Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting buy in from the troops is a key aspect of leadership. If you think that being morbidly obese has no impact upon that, then it's you with the problem.

Imagine looking at that picture of Burns and thinking that’s a morbidly obese man. Ridiculous. That’s a very normal looking man of his age from what is probably an unflattering angle.

Yes he’s been fitter when he played but there could be a million different reasons as to why he might have a bit more fat on him and frankly none of them are anyone’s business but his own.

I see your point about driving standards but other than his personal health there is no reason players should be concerned with his physical fitness.

A coach can lead by example by arriving early, being prepared, presenting themselves professionally etc. Why would there be some creepy interest in his weight?

The idea that a coach needs to maintain their playing physique is ridiculous.

I’ve never understood how not renewing a contract before it expires can be a distraction from your job. They are supposed to be professionals and keep their focus on the task at hand.

If they can’t and it leads to poor selections or game day decisions then they’re not the right person. How would they hold up in a grand final under immense pressure?

There’s also an advantage for the coach if he doesn’t renew until the the end of the contract and he takes the team deep into finals or even the whole way. Imagine his price then!
For normal people it's got to be a distraction... because you need a job so you are out there looking for one.

I doubt it bothers Nicks much... if his salary can't see him through a period while deciding what he's going to do next, then that's an issue I think.

Imagine looking at that picture of Burns and thinking that’s a morbidly obese man. Ridiculous. That’s a very normal looking man of his age from what is probably an unflattering angle.

Yes he’s been fitter when he played but there could be a million different reasons as to why he might have a bit more fat on him and frankly none of them are anyone’s business but his own.

I see your point about driving standards but other than his personal health there is no reason players should be concerned with his physical fitness.

A coach can lead by example by arriving early, being prepared, presenting themselves professionally etc. Why would there be some creepy interest in his weight?

The idea that a coach needs to maintain their playing physique is ridiculous.
Without a photo reference... I would consider the following coaches as "obese" compared to their glory days.
Voss
Hardwick
Hinkley
Longmire
The GWS guy (having a mental blank.... probably due to my body shape)
Brad Scott
Mitchell
Fagan
Clarkson....et al

I have never heard of any negative comment about Scott Burns. In fact, based on the above list, he's prime to win a promotion to senior coach sometime.

Maybe even at AFC??...

Without a photo reference... I would consider the following coaches as "obese" compared to their glory days.
Voss
Hardwick
Hinkley
Longmire
Brad Scott
Mitchell
Fagan
Clarkson....et al

I have never heard of any negative comment about Scott Burns. In fact, based on the above list, he's prime to win a promotion to senior coach sometime.

Maybe even at AFC??...
WTF

Voss
Hardwick
Hinkley
Longmire
Brad Scott
Mitchell
Fagan
Clarkson....et al

Maybe even at AFC??...

what a weird post, did John Who steal your login?

what a weird post, did John Who steal your login?
Perhaps out of context. The post responds to 1770 earlier post that obesity can reduce a coaches leadership potential.
My list was simply to show that coaches (men generally) easily get heavier as we age). This post is not intended to be a negative on the listed people.

Voss
Hardwick
Hinkley
Longmire
Brad Scott
Mitchell
Fagan
Clarkson....et al

Maybe even at AFC??...
Sure if your base line is when they were elite level athletes in their 20's.

People realise metabolism slows down after 30 right? I'm 37 now. I can't eat a block of chocolate or smash cans of coke without noticing an emerging pot belly anymore.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sure if your base line is when they were elite level athletes in their 20's.

People realise metabolism slows down after 30 right? I'm 37 now. I can't eat a block of chocolate or smash cans of coke without noticing an emerging pot belly anymore.
Scott Burns likes this.😁😁

Would love to see all the comments where people were suggesting he should have played Centre square - rather than wing.

I am sure there were one or two, but that would be about all

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Well I mentioned in 2022 when making a list management assessment post, and again in Jan 2023, but I had him as somebody we needed to develop in the mid, and had him lining up the start of the season on the wing.

Rachelle/ Rankine + Dawson were my pushes for the midfield.

At the time opinions on this page were so negative it was hard to have a discussion about it without somebody saying Dawson regretted coming to Adelaide, was going to be the next Kade Simpson, that we overpaid for Rankine, and of course that Nicks should be sacked.

Can anyone give me a decent reason we shouldn't just wait until the end of season to sign Nicks? I've previously said bye week would be logical but our inbred neighbours did something like that and it backfired.

I think mid season is fine if we have an outstanding start to the year. I think end of season is the fall back if we have an average or worse start and we want to see how the season finishes up.

Can anyone give me a decent reason we shouldn't just wait until the end of season to sign Nicks? I've previously said bye week would be logical but our inbred neighbours did something like that and it backfired.
They put a specific timeline on it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back