longer term.
Two games ago he had a game with zero marks, 3 disposals, several clangers which I assume were the several frees he gave away. Last weekend he didn't even play. There's gifting someone games but him coming back in would just be moronic.

On Pixel 4a using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agreed. Can't see that there's any chance of him playing against us.

I actually thought that was a snapshot of us going into our fifty tbh. If it was in their 50 it carried more risk. Don't think Ryan is confident he has that kick in him. Bit strange really.

I'm just wanting to see more than just a still camera shot with a red circle drawn on it to say that it was the correct kick to take.

Poster invited comment by saying "correct me if I'm wrong" and I'm only suggesting that he might not be right.

We were looking at a game where we were smashed at centre clearances and where there were multiple players on our team with multiple skill errors on the night so highlighting one possible missed play doesn't really separate it out from the other things that went wrong...and I wouldn't be dropping Ryan to set an example or just to confirm that he's overrated by the users of bigfooty. (Probably underrated as nobody gave him votes except for the two coaches).

Last edited:
In fact with Henry, I reckon if you went back and looked at it, he should have had more score involvements if anyone inside 50 could hold a mark. He had a couple of awesome kicks to Switta, Darcy and Jackson where they were dropped. Yes, he also completely ****ed two up
Bit of a masochistic thing to do but I went back and watched the first half. Henry has pretty good game sense....finds a lot of open space. If we can get a quick transition game going, he will be valuable as a link up player.

In
NOD
Sturt
johnson
Walters
out
hughes
tabs
banfield
wilson

aish moves back into defence johnson and NOD on the wings
Jackson, Amiss and Sturt as the key forwards?
Would get monstered by Barrass, McGovern and Hurn.
May be the week NOT to drop Tabs. Need a decent sized body down there to compete.

His kicking action also sucks. Always looping, never penetrating or flat. His kicking I50 is always high and so easy for opposition to track down and spoil or mark.
Kicking action? Not sure whether there are any additional scoring bonuses for kicking action. Do we need to have some quiet words with the Russian judge?

The looping kicks thing is not true at all if you actually watch his kicks in total. He has a full range on display. Spear passes, surgical loops, and longer penetrators (don't google that one).

Heres my unexciting changes :)
Fyfe (May be fit apparently) for Banners.
Son Son in and Freddy to sub.
Rationale is that Fyfe will draw a decent defender and provide a contest in the air.
Freddy to sub offers some leg speed later in the game, while a full game from Walters will likely end up creating 5 goals (3 to him and 2 he sets up).

Heres my unexciting changes :)
Fyfe (May be fit apparently) for Banners.
Son Son in and Freddy to sub.
Rationale is that Fyfe will draw a decent defender and provide a contest in the air.
Freddy to sub offers some leg speed later in the game, while a full game from Walters will likely end up creating 5 goals (3 to him and 2 he sets up).
From our recruiting, drafting this doesn’t make sense?
Why add Corbett, Emmett and keep Sturt?
Besides Erasmus has a style similar to Fyfe.
If Nathan is truly injured, history is full of players out for months with foot problems.
When do we change?

Jackson, Amiss and Sturt as the key forwards?
Would get monstered by Barrass, McGovern and Hurn.
May be the week NOT to drop Tabs. Need a decent sized body down there to compete.
Tabs has been subbed out twice with sore legs. Until he gets over that he is a liability. Treacy will play tabs place.

The fastest ever AFL sprint over 20m in controlled and unfatigued conditions is 2.75 seconds. Most would be over 3 seconds. The North defenders have to react and change direction and might be able to cover 10m before it gets to Clark.

There is enough grass around someone of Clark's speed that he should have enough space to play on and try to create something. It might not work. Maybe it does get closed down if he doesn't play on. Ryan might shank it to a defender. They might stuff up a handball chain. Who knows. Good chance our forwards are doing something stupid up the field. But the whole point isn't that the play might not work, it is that we won't try it. The default is always the safe option.

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction Changes: Round 3 Vs West Coast Eagles + pre-match discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back