Review 2023 National Draft Review Thread II [McKercher, Z.Duursma, Goad, W.Dawson, Hardeman, Maley]

Remove this Banner Ad

Mckercher - Great selection. Consistent, hard running, inside/outside mid who was arguably the best performing underage player this season. Perfect fit for the modern game.

Duursma - Arguably has the highest ceiling in this draft. Strong for his size, courageous and vice-like hands. Can play as a midfielder or forward.

Goad - Was a big proponent of taking a ruck at this selection and would have been happy with any of Green, Edwards and Goad. Goad is the most raw of the 3 but also closest to playing weight and quickest. He needs some time to develop game sense as he's played the least amount of football of the 3 but he's shown some really exciting flashes.

Dawson - I'm not sure who it was but someone compared him to Harris Andrews and I really like that comparison. He has really long arms and his best trait is his reading of the flight. He's been thrown around a lot this year but I think he'll develop into a really handy intercept marking defender if we let him settle into the position. He also has really tidy skills over a short-medium range, his hands are strong and he's aggressive with his attack on the ball. I think it says a bit that arguably his best game of the year was against an extremely strong Allies side in the U18 champs. If anyone wants to get excited about him as a prospect, have a look at that game.

Hardeman - He just does everything well and it's hard to find a weak point in his game. He moves well, has a very good left foot with great penetration, locks down well, can intercept and rebound using run and carry. We've been crying out for quality rebounding defenders and with Goater, Bergman and Hardeman, I think we finally have something for the future in that regard.
Thank you Sir!

Yeh but I’ll always back who has produced more now over projecting project types with earlier picks

Later picks I’d take the latter view

We don’t go well reaching for players (see Neilson, Will walker etc) take the proven talent early

Let’s hope wil Dawson bucks the trend

Dawson is 7 months younger than O'Sullivan (who I really like as a player of need by the way).

7 months ago, O'Sullivan wasn't even talked about as a top 30 prospect. Back the kid in!

Neilson, Will walker etc are the old recruiting staff. We have had multiple heads of footy and list managers since Neilson.
The premise is the same regardless

My philosophy is top 30 you take the best proven talent in positions you need

After that feel free to take more speculative risk

Rightio, who won the draft. Obviously * will win it, followed by the Giants and probably the Cats, but who in here claimed all 5? Surely there is an all knowing champion?
I'm reserving my judgement until Poorta have cast their solitary pick!

Jesus, he didn't look too happy on the night either when they picked him. Already pretty glad that we passed, although maybe that's unfair.
I think he might have resigned himself that he would probably end up in Melbourne but Adelaide was definetly a shock for him given his reaction.

Last edited:
the kid who in a pre draft interview said he couldn't wait to leave Tassie and half his family are Roos supporters?

Not worried in the slightest about him leaving.
me either,,,,only way I see it happening is after his second consecutive norm smith medal, and he heads off Ablett style as a marquee player on big coin, and we get 3 first rounders back......no pressure kid!

Jesus, he didn't look too happy on the night either when they picked him. Already pretty glad that we passed, although maybe that's unfair.
His afl.com.au interview after he was drafted was ****ing garbage

Said he’s not a footy head, couldn’t name a crows player he was excited to meet - cal asked him about his positioning and learning to play midfield from Dawson as that tall half back transitioning into the middle and he said he just wants to go and play his way and become his own player.

Odd campaigner

Rightio, who won the draft. Obviously * will win it, followed by the Giants and probably the Cats, but who in here claimed all 5? Surely there is an all knowing champion?
I thought it was absolutely hilarious last night Mick Ablett waxing lyrical about the trade genius Adrian Dodoro, who's stunned everyone by pulling another rabbit out of the hat.

Pity the list he's been responsible for hasn't knocked the skin off a rice custard

Those two positions are my preference for the last couple of spots on the list.

We lost Turner, Mahony and Spicer this season and haven't picked up any replacement.

Outside of Larkey, Comben and potentially CCJ / Nyuon / Dawson we are pretty thin in the tall forward department.
Robert Hansen Junior, then we have Brayden George to come in, and who knows with Hardeman in maybe Sheez moves forward....and daresay need space for Duursma.....sure more your medium forwards than small but none of those 3 ever created any scoreboard pressure. Whoever we pick (if anyone), I just hope they have some sort of trait that they are truly elite at!

His afl.com.au interview after he was drafted was ******* garbage

Said he’s not a footy head, couldn’t name a crows player he was excited to meet - cal asked him about his positioning and learning to play midfield from Dawson as that tall half back transitioning into the middle and he said he just wants to go and play his way and become his own player.

Odd campaigner
Can't seem to find the article I read from this morning. Apparently they only interviewed him yesterday when they realised he might slide.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought it was absolutely hilarious last night Mick Ablett waxing lyrical about the trade genius Adrian Dodoro, who's stunned everyone by pulling another rabbit out of the hat.

Pity the list he's been responsible for hasn't knocked the skin off a rice custard
Yeah, who is that Mick Ablett guy? Never met him or heard of him, but he seemed like a bit of a simpleton on the coverage last night.

Those two positions are my preference for the last couple of spots on the list.

We lost Turner, Mahony and Spicer this season and haven't picked up any replacement.

Outside of Larkey, Comben and potentially CCJ / Nyuon / Dawson we are pretty thin in the tall forward department.
So we lost a guy who averages 8 possessions and played about half the games.
A guy who barely played and wasn't good enough and another guy who barely played and wasn't good enough.

We have Curtis, we are giving Drury another opportunity, Harvey will probably get more of a shot this season as well, we also picked up Hansen Jr in the small forward department.

Curtis is quality, Harvey is an unknown and the other two guys probably won't make it but they're not any worse than the three we delisted.

I agree a quality small forward would be great we have options and are no worse off than last season.

The awkward silence after Ablett likened Duursma to Mark Lecras was brutal. Nobody knew where to look and Mick was all…

A0A46516-A8C5-4B36-9EE3-21F8A7631FDC.jpeg

The awkward silence after Ablett likened Duursma to Mark Lecras was brutal. Nobody knew where to look and Mick was all…

View attachment 1857659

As long as it’s not Brent Lecras

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Review 2023 National Draft Review Thread II [McKercher, Z.Duursma, Goad, W.Dawson, Hardeman, Maley]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back