List Mgmt. 2023 Trade & List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edit: will update if ppl happy for this to sticky

Ok starting the hit list of names mentioned in any rumour as linked to us for 2023 trade period.
  • Mac Andrew
  • Hunter Clark
  • Zac Fisher
  • Sam Flanders
  • Mitch Georgiades
  • Liam Henry
  • Dougal Howard
  • Lewis Melican
  • Jack Silvagni
  • Dylan Stephens
  • Adam Tomlinson

Last edited:
With ruckmen and Fritsch removed and Corr added in.

10 vs 8. Closer than I'd have guessed.

Cold day in hell when we're banking on CCJ as a KPF though.
Would give my leftie for Van Rooyen..

4 rucks will probably skew us.

We have two genuine KPFs and two genuine KPDs 😬

Edit: you can use filters on the AFL stats website
Teams with established midfields and game plans like Richmond, Sydney, Geelong, Melbourne can (and do) generally play with more than 2+1 KPF/KPB and 2 rucks.

Take a look at the depth Richmond run with. They are dripping with KPP and they lost CCJ 15 months ago.

Interested if anyone knows a way to query league-wide lists?

I'd be curious how our number of key position height/position players compares across the league. My hunch is most teams have a couple of developing KPFs and 1x KPD in their VFL side but it's unproven.

Am aware of Jacob Edwards but there's no Nick Larkey or Majak Daw building up back there as backfill if needed.
I did it by hand last year. Go to afl stats pro and filter by position and club. 4-5 KPDs is normal, and will include 3rd-tall types.

"And if my grandmother had wheels, she would have been a bike"

I still reckon Corr and Dawson aren't proper KPPs.
If you think our KPP depth is adequate, you don't know football.
here's last year’s league-wide, and before we picked up Dawson. 4 KPDs on the list is not particularly unusual, and is certainly not the smoking gun of list management crimes that people wanted to make out around here.

C5BBC2C6-7241-4BD7-BC81-EE7FE28B5870.jpeg
F94BFFA9-70B8-4BC7-8A8A-8E1A06485296.jpeg

here's last year’s league-wide, and before we picked up Dawson. 4 KPDs on the list is not particularly unusual, and is certainly not the smoking gun of list management crimes that people wanted to make out around here.

View attachment 1650900
View attachment 1650901
It is when one player M.McGuinness was a cat-b beanpole who had never played a game and the other was nothing more than an honest journeyman. So, we had 2 reliable KPBs.

View attachment 1650900
View attachment 1650901
Heaps missing for other clubs there, and two of those on North's list there aren't genuine KPDs.

Payne and Joyce for Brisbane.
Carlton lost Jones unexpectedly.
Balta for Richmond and arguably Biggie.
Esava for Geelong as genuine KP utility.

For those without missing players:

All 4 of Freo's were AFL quality, vastly different situation.

Dogs criticised as thin, but had a billion key forwards, WCE are shit mismanagers of their list, who are the only two we keep company with on that front in terms of numbers alone. When you consider Corr is a third defender first and foremost (otherwise we'd need to include everyone else's third defenders - Jiath, Stewart, etc.) and McGuinness was never a KPD, then we keep company with no one.

The KPF issue is even worse and works to compound the KPD issue. Lots of sides have utility swingmen that they can turn to as well.

I stand by my point that we're going to get bent over in salary negotiations because of this. It sucks.

Last edited:
It is when one player M.McGuinness was a cat-b beanpole who had never played a game and the other was nothing more than an honest journeyman. So, we had 2 reliable KPBs.
Every club has one or two borderline-at-best. Adelaide had McAsey who didn’t even want to play football. * had BZT and somebody called J Eyre. Carlton were running with Kemp & O McDonald. Hawthorn had development project DGB and journeyman potato Kyle Hartigan. Geelong won a flag with a bunch of ok role players as KPDs.

Ed Richards (WB) signs a two-year contract extension. Video - Bulldogs Media | Western Bulldogs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Every club has one or two borderline-at-best. Adelaide had McAsey who didn’t even want to play football. * had BZT and somebody called J Eyre. Carlton were running with Kemp & O McDonald. Hawthorn had development project DGB and journeyman potato Kyle Hartigan. Geelong won a flag with a bunch of ok role players as KPDs.

Think that's a bit misleading Rob. McGuinness AFAIK never player CHB. He certainly hadn't prior to the occasion Luff declared him as an option there.

McCasey was a KPD his attitude notwithstanding. The other guys excluding Kemp were all recognised as tall defenders by role.

McGuinness was a wing, 3rd forward then was mysteriously tagged as a KPD for statistical reasons when Tarrant unexpectedly left.

Think that's a bit misleading Rob. McGuinness AFAIK never player CHB. He certainly hadn't prior to the occasion Luff declared him as an option there.

McCasey was a KPD his attitude notwithstanding. The other guys excluding Kemp were all recognised as tall defenders by role.

McGuinness was a wing, 3rd forward then was mysteriously tagged as a KPD for statistical reasons when Tarrant unexpectedly left.

I don't agree with that. I'd always been under the impression he'd play as a kpd or intercepting defender, possibly a wing but not primarily. Luff's comments didn't surprise me at all. I thought that was always the plan and they were just confident he'd developed well.

I don't agree with that. I'd always been under the impression he'd play as a kpd or intercepting defender, possibly a wing but not primarily. Luff's comments didn't surprise me at all. I thought that was always the plan and they were just confident he'd developed well.

Agree to disagree my friend.

I never saw any mention him playing as a KPD for us until Luff declared it in the Q&A when scrutinised.

End of 2020 when he re-signed: "“Matt has shown he has potential and we will continue to work with him to develop his craft as a forward,” North GM Football Brady Rawlings told North Media." Yet one year later he's trotted out as a replacement for Robbie Tarrant.

Without getting too creative about AFL/VFL opponents - just imagine what a 1 game Charlie Comben would've done to him 1 on 1 in an intra-club.

I only remember watching him in the VFL in the backline until one game in 2021 when he played forward and did okay.

I know I've got posts in here from before Luff making that comment where I was saying our progression is good for KPDs - Taz/Walker, Mckay and McGuiness was good because they were all about three years apart and could develop over time but we might need another one to shore up McGuinesses age range. Might have even been hopeful Maj could have got back to some half decent form on the backline as well.

Its kind of funny how that turned out a year or two later.:oops:

Anyway i remember being shocked that people were shocked at Luff's comments about McGuiness cos I thought that was the plan at that stage.

Not that it matters.

Nothing wrong with our list management. I mean look at this:

Attachments

• 0039D721-8C8D-47A9-B501-45492CF2DFAE.jpeg
    0039D721-8C8D-47A9-B501-45492CF2DFAE.jpeg
    230.7 KB · Views: 198
James Jordon keeps getting dropped by Melbourne for some reason. 22, a decent winger and nice decision maker, could easily get him over the line for a third.

With continuity (which he isn't getting), I think it's a decent consideration.

James Jordon keeps getting dropped by Melbourne for some reason. 22, a decent winger and nice decision maker, could easily get him over the line for a third.

Jordan, Chandler and Sparrow would all be worth targeting. They are all tough, role players who could do with more midfield exposure.

Unrestricted free agent also due to being previously delisted so no trade needed

Likewise Shultz from freo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back