List Mgmt. 2023 Trade Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's confusing looking back on past years now due to future trading. But I think we came out of that year with Higgo and Crouch mainly.

We dropped back from 17 to 21 and lost a second. Probably a really good trade in hindsight.

Although looks like Max Holmes did go at that pick (its hard to work out after NGA bids)

No one else in between looks any good currently anyway.

Still not happy with the player we selected though. He was really speculative when we weren't really in a position to roll the dice. I think we had the attitude that we did a couple of good trades so didn't give a shit about the draft. The way to move forward properly is to over achieve in everything you do. Not get a few things right here and there. Nail three or four players a year from trades, draft and rookies and you are progressing quickly.

2021 was a hit it out of the park draft/ trade period. We paid for Snags with a second rounder, Heath and Sharman in the MS rookie draft, Nas, Chito and Windhager and Oscar Adams late. That was Toce's first draft and he made just about every selection a winner. Adams is the only iffy one and he's still got something going for him.

Baked it up last year too. Phillipou nearly picked himself but Hotton, Van Es and Keeler with Stocker and Caminiti off the preseason supplementary list and McLennan as a cat B rookie looks another with the potential to have at least 3 x 100+ game players and a couple with genuine star potential.

Henry, Dow, a backup KPD (assuming Howard goes) and another starting mid (Parish/Flanders/Smith) would be a great trade haul. The last one to me is still the most important (and given it's a non-mid heavy draft you have to consider trading our first unless you move up significantly).

A starting midfield of Steele (hopefully finds his form in the preseason), Crouch, Parish/Flanders/Smith, Owens then Dow/Ross/Clark/Phillipou/Windhager makes me feel a lot better. Strengthens us while still allowing us to look towards the future.

I'd consider Matt Crouch if we can’t land a bigger midfield fish.

if it makes you feel better the 2020 draft looks very weak and really, after our M.Allison pick there’s not much we’ve missed out on. Errol Gulden at 30 odd but he’s a swans academy.

Who did better with consecutive top 10 picks
Saints - Coffield, Clarke
Bombers - Perkins, Cox
Not surprising with covid lockdowns and very little footy played in the state leagues in Victoria.

Won’t get Flanders now. Subs will offer him the Earth. I’d throw a future first almost for Flanders. Back the Saints to rise up the ladder in 2024.
I'd happily give up this year first considering the draft.

Very little midfield talent and there's a very good chance our pick end up around 15/16 after academy picks.

I'd happily give up this year first considering the draft.

Very little midfield talent and there's a very good chance our pick end up around 15/16 after academy picks.
Yeah, I agree, I don't get it, if it's a shallow draft for midfielder and we need midfielders, then surely this is the year to trade for midfielders rather than go to the draft and pickup someone who's not a midfielder.

Unless we think we can get something for big Doug, good compo for Gresh and package that up with our first to get back inside the top 10. Maybe that's the strategy, but the better we do in the finals, the less sense it makes to hit the draft at that point. I'd even swap our first for the Suns first next year and go to the well in a year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don’t see how Tomlinson improves our list at all. He’s had many chances to come to us. No thanks
Tomlinson doesn't, he's a competitive stop gap whilst Van Es comes on.

What improves our list is removing Dougal Howard for a late 1st / early 2nd.

Tomlinson allows Howard to go.

On Pixel 6a using BigFooty.com mobile app

Carn Flanders, your mob can’t even beat Nick Larkey

1693030174610.gif

I remember Ben Long had a huge last game when nothing was on the line. Maybe it's a Gold Coast player thing.

Would still like Flanders though :D

Bumped into McCartney (GWS GM) in the lounge before my flight home this morning.
Had a chat about footy, brought up Jack Steele and he said the news he's been hearing recently is we're trying to get rid of him...
Watch this space on the Steele rumours I guess lmao

Bumped into McCartney (GWS GM) in the lounge before my flight home this morning.
Had a chat about footy, brought up Jack Steele and he said the news he's been hearing recently is we're trying to get rid of him...
Cal Twomey's on the money

Would ruffle some feathers ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)‎

Pretty sure Steele is signed up for multiple years…besides, why would you trade your skipper??
The guy is only captain because we have had a total lack of leadership over the last decade. If you ranked all the clubs captains, he'd probably be near the bottom of that list. Being skipper means nothing in this case.

Pretty sure Steele is signed up for multiple years…besides, why would you trade your skipper??

There are a few players that don't seem to be as highly rated by list management as the general public it seems. You'd certainly want some premium mids already lined up if you were moving him on. I hope we don't gut the list off the back of one season of kids out performing the usual standard.

He seems to have good attitude and is defensive so can't wok out why Lyon would consider it. In all likelihood it might be a way for Lyon to give him a good hard kick up the arse and drive him to be the absolute best he can be. He has been developed in sides that as long as you got through being vaguely competitive you got called a star. Trying to extract that last 30% is harder with some players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back