Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even though that would be funny, I do think they mean if he has a booming first half of the year 10-2 record and we approach Nicks and he informs the club he isn't interested until end of the year, and he walks to another club. The problem is we can not sign him now. He would understand this based on his constant dialogue with the club.

If he has a 10-2 record at the bye he should be winning the premiership and if he doesn't he's probably choked.

We are aware of the speculation surrounding Matthew Nicks future

The AFC , as always , have a timeline which ALL parties have agreed to

The AFC will make an announcement at the appropriate time

*not an official release

My take on Nicks year is...(assumes somewhat normal injury year)

-Miss finals...fail...sack

-Bottom of eight...pass... two year extension

-Top four... credit...two year extension

-Losing preliminary final... distinction... two to three year extension

-Grand final...high distinction...three to four year extension

-Premiership...the Nicks dynasty is only just started and Matthew becomes Adelaide's favourite name for newborn boys.
Winning an occasional away game would be nice too

Can someone make a list of all the times a senior coach has been poached?

I can think of these:
Lyon (to Freo)
Hardwick (to Suns)
Denis Pagan (?)

Nicks is not in the same category as these.
Did we poach Brent Reilly from Henley Sharks?

I’ve never understood how not renewing a contract before it expires can be a distraction from your job. They are supposed to be professionals and keep their focus on the task at hand.

If they can’t and it leads to poor selections or game day decisions then they’re not the right person. How would they hold up in a grand final under immense pressure?

There’s also an advantage for the coach if he doesn’t renew until the the end of the contract and he takes the team deep into finals or even the whole way. Imagine his price then!

We lost so many games last year by small margins, that in itself could be a problem Nicks is not able to overcome.

Add on our terrible record and form on the road. We did okay against good sides on the road (but could never seal the win) but were shocking against lesser clubs. That needs to change.

Before the bye, we have away games against: Gold Coast, Freo, Carlton, North, Collingwood, Hawthorn. We should really win 4 out of 6 of those. North and Hawthorn wins should be a given, especially with Day out for Hawthorn. Freo and Gold Coast will be tougher, but if we're serious about giving the next few years to Nicks, he needs to get us putting teams like that away on the road.

Basically, if we are still on the losing side of the ledger in all our tight games, and play like spliffs away to the teams we should be beating, then we need to let Nicks time with us lapse and invest in the coach that will overcome these problems.
Malcolm Blight was talking about how ordinary teams become good ones... and he said the first step is losing close games - getting close, but just coming up short. The next step is to start winning those close ones. I reckon that's where we'll be this year.

0d5aeee1848df09b0d7f84f512419a24
God, Burns has developed a huge pot belly. (Perhaps, I'm not supposed to mention this these days?) ;)

83a1cc58dbd4cc08db49a3dd5f2eb9da

Matthew Nicks has spent the week picking the brains of one of the country’s foremost coaches, Australian cricket mentor Andrew McDonald.
The Crows coach and senior assistant Scott Burns sat in the Aussies’ box on day two of the Adelaide Test against the West Indies on Thursday.
Wearing the national side’s polo and shorts, the AFL duo talked to players and staff about the team’s plans while Australia batted, before joining McDonald on the oval when he spoke with head curator Damian Hough during the tea break.
Two days earlier, McDonald, his assistants and high-performance staff spent about three hours at West Lakes, exchanging ideas with the Crows about topics such as communication, preparation and training.
McDonald has steered Australia to success in the World Test Championship and 50-over World Cup since being appointed in April 2022.

The Crows catch-ups were organised by Ashley Ross, a former New Zealand cricket coach who now worked in coaching development with Adelaide.
Ross also arranged for Nicks and Crows football boss Adam Kelly to spend a week inside New Zealand Rugby in October.
Kelly said clubs always learnt something by chatting with other people in elite sport.
“It was interesting to hear some of their thoughts on preparation, training, communication, team building and ultimately performing on game day,” Kelly said of McDonald and his assistants’ visit to West Lakes.
“And following that we were fortunate enough that Nicksy and Scott Burns were able to spend Thursday at the Test Match and in the Aussies’ box, getting to see first hand some of their philosophies and plans put into practice in real time.”
Watching the players in the practice nets, I thought it looked like Burns, but figured it was someone else given CA uniform. I didn't notice Nicks though.

83a1cc58dbd4cc08db49a3dd5f2eb9da

Matthew Nicks has spent the week picking the brains of one of the country’s foremost coaches, Australian cricket mentor Andrew McDonald.
The Crows coach and senior assistant Scott Burns sat in the Aussies’ box on day two of the Adelaide Test against the West Indies on Thursday.
Wearing the national side’s polo and shorts, the AFL duo talked to players and staff about the team’s plans while Australia batted, before joining McDonald on the oval when he spoke with head curator Damian Hough during the tea break.
Two days earlier, McDonald, his assistants and high-performance staff spent about three hours at West Lakes, exchanging ideas with the Crows about topics such as communication, preparation and training.
McDonald has steered Australia to success in the World Test Championship and 50-over World Cup since being appointed in April 2022.

The Crows catch-ups were organised by Ashley Ross, a former New Zealand cricket coach who now worked in coaching development with Adelaide.
Ross also arranged for Nicks and Crows football boss Adam Kelly to spend a week inside New Zealand Rugby in October.
Kelly said clubs always learnt something by chatting with other people in elite sport.
“It was interesting to hear some of their thoughts on preparation, training, communication, team building and ultimately performing on game day,” Kelly said of McDonald and his assistants’ visit to West Lakes.
“And following that we were fortunate enough that Nicksy and Scott Burns were able to spend Thursday at the Test Match and in the Aussies’ box, getting to see first hand some of their philosophies and plans put into practice in real time.”

Oh great, Nicksy getting his "keep the out of form senior player in the team at all cost" policy validated.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chris Scott benefits from Geelong being generally well run and well treated by the league. If you put him at a crap club like North or Essendon, would he be any better than his brother?

Chris Scott benefits from Geelong being generally well run and well treated by the league. If you put him at a crap club like North or Essendon, would he be any better than his brother?

I doubt it. His conversion rate from finals to flags is pretty poor. 11 finals series, 9 finishes in the top 4, for 2 flags.

God, Burns has developed a huge pot belly. (Perhaps, I'm not supposed to mention this these days?) ;)
Let's focus on Coach Burns' professional skills and contributions to the team, rather than personal appearance. Everyone's body changes, and it's not really relevant to his coaching abilities.

Let's focus on Coach Burns' professional skills and contributions to the team, rather than personal appearance. Everyone's body changes, and it's not really relevant to his coaching abilities.

Getting buy in from the troops is a key aspect of leadership. If you think that being morbidly obese has no impact upon that, then it's you with the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back