Coach Adam Simpson Megathread est. 2017 - Staying for 2024, Lyon’s Cryin’

Will Simpson be Head Coach at WCE in 2024

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, it’s been over 24 hours now.

I’ll be fairly disappointed (not surprised, but still disappointed) if it gets to close of business today and the only acknowledgement of the worst loss in club history is that 50 second clip of Stocks fishing for quotes about how important the fans are.

Disappointed it is then

Disappointed it is then

Apparently the chairman has “addressed the media”, which may only be Code Sports, who put all their material behind a paywall.

Pretty poor substitute for addressing the fans, in my view.

New coach isn't going to change anything, here. The list is cooked, and the injuries are exacerbating current issues. Went all or nothing with the Kelly trade and didn't worry about what the repercussions would be. Spoilers - we ended up with nothing.

We've struggled to identify midfield talent for the best part of the past 10 years. Yeo coming on as strongly as he did helped to paper over that inadequacy, but we haven't drafted young midfielders. We've been screaming about it on this board. List management and recruiters need looking at.

Sacking the coach will bring on the warm fuzzies and the delusion of doing something while the rot remains at the club.
How can I give this BGO multiple likes.

Apparently the chairman has “addressed the media”, which may only be Code Sports, who put all their material behind a paywall.

I don’t think it’s going to appease many people although I’m not sure what would other than Nisbett and/or Simpson being sacrificed to the football gods

West Coast chairman Paul Fitzpatrick has backed coach Adam Simpson to guide the club’s rebuild and chief executive Trevor Nisbett to remain in place in “the medium term” in the wake of the club’s disastrous 116-point loss to Hawthorn in Launceston.
But he indicated a shift in approach to the club’s senior players with an emphasis on “planning for the worst” in gauging their ability to return from injuries and make an ongoing impact.

Fitzpatrick accepted criticism of the club’s poor performance against Hawthorn but said the youth and compromised preparation of the team had to be factored into the result.

“There is a lot of disappointment and that is to be expected when you get beaten like that,” Fitzpatrick told CODE Sports. “There probably wasn’t the effort and energy we expected from the group. But, having said that, it was a very young group that went out there yesterday and I think that has to be expected when a group is that young.”

The coach

Simpson has now won five of his last 41 games in charge at West Coast and his team has not been closer than 40 points to a rival since their round two win over GWS in the club’s only win of the season.

Fitzpatrick said he retained “full confidence” in Simpson, the club’s 2018 premiership coach.

“I do. This season and last season have been really difficult for various reasons and I think Adam has handled it very well,” Fitzpatrick said. “There is no doubt that it takes a toll. You wouldn’t be human if it didn’t. The constant examination in the media will take a toll.

“But the way he handles the players – his effort and enthusiasm – hasn’t waned. We know he is a good coach. He is going to be coaching a different squad to when he first came to the club with a greater emphasis on development.

“But I am sure he will be able to acquit himself well.”

The chief executive

Nisbett has been the CEO at West Coast since 1999 and, alongside Simpson, is the scalp the club’s most vocal critics are crying out for.

Fitzpatrick predicted Nisbett would remain in place for “the medium term”.

“I have got full confidence in Trevor to see us through the predicament we are in at the moment,” he said. “His experience in having dealt with these situations before is invaluable. I certainly expect him to be in place for the medium term.

“Having said that, we all know Trevor has done the job for a long time and the time will come when he will move on.”

When asked what the medium term meant in a football context, he added: “The medium term means he is certainly not leaving this year. I would expect he would see us through for a reasonable time yet. I just can’t be precise on these things. He is in place and I think he will be in place for a good time yet.”

The mid-season draft

The loss to the Hawks has prompted calls for the Eagles to change their draft strategy.

They had previously indicated they would take one pick, placing ACL injury victim Jai Culley on their long-term injury list to free up a list spot. They could take at least one more if they ruled Jamie Cripps (broken ankle) out for the season.

Fitzpatrick hinted there could be a change to West Coast’s mid-season draft strategy with the club taking multiple picks.

“We are certainly going to have a pick. I am sure it is under consideration whether we could get more than one pick, whether we could get two or three and ways in which that could be done,” Fitzpatrick said. “But that might be restricted by your ability to rule players out for the rest of the season.

“Having said that, I think all possibilities are being considered for the mid-season draft.”

The players

The club’s lengthy injury list includes veteran stars Shannon Hurn (35), Nic Naitanui (33), Luke Shuey (32), Jeremy McGovern (31), Cripps (31) and Elliot Yeo (29). Several of these players have extensive injury records in recent seasons.

Fitzpatrick said the Eagles would “start planning for the worst” when it came to assessing players, given the club’s wretched run of injuries over the past two seasons.

“In terms of the injury crisis we have had this year … it probably gives you evidence that, when you think of list management, we should start planning for the worst rather than having confidence that we will get players back from injury and they will be able to play for long periods of time,” he said.

“It will be on everybody in the football department and particularly in the recruiting and list management areas – they will be thinking about these things. The decisions will be made at the end of the year.”

The strategy

Fitzpatrick confirmed the club’s performance this year would be subject to a thorough review across all areas of the football department.

“I think all areas of a football department are constantly under scrutiny and especially when you have a win-loss ratio like we are having,” he said. “I don’t think you could say one area is under more scrutiny than the others. Everyone has to be under scrutiny.”

He was confident the Eagles’ historic on-field nadir would not significantly impact the club’s financial position.

“We do our financial projections every month and they are generally very conservative,” he said. “At the moment I don’t have any great concern that there is going to be a significant impact.”

The crowds

West Coast had a membership base in excess of 102,000 in 2022 and their members tend to sign up given the strong possibility of being locked out of the 60,000 capacity Optus Stadium.

But there are concerns that the numbers of fans attending games will dip in the wake of poor performance and a crowd of less than 40,000 at their recent home game against Gold Coast. Fitzpatrick said the relatively low attendance of 36,219 in round 9 was largely attributable to the drawing power of the Suns and the impact of Friday night scheduling.

In the wake of the dismal loss to Hawthorn, Fitzpatrick said he was uncertain what sort of crowd would attend the Eagles-Essendon game at Optus Stadium this Saturday.

“I would encourage everyone to get out there because it will be a really good Saturday evening,” he said. “Saturday afternoon and Saturday night are our best times.

“We get a lot of Sunday afternoon games which is not ideal for our country members.”

The critics

Fitzpatrick said the club was unmoved by external criticism and was confident that support still outweighed criticism.

“I am always appreciative of the fact that so many members come up to us and express their support,” he said. “It far outweighs the people that are critical.

“We had 40 members flying back on the plane from Tasmania with us and when we all got settled and sat on the plane they sang the club song and gave an enormous round of applause to the players. Support like that is just amazing.”

The commission

Technically, the WAFC owns West Coast but has historically given the club free rein in its operations. The current on field crisis has raised the question of how bad things would have to get before the “owners” were prepared to step in.

“I met with (WAFC chairman) Wayne Martin not that long ago. I keep in pretty much constant contact with Wayne about how things are going and the commission support is invaluable.

“They give very sage advice and they are very supportive,” Fitzpatrick said.

New coach isn't going to change anything, here. The list is cooked, and the injuries are exacerbating current issues. Went all or nothing with the Kelly trade and didn't worry about what the repercussions would be. Spoilers - we ended up with nothing.

We've struggled to identify midfield talent for the best part of the past 10 years. Yeo coming on as strongly as he did helped to paper over that inadequacy, but we haven't drafted young midfielders. We've been screaming about it on this board. List management and recruiters need looking at.

Sacking the coach will bring on the warm fuzzies and the delusion of doing something while the rot remains at the club.

So its continue with the same and expecting a different result plus delaying the necessary changes.

It was also the weakest team we've ever fielded. You could argue it was one of the weakest ever fielded by any club in the AFL.

I was travelling and decided not to make time to watch the game once I heard we'd been hit by Flu and TB was out. I knew we'd lose. I wasn't expecting 100 points, but this one was lost by availability.

I'm still not understanding what all the angst is about. Yes, I am beyond frustrated with the player availability, but no coach ever could have got a win out of that team we fielded yesterday.
Well you didnt watch the game thats why you don't understand what the angst is about.

Its not just about the losing....
The angst is about watching the Hawks run from one end of the ground to the other to kick a goal without a single bit of pressure. It was about watching Hawks have 200 more possessions and still have more tackles then us. It is about watching spilled chest marks, fumbled bounces and basic turnovers. It's about watching our whole midfield get sucked into the ball and then watching the Hawks spread and run with noone even close to them. Its about the lack of leadership both on and off the field.

I think you should sit there and watch the whole game and then tell me you don't understand what all the angst it about.

I get its not all Simpsons fault but some of it is and we are in desperate need for some change and hope. If we keep just trotting out all the same excuses every week (all season) and nothing changes then where is the hope coming from? the draft?
I wouldn't want to be a draftee (or parent of a draftee) coming to this regime atm. No development for our players in 2 years, an injury crises, a coach who is just coaching out his contract and an administration who doesn't like to admit it has problems. Yes there are reasons (or excuses) but I'm sick of hearing about them and instead want to hear answers and plans on how we are going to fix all this.
Give me some hope and I'll sit there and watch us lose every game without angst.

Sorry about the rant

Very cool having a board with zero accountability to members/literally anyone to really make the hard decisions of... doing nothing for years and then continuing to do nothing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well you didnt watch the game thats why you don't understand what the angst is about.

Its not just about the losing....
The angst is about watching the Hawks run from one end of the ground to the other to kick a goal without a single bit of pressure. It was about watching Hawks have 200 more possessions and still have more tackles then us. It is about watching spilled chest marks, fumbled bounces and basic turnovers. It's about watching our whole midfield get sucked into the ball and then watching the Hawks spread and run with noone even close to them. Its about the lack of leadership both on and off the field.

I think you should sit there and watch the whole game and then tell me you don't understand what all the angst it about.

I get its not all Simpsons fault but some of it is and we are in desperate need for some change and hope. If we keep just trotting out all the same excuses every week (all season) and nothing changes then where is the hope coming from? the draft?
I wouldn't want to be a draftee (or parent of a draftee) coming to this regime atm. No development for our players in 2 years, an injury crises, a coach who is just coaching out his contract and an administration who doesn't like to admit it has problems. Yes there are reasons (or excuses) but I'm sick of hearing about them and instead want to hear answers and plans on how we are going to fix all this.
Give me some hope and I'll sit there and watch us lose every game without angst.

Sorry about the rant
Lol - why didn't you turn it off?

I sat through the entire Carlton game if that helps. I'm also going this weekend.

I don’t think it’s going to appease many people although I’m not sure what would other than Nisbett and/or Simpson being sacrificed to the football gods

West Coast chairman Paul Fitzpatrick has backed coach Adam Simpson to guide the club’s rebuild and chief executive Trevor Nisbett to remain in place in “the medium term” in the wake of the club’s disastrous 116-point loss to Hawthorn in Launceston.
But he indicated a shift in approach to the club’s senior players with an emphasis on “planning for the worst” in gauging their ability to return from injuries and make an ongoing impact.

Fitzpatrick accepted criticism of the club’s poor performance against Hawthorn but said the youth and compromised preparation of the team had to be factored into the result.

“There is a lot of disappointment and that is to be expected when you get beaten like that,” Fitzpatrick told CODE Sports. “There probably wasn’t the effort and energy we expected from the group. But, having said that, it was a very young group that went out there yesterday and I think that has to be expected when a group is that young.”

The coach

Simpson has now won five of his last 41 games in charge at West Coast and his team has not been closer than 40 points to a rival since their round two win over GWS in the club’s only win of the season.

Fitzpatrick said he retained “full confidence” in Simpson, the club’s 2018 premiership coach.

“I do. This season and last season have been really difficult for various reasons and I think Adam has handled it very well,” Fitzpatrick said. “There is no doubt that it takes a toll. You wouldn’t be human if it didn’t. The constant examination in the media will take a toll.

“But the way he handles the players – his effort and enthusiasm – hasn’t waned. We know he is a good coach. He is going to be coaching a different squad to when he first came to the club with a greater emphasis on development.

The chief executive

Nisbett has been the CEO at West Coast since 1999 and, alongside Simpson, is the scalp the club’s most vocal critics are crying out for.

“I have got full confidence in Trevor to see us through the predicament we are in at the moment,” he said. “His experience in having dealt with these situations before is invaluable. I certainly expect him to be in place for the medium term.

“Having said that, we all know Trevor has done the job for a long time and the time will come when he will move on.”

When asked what the medium term meant in a football context, he added: “The medium term means he is certainly not leaving this year. I would expect he would see us through for a reasonable time yet. I just can’t be precise on these things. He is in place and I think he will be in place for a good time yet.”

The mid-season draft

The loss to the Hawks has prompted calls for the Eagles to change their draft strategy.

They had previously indicated they would take one pick, placing ACL injury victim Jai Culley on their long-term injury list to free up a list spot. They could take at least one more if they ruled Jamie Cripps (broken ankle) out for the season.

Fitzpatrick hinted there could be a change to West Coast’s mid-season draft strategy with the club taking multiple picks.

“We are certainly going to have a pick. I am sure it is under consideration whether we could get more than one pick, whether we could get two or three and ways in which that could be done,” Fitzpatrick said. “But that might be restricted by your ability to rule players out for the rest of the season.

“Having said that, I think all possibilities are being considered for the mid-season draft.”

The players

The club’s lengthy injury list includes veteran stars Shannon Hurn (35), Nic Naitanui (33), Luke Shuey (32), Jeremy McGovern (31), Cripps (31) and Elliot Yeo (29). Several of these players have extensive injury records in recent seasons.

Fitzpatrick said the Eagles would “start planning for the worst” when it came to assessing players, given the club’s wretched run of injuries over the past two seasons.

“In terms of the injury crisis we have had this year … it probably gives you evidence that, when you think of list management, we should start planning for the worst rather than having confidence that we will get players back from injury and they will be able to play for long periods of time,” he said.

“It will be on everybody in the football department and particularly in the recruiting and list management areas – they will be thinking about these things. The decisions will be made at the end of the year.”

The strategy

Fitzpatrick confirmed the club’s performance this year would be subject to a thorough review across all areas of the football department.

“I think all areas of a football department are constantly under scrutiny and especially when you have a win-loss ratio like we are having,” he said. “I don’t think you could say one area is under more scrutiny than the others. Everyone has to be under scrutiny.”

He was confident the Eagles’ historic on-field nadir would not significantly impact the club’s financial position.

“We do our financial projections every month and they are generally very conservative,” he said. “At the moment I don’t have any great concern that there is going to be a significant impact.”

The crowds

West Coast had a membership base in excess of 102,000 in 2022 and their members tend to sign up given the strong possibility of being locked out of the 60,000 capacity Optus Stadium.

But there are concerns that the numbers of fans attending games will dip in the wake of poor performance and a crowd of less than 40,000 at their recent home game against Gold Coast. Fitzpatrick said the relatively low attendance of 36,219 in round 9 was largely attributable to the drawing power of the Suns and the impact of Friday night scheduling.

In the wake of the dismal loss to Hawthorn, Fitzpatrick said he was uncertain what sort of crowd would attend the Eagles-Essendon game at Optus Stadium this Saturday.

“I would encourage everyone to get out there because it will be a really good Saturday evening,” he said. “Saturday afternoon and Saturday night are our best times.

“We get a lot of Sunday afternoon games which is not ideal for our country members.”

The critics

Fitzpatrick said the club was unmoved by external criticism and was confident that support still outweighed criticism.

“I am always appreciative of the fact that so many members come up to us and express their support,” he said. “It far outweighs the people that are critical.

“We had 40 members flying back on the plane from Tasmania with us and when we all got settled and sat on the plane they sang the club song and gave an enormous round of applause to the players. Support like that is just amazing.”

The commission

Technically, the WAFC owns West Coast but has historically given the club free rein in its operations. The current on field crisis has raised the question of how bad things would have to get before the “owners” were prepared to step in.

“I met with (WAFC chairman) Wayne Martin not that long ago. I keep in pretty much constant contact with Wayne about how things are going and the commission support is invaluable.

In other words, those running the show accept no culpability for anything and do not plan to do or change anything. No review of operations, no changes in personel, no extra money to be spent or resources committed, no change in the plan, no major turnover of the list. As we all suspected the regime will not change anything. Change will have to be forced on them by the WAFC. And that won't happen until crowds drop off and the money flow is jeopardised by the results and fan morale.

No wonder they are hiding in the bunker. This is not what supporters want to hear.

Even when asked a question about why supporters should turn up on Saturday night he replies because it is a great timeslot for a game as opposed to promising a significant improvement in passion and effort from the players. That says it all.

It is a bit late and a bit redundant to start including in the plan a worst case scenario where we start considering the possibility that the chronically injured and unavailable older players on our list might continue to be chronically injured and largely unavailable.

Last edited:

AFL
West Coast
West Coast Eagles chairman Paul Fitzpatrick discusses futures of Trevor Nisbett, Adam Simpson and playing roster
The Eagles are under fire after an historic defeat. Paul Fitzpatrick responds to the criticism in an interview with MARK DUFFIELD.

Mark Duffield
Mark Duffield
Follow
@MarkDuffield1
5 min read
May 22, 2023 - 6:28PM

As the Eagles crisis deepens Chairman Paul Fitzpatrick remains supportive of coach Adam Simpson. Picture: Quinn Rooney/Getty Images

The coach
Scrutiny has mounted on Adam Simpson’s position as coach. Picture: Dylan Burns/AFL Photos via Getty Images

The chief executive

Trevor Nisbett’s long reign as CEO is also being questioned. Picture: AAP Image/Richard Wainwright

The mid-season draft

Jai Culley’s knee injury has freed up at least one list space for the mid-season draft. Picture: Quinn Rooney/Getty Images
The players

The strategy

The crowds

There are concerns that the continued poor form will result in a downturn in crowds at Optus Stadium. Picture: Will Russell/AFL Photos via Getty Images

The critics

The commission

Mark Duffield
Mark Duffield
Staff Writer

In other words, those running the show accept no culpability for anything and do not plan to do or change anything. No review of operations, no changes in personel, no extra money to be spent or resources committed, no change in the plan, no major turnover of the list. As we all suspected the regime will not change anything. Change will have to be forced on them by the WAFC. And that won't happen until crowds drop off and the money flow is jeopardised by the results and fan morale.

No wonder they are hiding in the bunker. This is not what supporters want to hear.

Even when asked a question about why supporters should turn up on Saturday night he replies because it is a great timeslot for a game as opposed to promising a significant improvement in passion and effort from the players. That says it all.

I’m extremely concerned to be agreeing with you.

Lol - why didn't you turn it off?

I sat through the entire Carlton game if that helps. I'm also going this weekend.
lol coz I'm a masochist obviously. Call me crazy but I still look forward to the Eagles game every weekend. Engrained habit.
Need to be more apathetic i guess.

Not sure what kind of response I expected but certainly more than that.

Something along the lines of: we are hurting with you. Will take time but we're making changes. We will come out of this".

Something engaging the fans more.

Why do I keep seeing that Simpson is contracted until 2025.

An article in 2021 said he was contracted to the end of the 2024 season.

'With the Collingwood job becoming vacant after the resignation of Nathan Buckley and the future of Carlton coach David Teague being uncertain, Simpson put any chances of leaving the Eagles to bed by saying he was locked away until at least the end of 2024.'

Did someone after 2021 give him another season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back