Coach Sam Mitchell's direction for the club and 2024 news

Remove this Banner Ad

If anyone wants to have a listen about what the data is saying in regards to whether we have actually gotten worse this year have a listen to this from the 9:15 mark.

I know a few people have already touched on it, but the data is also showing that our results this year have been slightly better despite actually putting out a younger team and dealing with some injuries.

And here.

Yeah mate, not convinced he isn't an alien though

Got one myself - I think he likes the footy more than me considering we spent 3 hours at the MCG one evening this summer because he refused to leave the park once there.

Got one myself - I think he likes the footy more than me considering we spent 3 hours at the MCG one evening this summer because he refused to leave the park once there.
Doggos and parks. Match made in heaven.

Hope your bank account is ok. What colour?

To keep things relevant. Sam Mitchell

Ok I think we're good

Hope your bank account is ok. What colour?

To keep things relevant. Sam Mitchell

Ok I think we're good

Big red dickhead. For relevance - here he is with a toy poodle reenacting a Josh Weddle and Nick Watson goal celebration.

IMG_8368.jpeg

I've been saying this for a few weeks.
Similarities are there.
I think we are better than Tigers 2017 overall, minus Dustin Martin.
Tigers had a few things we don't.

Rance, Martin, Riewoldt. I think we've got a stronger spread of players otherwise but that combination of top 3 key defender, top 3 midfielder and top 3 key forward held them in good stead. I know there's a tendency to underrate Jack but 787 goals and 3 Coleman medals speaks for itself.

Rance, Martin, Riewoldt. I think we've got a stronger spread of players otherwise but that combination of top 3 key defender, top 3 midfielder and top 3 key forward held them in good stead. I know there's a tendency to underrate Jack but 787 goals and 3 Coleman medals speaks for itself.
All three top players. I rated Jack.

I was thinking in terms of style.
Very similar but we don’t have an out of the box match winner who just does it on his terms wherever he wants.

Maybe that player will emerge soon. Weddle, Day, and Newcombe immediate candidates.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even those stars began their careers as nobodies.

I know there's a tendency to underrate Jack but 787 goals and 3 Coleman medals speaks for itself.

I was at a Lions v Tigers game with mates many moons back when Jack was leading his first Coleman. We were front row and there was a throw in which Jack was waiting for - I was many beers in so yelled 'Hey Jack...your cousin's better than you!' - to which he shot me a look which was a combination of 'who the **** are you?' and 'I'm leading the Coleman dickhead'.

They are an extraordinarily entertaining species. Little one embodies the Wiz to a tee.
My one’s a miniature. Loves his Hawks jumper - wags his tail when I pick it up on a cold night. Ducks his head and moves away from the other (neutral) one. Heart and soul supporter!

image0.jpeg

I was at a Lions v Tigers game with mates many moons back when Jack was leading his first Coleman. We were front row and there was a throw in which Jack was waiting for - I was many beers in so yelled 'Hey Jack...your cousin's better than you!' - to which he shot me a look which was a combination of 'who the **** are you?' and 'I'm leading the Coleman dickhead'.

Good to see your work in here is better than your boundary riding stuff, would have thought you'd have something more scything saved up for Jack.;)

Think about this: if the three teams involved in our last two rounds remain true to their 2024 form, we will no less than DOUBLE the number of wins we had in '23.

Mindblowing...
I'm genuinely not surprised by this, and it's not because I think Sam's a footy genius and our list is very good. I do think those things are true, but if you look at the history of where clubs finish year in and year out this is the rule and not the exception.

It's almost always a period of bad or meh, and then a massive leap forward, and then a period of good. Just in recent years you've got...

GWS 16th to 7th in 2023
Collingwood 17th to 4th in 2022
Sydney 16th to 6th in 2021
Port 10th to 1st in 2020
Brisbane from 15th to 2nd in 2019
Collingwood 13th to 3rd in 2018

Honestly I feel like if you looked at trends across the past however many decades, you could make a pretty good case that the worst place on the ladder is to be either last, or in the no-mans-land of 12th to 7th or thereabouts, and that the more time spent there instead of either lower or higher would correlate pretty strongly to time between flags.

I'm genuinely not surprised by this, and it's not because I think Sam's a footy genius and our list is very good. I do think those things are true, but if you look at the history of where clubs finish year in and year out this is the rule and not the exception.

It's almost always a period of bad or meh, and then a massive leap forward, and then a period of good. Just in recent years you've got...

GWS 16th to 7th in 2023
Collingwood 17th to 4th in 2022
Sydney 16th to 6th in 2021
Port 10th to 1st in 2020
Brisbane from 15th to 2nd in 2019
Collingwood 13th to 3rd in 2018

Honestly I feel like if you looked at trends across the past however many decades, you could make a pretty good case that the worst place on the ladder is to be either last, or in the no-mans-land of 12th to 7th or thereabouts, and that the more time spent there instead of either lower or higher would correlate pretty strongly to time between flags.
How many of those sides went 0-5 at the start of their big improvement year?

How many of those sides went 0-5 at the start of their big improvement year?
That's a completely different thing, though. The turnaround from then has been amazing but, to me, we were a better side than 0-5. I tend to look at that as a demerit instead of something that makes this more impressive, we made it much harder by playing beneath ourselves for so long and that may bite us later.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Sam Mitchell's direction for the club and 2024 news

Remove this Banner Ad

Back