List Mgmt. 2023 Trade Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wrote this a few weeks a go and nothing has changed.
Tomlinson wants to get to the saints.
Wanted to do it last year and Melbourne blocked it.
There are a few clubs sniffing around now but still wants to go to saints.
Trade Howard who is on $600k and get in Tomlinson for $350 and save cash and get a good draft pick.
We'd still need to find someone to be the back-up full back because Tomlinson isn't the type of defender who plays on the 195cm plus key forwards.

Tomlinson is more of a Highmore replacement or Battle back-up than someone you'd want taking Hawkins/Lynch/McKay if Cordy was injured.

Spoke to an individual in position of power at the club this evening… two things stuck with me:
1. Ross doesn’t rate a few players who have been getting games (implied Howard and Gresham are 2 of them)
2. The club via SOS and Gubby will be active this trade period, words to the effect of they don’t rate the list
Can’t possibly have a list to be proud of after a decade of sub standard drafting..this off season will be fascinating!

We'd still need to find someone to be the back-up full back because Tomlinson isn't the type of defender who plays on the 195cm plus key forwards.

Tomlinson is more of a Highmore replacement or Battle back-up than someone you'd want taking Hawkins/Lynch/McKay if Cordy was injured.
Tomlinson should have come to us 4 years ago when he left GWS!

I was really dubious of picking him up but on SEN they had a stats guy on who was saying that he was the best one on one defender over the last decade added together (or something along those lines). Had lost the fewest individual contests basically of any defender. He could be a real Zac Dawson pick up. Nothing to excite the fans but first picked by the boss. Age is his biggest downside.
He is 31 next year
Surely we have gone past this sort of stuff

He is 31 next year
Surely we have gone past this sort of stuff

I guess it depends on cost. Probably has 2 or 3 seasons left and we'd want a young KPD being developed at the same time. Probably a better player than Mason Wood has been over his career and really only out of the Demon's side because they have 2 gun KP defenders. He's a pretty unique type of tall back too. Has some run and attacking qualities. He's kind of like a key position Nas. Whoever his manager was sent him to the wrong side. If you could get him for very little in trade and wages he'd probably be another Mason Wood type pick up. I think Howard is 29 next year isn't he?

I guess it depends on cost. Probably has 2 or 3 seasons left and we'd want a young KPD being developed at the same time. Probably a better player than Mason Wood has been over his career and really only out of the Demon's side because they have 2 gun KP defenders. He's a pretty unique type of tall back too. Has some run and attacking qualities. He's kind of like a key position Nas. Whoever his manager was sent him to the wrong side. If you could get him for very little in trade and wages he'd probably be another Mason Wood type pick up. I think Howard is 29 next year isn't he?
28 next year Howard

28 next year Howard

It feels like he's just started but he's not young any more. Probably depends on how Lyon rates him I guess. It will be interesting to see what Lyon can do in an environment where player movement is a lot more fluid. A big part of why Lyon doesn't have a flag had to do with his inability to bring players in to plug obvious list holes.

With FA and a generally more relaxed attitude towards player movement I think he could find it easier to put together a challenge. Once upon a time you really had to draft your own and develop them. Now you can raid players to cover needs.

It feels like he's just started but he's not young any more. Probably depends on how Lyon rates him I guess. It will be interesting to see what Lyon can do in an environment where player movement is a lot more fluid. A big part of why Lyon doesn't have a flag had to do with his inability to bring players in to plug obvious list holes.

With FA and a generally more relaxed attitude towards player movement I think he could find it easier to put together a challenge. Once upon a time you really had to draft your own and develop them. Now you can raid players to cover needs.
That’s why it’s so important to play finals players are lot more likely to come when your club is consistently playing in September. We win a final or two this year SOS job becomes a lot more easier

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd prefer to draft the best key defender from the state leagues rather than trading for Tomlinson.
Apparently there’s some guy called Ethan Phillips who goes okay 😉

I wrote this a few weeks a go and nothing has changed.
Tomlinson wants to get to the saints.
Wanted to do it last year and Melbourne blocked it.
There are a few clubs sniffing around now but still wants to go to saints.
Trade Howard who is on $600k and get in Tomlinson for $350 and save cash and get a good draft pick.
Yep and Tomlinson can play scoobs anyway. The Z monster will be All Aus next year. Very likely BnF.

if it makes you feel better the 2020 draft looks very weak and really, after our M.Allison pick there’s not much we’ve missed out on. Errol Gulden at 30 odd but he’s a swans academy.

Who did better with consecutive top 10 picks
Saints - Coffield, Clarke
Bombers - Perkins, Cox

if it makes you feel better the 2020 draft looks very weak and really, after our M.Allison pick there’s not much we’ve missed out on. Errol Gulden at 30 odd but he’s a swans academy.

Bombers - Perkins, Cox

Probably a bit too early to tell on the Bombers guys so far. They had three in a row with Reid too. I really like Perkins and think he could be something good. Cox looked awesome at times but hardly saw him this year. He's more a giant wingman than a forward.

Later in that draft there was some good talent. A lot are going well in the VFL or have shown a bit. O'Driscoll continued the player straight after thing by looking very good last year. Sharp from the Lions is a gun VFL player and looks a good player for the future. Brockman and Mcreery look solid too.

Bombers - Perkins, Cox

It's confusing looking back on past years now due to future trading. But I think we came out of that year with Higgo and Crouch mainly.

We dropped back from 17 to 21 and lost a second. Probably a really good trade in hindsight.

Although looks like Max Holmes did go at that pick (its hard to work out after NGA bids)

No one else in between looks any good currently anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back