Autopsy Match sim versus Pies. This Wednesday, 10am. AIA.

Remove this Banner Ad

21 touches from Kerch.

Leads all players on the ground.
I know it's a match sim but this is his first crack at playing some footy against AFL level players. The dude is a ball magnet and then always tries to create something with it.

Yeh its not always coming off but he's played 0 games... Give him a few years to settle in and he's going to be one of the best in the league

We look heaps better than I'd hoped. Whatever happens in the rest of the game we've shown we can make this work and with time we'll be a bloody good side.
I think we now need to show that we can do this across 4 quarters, yes it's only the first practice match, but last year we consistently had at least one quarter of horrible football that cost us the game. Would love to see us run this one out.

Been super impressed by Lazzaro all pre season, and his form is holding up today. Very happy I was proven wrong on this one, wrote him off ages ago. He’s cemented himself in that round 1 team 100%.

We absolutely did get the rub of the green, if we're being honest.

Not complaining. I'll take it. But just saying I can understand their angst.
Laarkey has had some easy goals. Laz gets high contact fees regularly but he runs with his head up instead of ducking it so he earns them.

I think we now need to show that we can do this across 4 quarters, yes it's only the first practice match, but last year we consistently had at least one quarter of horrible football that cost us the game. Would love to see us run this one out.
So would I but I'm happy we've shown something new and different and that it can work.

Quick thoughts after the second period (not including the match-sim specific stuff they are setting up for):

• Maybe the wind is a factor (most of the goals for both teams have been kicked to right-of-screen), but our effort looked significantly better in Q2 compared to Q1, and the scoreboard benefitted directly from it. We go into 'half time' up by a couple goals.
  • Larkey is probably the best set shot in the AFL. Just doesn't miss.
  • Jaidyn Stephenson and Paul Curtis both noticeably lifted in that quarter, and their combined forward pressure/linkage play directly resulted in multiple goals.
  • George Wardlaw. Elite.
  • Xerri showed some great glimpses. I'm probably not as high on his play as some others here appear to have been, but he did his job.
  • Simpkin playing as a half-forward could prove to be a Clarko master-stroke.
  • Toby Pink and Biggy Nyuon showed glimpses. Both clearly need to get a clump of AFL-level games under their belt, but good signs are there.
  • LDU probably hasn't left 2nd gear all day.
  • McKercher moves well and reads the play well. Probably won't be as elite as Sheezel was in terms of a first-year player last year, but will be solidly best 22 and looks the goods. Looks like he needs to put on another 5kg+ of muscle though.
  • (Just for those who aren't watching) A few notable guys we didn't really see much (if any) of in the first half, either because they literally didn't play, or because they didn't get involved much at all; Phillips, Comben, B. George, Archer, Ford, Bailey Scott, Curtis Taylor, and Darcy Tucker
  • In summary, that second quarter was great. Our ball movement and effort was good enough to overcome a few instances of average disposal. Especially inside out forward 50. In the first quarter, once the ball went into our forward 50, we struggled badly to lock it in. In the second quarter, our effort lifted considerably and it paid immediate dividends.
Nice summary, if I can add:

• Powell has been class every time he has touched the ball, whether in the midfield or down back. Could be a breakout season.
  • Stephens hasn't played big minutes (at least that's how it looks from 800kms away) but he has looked very good with ball in hand and his decision making has been excellent.
  • The backline is awfully inexperienced, even with Fisher down there, but they looked a very good the few times Collingwood went forward in that quarter.
  • Phillips, Hardiman, Hansen, Comben and Drury didn't make an appearance in that half, hopefully we will see them in the second half.

We absolutely did get the rub of the green, if we're being honest.

Not complaining. I'll take it. But just saying I can understand their angst.
Perhaps one or two roughies went out way but at least two straightforward 50s missed that would have led to goal scoring opportunities our way.

I'm biased of course but I don't think umpires are the difference so far.

Interested in what Ligma thinks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perhaps one or two roughies went out way but at least two straightforward 50s missed that would have led to goal scoring opportunities our way.

I'm biased of course but I don't think umpires are the difference so far.

Interested in what Ligma thinks.
I think it has been fine.

Stephens has racked up plenty of footy too. A lot of it has been forward of centre too which is a big positive. Would be amazing if we could add a goal kicking wingman to our midfield mix. Having a defensive winger in Scott and a more attacking winger in Stephens would be the perfect balance on the outside.
Thought he was good and hit the post on his right foot from 40 so not completely one sided

Fingers and toes and something else 🤣
Hd Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Match sim versus Pies. This Wednesday, 10am. AIA.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back