List Mgmt. Contract, Trade & Draftee Discussion, 2023: Picks 1,20,34,39,53 ,58

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link to contract status of all players

Link to Lore ’s excellent draft order thread that is updated to reflect current ladder positions

Last edited:
Surprised we aren’t giving him two years

Also a one year deal indicates we’re unlikely to be promoting him to the main list

Perhaps there’s some triggers in there for an extra year and promotion to the main list in 2025
No 1 year is smart. We shouldn't be offering multiple year contracts to a rookie listed player coming off an ACL.

Culley was already slow as treacle. He ain't gonna be any quicker after a busted knee.

Oh Saints, Nth, Dogs, Essendon, Melbourne, Hawks etc have all been nearly merged over those yrs too. No point has been made here. Old interviews throughout those 90s have spilt the beans on the "Nearly Merged Clubs in Victoria"

Almost all the Victorian clubs except Carlton & Collingwood lol.
They won a bunch of flags during the 80s and in 91.

Nearly went under.

In the wilderness, including almost folding, for 17 years, won a flag, disappeared for a few years, went on a good run then died off again.

They've had one period of dominance during the AFL era, just like Geelong and West Coast.

Nobody's disparaging what any club has achieved but you're suffering from recency bias here.

I assume we are keeping Culley on the Rookie list here which means we can only give him one more year anyway?

Makes sense to not chew up a main list spot in the current circumstances where avoidable. Until the draft actually happens there would be some uncertainty about how many spots we need to have open, particularly with the pick 1 situation. Can always upgrade him later.

He was born in Halls Creek but his Family are Alice Springs & are Darwin bred Southern Districts through & through. The McAdam's have no relation to Western Australia.

Gilbert McAdam - St Kilda & Brisbane
Adrian McAdam - North Melbourne.

St Mary's - Rioli
Southern Districts - McAdam
Wanderers - Motlop's
Darwin Buffaloes - Ah Mat
Shane McAdam has walked out of Adelaide, wants a trade to Melbourne or a Melbourne based club (not sure which, the article was a bit ambiguous).

I only mention it because he has a WA background and someone brought him up as a potential trade target, I don’t think he fits our age profile.

I assume we are keeping Culley on the Rookie list here which means we can only give him one more year anyway?

Makes sense to not chew up a main list spot in the current circumstances where avoidable. Until the draft actually happens there would be some uncertainty about how many spots we need to have open, particularly with the pick 1 situation. Can always upgrade him later.

We could always give him a two year deal with the second year to be on the senior list.

But maybe there’s good reasons why both parties are happy with one year for now.

He was born in Halls Creek but his Family are Darwin bred Southern Districts through & through. The McAdam's have no relation to Western Australia.

Gilbert McAdam - St Kilda & Brisbane
Adrian McAdam - North Melbourne.

St Mary's - Rioli
Southern Districts - McAdam
Wanderers - Motlop's
Darwin Buffaloes - Ah Mat

Cool story. As with all your stories, any relationship with reality is purely accidental.

C18504CB-12A5-4787-9051-52CD21E89563.jpeg
1AF2A9E4-A648-4958-B1FB-EF09EC2B10C7.jpeg

If a 1 year deal for Culley means Trew somehow stays on the list I’m all for it.

Perplexed he didn’t get more of a look in with some better than solid WAFL form and glimpses shown as a sub when he actually did get a game ahead of XON.

We could always give him a two year deal with the second year to be on the senior list.

But maybe there’s good reasons why both parties are happy with one year for now.
We could always just watch and see how he comes back from his 1st ACL injury then offer a deal after next season, by then other old blokes will retire = more money.

It has been pretty common before that players do their other knee or the same one again, since this game has gotten a lot faster.

We really need to stop with this feel good contract stuff. It is professional sport. Havent we just learnt enough with Nic Nat, Yeo, Shuey and co? Paying Athletes to sit on the sidelines for multiple seasons. If Culley was to do his knee again in Pre-season and you just signed him to 2 seasons you would look rather silly after this above. Get him through his 1st Preseason/Season after ACL Surgery then Re-Calculate a 3 yr offer or something if his season was a success and looking in the right direction.

Perhaps this is the good reason too.

Last edited:
I would have thought that the only doubt about Culley if anything was whether he was keen to stay.

Surely a vic club swoops in and offers him a 2 year deal, this contract negotiations have dragged out a long time, looked back and the first article about it was back in May. Wouldn’t be surprised if it doesn’t get done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m happy to be corrected on this but can someone point me to the sustained period of form where Jake Waterman looked like he was a key part of us winning games at AFL level?

I can recall Jake playing good football games, kicking 3-4 goals and I can even recall him occasionally doing this against teams that fall above the bottom four. What I can’t remember is a continued stretch of form where Jake has looked like he undoubtedly would hold his position in the team with no contest for a extended period of time.

Too often he sees his role as competing for the mark and failing at that will have no further impact on the subsequent contest for the ball. Also struggles to see where it is inevitable that he will fail at the mark and so his job now becomes halving the contest and apply a second effort, something Allen does particularly well.

An additional 2 years would be a great success for him for what he has shown across 7 years on the list. If he left because someone offered 3 would we be that disappointed or think it would hurt us? After 7 years on our list he’s still a depth player that will undoubtedly perform well at wafl level but you hope gets displaced by a greater talent in the firsts.

4 years as mentioned is just manager marketing talk.
Ive been a big waterman fan but he's fighting an uphill battle now through illness and maric coming in and impressing
I'd move him to the rookie list if possible on a 1 year contract to see if he can get back on the field

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I have a bit of a theory that Cats players always look better in their own system on their own deck. Cats will try to squeeze everything out of the Esava deal but I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't look that good playing elsewhere.
I don’t even think he’s looked that good playing for the cats. One of those blokes who seems to be rated internally yet does **** all on the footy field. Although has looked more at home in defence this season

I have a bit of a theory that Cats players always look better in their own system on their own deck. Cats will try to squeeze everything out of the Esava deal but I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't look that good playing elsewhere.
He doesn’t even look good playing for the cats. Cats probably saying hey bud your time is up, let’s see what we can scrounge

You totally disregarded who his family are🤣 Your reality is not reality. You really need to go to Darwin 🤣 No clue whatsoever

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230906_151746_Edge.jpg
    Screenshot_20230906_151746_Edge.jpg
    263.8 KB · Views: 117
  • Screenshot_20230906_151719_Edge.jpg
    Screenshot_20230906_151719_Edge.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 115
  • Screenshot_20230906_151755_Edge.jpg
    Screenshot_20230906_151755_Edge.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 111
Surprised with the 1 year deal for Culley. Rising star nomination and was primed for a big season before the ACL.
I'm guessing thats why there was hesitation in him signing it.
We gave 2 year deals to guys like LEdwards, Jamieson, HEdwards and other fringe players. 3 years to Rotham and Cole coming off an ankle. Not sure why we'd only offer Culley 1 year. Seems a little strange.

You totally disregarded who his family are🤣 Your reality is not reality. You really need to go to Darwin 🤣 No clue whatsoever

I know it’s not really worth arguing on such a meaningless point. Particularly with someone who’s got a tenuous grasp on reality at the best of times.

But honestly? He’s from Halls Creek. That’s in WA. He played for Claremont. That’s in WA.

People can be from a different place from their distant relatives. That’s a thing. A thing that can happen. To people.

LOL when was he ever up for delisting...

Feels like he knows his bargaining position will only improve so no point signing a longer deal on ordinary money. If he can't get an extension after the 1yr deal ends, he was never going to be much chop even with a 2yr deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back