Review Fremantle Get Done By Richmond by 15 Points

Remove this Banner Ad

[/QUOTE]
Yeah I love Treacy, that dropped chest mark after Fyfe speared it at him hurt though.

It really showed the difference in class when Fyfe speared the exact same bullet at Amiss who took it with ease.

I don't expect Treacy to be Amiss though. Two Amisses wouldn't be fair on the rest of the comp.
wasn’t quite the same though. Amiss hit his standing up. Treacy was sliding in on his knees
It was a tough mark in the conditions.

That Cox inside out kick tho...
That wasn't even the worst part of his game. At that point we were down 2 goals with 50 seconds left, it was unlikely we were gonna win. But earlier in the quarter when we had momentum and he kept kicking straight to the tigers, and kept dropping marks, choosing to spoil when he should have marked so many times in the game.

For once JL did seem rather peeved off. Especially where he says they didn't follow the game plan. Think part of that was allowing them goal side too often
He should be. This was 100% on the players. Team selection or not we were in a perfect place to win this game at the start of the fourth and shot ourselves in the foot with unforced errors and tovs more times than I can count. And that wasn't even from Henry or Sturt. It was from guys like Cox, Young, Clark, O'Driscoll, Frederick, Schultz couldn't pick up a ground ball.

It's all well and good to talk about what we let richmond do but at the end of the day we lost because of our own skills.

We got destroyed in the stoppage clearances and everything else, except the atrocious turn overs in the fourth trying to move the ball forward were a result of that.
This is the part we still haven't done anything about.

You're not always going to win stoppage or be the hardest in the contest every week... so what happens then? What's the Plan B?

Having seen it, 100% an experience win.
Fully agree, i couldnt really see too much wrong after the first half. Always thought we would come back. Seemed to be that composure and structure were the biggest issues out of this game for Freo. JLo rightly upset by that H1. We will get better. We have to.

Disappointing result but it’s hard not to be excited by Amiss and Johnson. We are stacked for young talent, we just need to be patient while we gain experience and maturity.

I watched West Coast yesterday and could not stop thinking how a young player like Johnson is such a desperate need for them. It’s an indictment on that whole organisation that he’s not currently on their list.

Amiss is on track to give 50 goals a serious shake this year. Give him two years and he will be close to the best one on one forward in the comp. His read of the drop zone is elite. The way he uses his body to protect the drop of the ball, and the timing of the contact he initiates is as good as I’ve seen.

Fully agree, i couldnt really see too much wrong after the first half. Always thought we would come back. Seemed to be that composure and structure were the biggest issues out of this game for Freo. JLo rightly upset by that H1. We will get better. We have to.
I knew when I checked the score around half time there was a good chance we'd be behind, but I also knew that we'd come back once I'd seen that. That's something but we just need to be more consistent through games. That's the experience I guess.

I didn't know until watching that we got so far behind though. Left ourselves way too much to do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is the part we still haven't done anything about.

You're not always going to win stoppage or be the hardest in the contest every week... so what happens then? What's the Plan B?
The development of Erasmus especially when Brodie and O’Meara are out is unbelievable.
That and messing with the tripe J.
Reidy should have debuted.
Worner is another that needs to debut sooner.
Just add water still applies for Freo.
Just as we started to win contested ball we go back to impotence.

Yeah killed on one wing. Aish was good on the other side when he was there. Mids mostly beaten up.

Too many down games from the players that are supposed to connect the back and front halves.
Freddy, Henry, Switta, Shutlz were all terrible. Sturt tantalised again, that kick to Amiss and his goal were brilliant. If only he could get involved more.
The players who get by on effort or pace or pressure but can't handle a ball cleanly in the wet were really shown up, particularly Shultz, Freddy and Banfield.

Fyfe was for the most part woeful. At his best he has the ball on a string and sees the game better than most but he is constantly fumbling and out of position, can't get his timing for marking. The only time he came alive briefly we started dominating.

Amiss and Johnson are stars in the making, Amiss is already elite. That mark in the rain, incredible.

Poor selection and poor coaching. I know Brodie wasn't available but feel now Erasmus would have given much more than Henry who I don't think deserves to play again.

As has been noted just letting Bolton win the game without giving some thought to sending someone to him is inexcusable.

Also, and this my pet bugbear. We still have no set plays for bringing the ball out of defence from kick ins. Richmond would just kick it as quickly as possible to anyone wide and then run in support. We sit there for an eternity while Ryan looks around then when their zone is all set we bomb it to Jackson or whoever and they of course have their rucks and onballers waiting at the drop zone. Its so predictable and a big part of why we lost.

I simply can't understand why this fundamental part of the game has been completely undressed in the last 3 years.

A bit to like but ultimately extremely disappointed considering what was at stake.
Yep the kick ins, quite embarrassing really, bomb it to to the pack every time, even if we are struggling in the tall/marking options. Bomb it to the pack. Beeen going on for years. Letting Bolton (one of the most very damaging players in the comp) and Baker also, run around unchecked is really dumb. We don't have one player of that type with that skill level. Probs the difference in winning/losing.
Wake up JLo.

Nank is a very good ruck and when you add in two experienced meatballs it makes it very hard to win it out of the middle in wet conditions. I seriously dont think Reidy in would have been a positive thing - Jackson was still good, we just missed the balance he provides everywhere else. I dont think the bonus of playing Jackson elsewhere would have been enough to justify Reidy getting annihilated in the ruck

Nank is a very good ruck and when you add in two experienced meatballs it makes it very hard to win it out of the middle in wet conditions. I seriously dont think Reidy in would have been a positive thing - Jackson was still good, we just missed the balance he provides everywhere else. I dont think the bonus of playing Jackson elsewhere would have been enough to justify Reidy getting annihilated in the ruck
Having Reidy and Jackson in the middle?
Our structure for that winning streak was working.
Getting a mis-match for Jackson all over the ground turns a game.

Also, and this my pet bugbear. We still have no set plays for bringing the ball out of defence from kick ins. Richmond would just kick it as quickly as possible to anyone wide and then run in support. We sit there for an eternity while Ryan looks around then when their zone is all set we bomb it to Jackson or whoever and they of course have their rucks and onballers waiting at the drop zone. Its so predictable and a big part of why we lost.

I simply can't understand why this fundamental part of the game has been completely undressed in the last 3 years.
Yep. This shits me to tears. Teams just waltz it out of our D50 on kick ins and make it into their forward half with ease.

We just kick in hope. Zero method.

giphy.gif

Having Reidy and Jackson in the middle?
Our structure for that winning streak was working.
Getting a mis-match for Jackson all over the ground turns a game.
Part one of the having Jackson as a mid role involves Darcy winning or halving the tap so Jackson can't be run off by a faster smaller player. I think you are underestimating what Nank would do to Reidy

At the end of the day the difference ended up being Short nailing those three clutch set shots from 55m out.

So very Freo for him to step up like that when he'd only kicked one goal for the entire season previously. Reminded me of when we'd play Hawthorn while we were contending and they would slot every single half chance from all sorts of ridiculous angles and distances.

I've been a critic of Henry in the past but I don't think this game is the one to have a go at him. He definitely earned his way back in with good WAFL form with 4 consecutive games where he had 22 disposals or more.
First game back, pretty shitty conditions for a player of his type and as we saw with half the team at the start of the season it takes a few games at least to jell. Plenty of 'regulars' that performed worse to take shots at. Probably the same goes for Sturt.

On Pixel 4a using BigFooty.com mobile app

Like Michael Barlow loves the slop, his mother was a mudder.

Part one of the having Jackson as a mid role involves Darcy winning or halving the tap so Jackson can't be run off by a faster smaller player. I think you are underestimating what Nank would do to Reidy

Zac Clarke gave Reidy a hard time a week ago. Nankervis would have toyed with him. Meek would have provided a very strong physical presence and we win that game. I wondered if we would have recruited Sam Naismith in the mid season draft. But who drafts someone for 1-2 matches.

Selection was right except for Erasmus whom is tough inside and doesn’t fumble as much as others selected.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Fremantle Get Done By Richmond by 15 Points

Remove this Banner Ad

Back