Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a little bit of AFL political appeasement .....decision has already been made by the Club ......akin to WCE having to wait the full 2 min allotted time, b4 naming Harley Reid @ #1 .....just dramatising the inevitable
So in essence you can’t be wrong, the club agreed with you but are playing macho mind games only you’re aware of

Nicks isn't going to suddenly leave the club if we are tracking for finals... given the effort he has put into this young group.

There is no risk.
It's his professsion .....someone dangles a 5 year Contract at 30% more $$$ .....anyone is gettable

We talk about players making decisions in their own best interests .....Coaches have been screwed over since Covid , reduced soft cap, resources .....who could blame him for looking after career / family

Won't come to that .....but it's naive to say there's no risk

It's his professsion .....someone dangles a 5 year Contract at 30% more $$$ .....anyone is gettable

We talk about players making decisions in their own best interests .....Coaches have been screwed over since Covid , reduced soft cap, resources .....who could blame him for looking after career / family

No other club is going to be dangling a 5 year contract in front of him anytime soon! No coach is going to get sacked early in 2024.

Nick's preference would be to see through this young group given he has put in the hard yards from a spoon. He isn't looking to leave.

There is no risk now.

5 years at 30% more to a bloke who hasn’t made finals, you are high Wayne

It's a little bit of AFL political appeasement .....decision has already been made by the Club ......akin to WCE having to wait the full 2 min allotted time, b4 naming Harley Reid @ #1 .....just dramatising the inevitable
So why are you panicking about not signing him now and having to wait 8 more games a sign of a flaky club if it's done and just not being broadcast for political reasons?

So why are you panicking about not signing him now and having to wait 8 more games a sign of a flaky club if it's done and just not being broadcast for political reasons?
I'm just pointing out to those wanting to wait, the dangers and fruitlessness of procrastinating

I understand the delay on Longmire ....too many players have left FREO, for something to not be amiss

I could not understand the need to re-sign Brett Ratten at St Kilda

But by any measure, and in particular the pub test ....Nicks will be rightfully resigned

I'm just pointing out to those wanting to wait, the dangers and fruitlessness of procrastinating

I understand the delay on Longmire ....too many players have left FREO, for something to not be amiss

But by any measure, and in particular the pub test ....Nicks will be rightfully resigned
Thank God none of them is Amiss. ;)

I don't think you understand the meaning of procrastinating...

There is no risk now that Nicks leaves.

We just want to be sure he can take us to finals & we will have 1st grabs on him as he is heavily invested in the group.

It's good business practice to wait til we are sure rather than having a Sanderson situation where we impact on our cap with an unnecessary payout.

I don't think you understand the meaning of procrastinating...

There is no risk now that Nicks leaves.

We just want to be sure he can take us to finals & we will have 1st grabs on him as he is heavily invested in the group.

It's good business practice to wait til we are sure rather than having a Sanderson situation where we impact on our cap with an unnecessary payout.
Then by extension, you'd be aghast at the long contracts given to Rachele and Soligo ....who are yest to show any reason to warrant such long Contract extensions

Was that good business practice ....are we using a variable & flexible narrative

There was probably a period where Fremantle were sure they had their guy

12-18 months later...?

Then by extension, you'd be aghast at the long contracts given to Rachele and Soligo ....who are yest to show any reason to warrant such long Contract extensions

Was that good business practice ....are we using a variable & flexible narrative
Wtf?!

One of these things is not the same as the other.

Signing up our best young talent long term to ensure they remain at our club is good business practice. Both are going to be guns.

Nicks hasn't coached a final yet.

See the difference...

Playing talent almost always wins over coaching talent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nicks had 4 years to demonstrate his coaching ability, so any talk of "auditioning" is just living in a fantasy world. Nicks may have been given 2020 as a write-off year, but from '21 onwards, we've likely had targets for him to meet to say we're happy/satistifed/whatever with the overall progress. Whether that's a 5 win season, a 7 win season or whatever or if there are other targets to meet with game plan. In reality, we'd have a solid opinion of what Nicks is capable of long before a ball is kicked because there is that 4 year record of his results against the boards expectations.

Personally, I expect us to sign Nicks on for two years just before round 1. There really isn't any smoke that we're even mildly concerned with Nicks coaching ability, and the AFL industry has been strangely loyal to coaches (compared to other sports who'll replace them if they breathe wrong) in the last 20 years.

Oh there is no doubt what you are saying is true to some respect. However, there is a clear reason he has not been signed yet and that is the club is not convinced he is the man to lead us beyond the post rebuild era.

So yes he is very much auditioning for the role of 2025 and beyond. We hired Nicks to rebuild our list. He has done a fairly good job in that aspect. We now have one of the most exciting lists in the competition. So that is a tick for Nicks. The issue is his clear coaching and selection blunders that continue to plague his coaching. The club feels he did enough to warrant this season but as I said before, he would already have been offered a contract extension if the club deemed him worthy. I dont expect he will get one before round 1.

Whos in the box seat?
Which team do you think he will be poached by?

Whos in the box seat?
Which team do you think he will be poached by?
This will be good. I suspect he will dance around this answer.

If it’s any club it will be a bottom club needing to turn over their coach, Nicks after the pain he’s gone through here isn’t jumping into another rebuild if he has a job here.

Absolute insanity to suggest we are at risk of him being poached…….I can understand if they think he’s the man and they think giving confidence to the playing group that Nicks is the man, but poaching? No way

You are correct, there is always a risk. However, has Nicks really shown enough for us to be worried about it.

1. You never re sign a coach until you are satisfied they can succeed. Signing a coach because you are afraid of losing a 'what maybe' with no evidence is the domain of PAFC.
2. If we have to offer an extra 200k and a 3 year contract to keep him by mid year because the WB and Syd have thrown massive offers his way after he got us to 10-2 I dont think any of us would mind.

Nicks isn't going to suddenly leave the club if we are tracking for finals... given the effort he has put into this young group.

There is no risk.
It’s only a risk if Nicks is the most under-appreciated never-coached-a-final coach in history, if another club somehow feels really strongly about his genius, even though the highest praise ever given publicly is “he’s doing pretty well”

It’s only a risk if Nicks is the most under-appreciated never-coached-a-final coach in history, if another club somehow feels really strongly about his genius, even though the highest praise ever given publicly is “he’s doing pretty well”

The club will make it worth his while if he provides them with the evidence they need to pull the trigger on an extension. Nicks and his manager have probably already sat down with the club and had a conversation about this year, the expectations and what the rewards might look like for meeting the expectations in the form of a contract, obviously negotiable.

The club, Nicks would all be on the same page. Including things the club doesn't want to see from his coaching.

Could you imagine the fan reaction if another club sacked their coach and poached Nicks with his 35% win record, no finals and no premierships?

It would be a bloodbath. The board of that club wouldn't survive (assuming it's not AFL owned like ours)

Could you imagine the fan reaction if another club sacked their coach and poached Nicks with his 35% win record, no finals and no premierships?

It would be a bloodbath. The board of that club wouldn't survive (assuming it's not AFL owned like ours)

Even though that would be funny, I do think they mean if he has a booming first half of the year 10-2 record and we approach Nicks and he informs the club he isn't interested until end of the year, and he walks to another club. The problem is we can not sign him now. He would understand this based on his constant dialogue with the club.

If a club poached nicks I’d be pretty happy with their coach any way.
I’d take clarkson, Mitchell, Kingsley, Lyon, Longmire, Simpson, Hardwicke, Chris Scott, McRae or Voss

Tell me you know nothing about football without telling me you know nothing about football.

"Dangers and fruitlessness of procrastinating"

Nicksy's agent: "Other clubs have made offers, you have until midnight to decide."

Crows admin:
r3BRRvr.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back