šŸ˜² Umpire appointments & discussion - Rounds 0, 1,2 and beyond

Remove this Banner Ad

Was at Windy Hill the other day and this old guy who is a staunch Bombers fan see's my Tigers hat and comes up to me for a chat. He wished me luck against the GCS but then went on to say the AFL want GCS to win now and will do everything they can including having the umpires give them easy free kicks. And he's not even a Tigers fan.

As soon as I saw we had O'Gorman I thought he's right you know.
Sheedy's on the money there!;):cool:

Was at Windy Hill the other day and this old guy who is a staunch Bombers fan see's my Tigers hat and comes up to me for a chat. He wished me luck against the GCS but then went on to say the AFL want GCS to win now and will do everything they can including having the umpires give them easy free kicks. And he's not even a Tigers fan.

As soon as I saw we had O'Gorman I thought he's right you know.
AFL know exactly what they are doing

What happens if we win the free kick count today?
Is this satire?

Martin Scorsese Lol GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is going to be a bit of a rant.

I agree that we get a hard run from the umpires, but Iā€™m officially sick of blaming them. Itā€™s time our players copped heat for the stupid things they do.

We all know that what Broad did is against the rules. He was under no pressure to cross the line and he did. The lack of pressure was evident to even me sitting at home, so what about the ump standing there? He did that fully relying on the umps not calling him out for it, and they didnā€™t look past it. Grimesā€™ contact with the Gold Coast player was even worse. Those two decisions killed our comeback.

We do stupid crap like this all the time. Yes, we seem to get held to the rules unlike some sides, but youā€™d have expected the players to take better care by now. But nope, they still nonchalantly break the rules and get shocked when the umps call them out for it. The worst part is that they barely even attempt to hide their infringements from the umps, which is probably why they get pinged more than other teams. Players from other sides at least try to obscure it from the umps.

This is the 8th season of this crap and I am sick of it. Bloody play to the rules or at least try to hide you breaking them. Donā€™t display it for all to see and then whinge to the ump.

The players simply need to learn the rules and abide by it more. Rant over.

The umpiring overall was good. If a GC player did what Broad did we'd all be screaming for deliberate. The Grimes one was a flop but dumb and poor leadership by Grimes to shove him. Has no one else to blame.

Hoppers free innfront of goal was a cheapy so a bit of a square up there.

The non call against Grimes early when he was tackles off the ball for a GC goal was a howler though.

This is going to be a bit of a rant.

I agree that we get a hard run from the umpires, but Iā€™m officially sick of blaming them. Itā€™s time our players copped heat for the stupid things they do.

We all know that what Broad did is against the rules. He was under no pressure to cross the line and he did. The lack of pressure was evident to even me sitting at home, so what about the ump standing there? He did that fully relying on the umps not calling him out for it, and they didnā€™t look past it. Grimesā€™ contact with the Gold Coast player was even worse. Those two decisions killed our comeback.

We do stupid crap like this all the time. Yes, we seem to get held to the rules unlike some sides, but youā€™d have expected the players to take better care by now. But nope, they still nonchalantly break the rules and get shocked when the umps call them out for it. The worst part is that they barely even attempt to hide their infringements from the umps, which is probably why they get pinged more than other teams. Players from other sides at least try to obscure it from the umps.

This is the 8th season of this crap and I am sick of it. Bloody play to the rules or at least try to hide you breaking them. Donā€™t display it for all to see and then whinge to the ump.

The players simply need to learn the rules and abide by it more. Rant over.

This is why your post is straight up ****ing rubbish. Its not up to our players to disguise what we do better, its up to the umpires to be consistent and not pick and chose to influence games when they please which is exactly what they did in the Grimes and Broad incidents.

The contact Grimes placed on the GC player was no different to the shove he received when he took the mark. The only difference was the umpire decided to penalise one action and allow the other. While under the rules what Broad did was perfectly fine and 9 times out of 10 the umpire wont penalise.

This is why your post is straight up ******* rubbish. Its not up to our players to disguise what we do better, its up to the umpires to be consistent and not pick and chose to influence games when they please which is exactly what they did in the Grimes and Broad incidents.

The contact Grimes placed on the GC player was no different to the shove he received when he took the mark. The only difference was the umpire decided to penalise one action and allow the other. While under the rules what Broad did was perfectly fine and 9 times out of 10 the umpire wont penalise.
No, what Broad did under the rules was not fine. Broadā€™s actions can be classified as a deliberate rushed behind, and that is a free kick to the opposition if he was not under pressure when doing so. It is something that umpires donā€™t enforce most of the time, but Iā€™ve seen them enforce it from time to time. I watched Broad do it, and I agree with the ump that Broad was not under pressure when he crossed the line. So, the free is technically there even though opposition players get away with it most of the time.

My point is that this is the 8th year of this crap. Our players (especially the veterans) should know the rules better than anyone in the league given how strictly weā€™ve been adjudicated in the past. Thatā€™s why I no longer care when we get pinged for something that the opposition got away with. They simply should know better, even in situations where the infringements happen consecutively on the field like what happened with Grimes and his opponent. To me, I see that as complaining about a cop deciding to pull someone over for crossing a yellow traffic light with enough time to stop and letting go the one next to them that did the exact same thing. By the rule they shouldā€™ve pulled both over, but at the end of the day, itā€™s up to the person not to cross a yellow light with enough time to stop in the first place. Otherwise, theyā€™d be relying on the cop to not fine them for it.

Do I wish the umpires held every club to the same standard of adjudication? Yes. It is clear that we get held to a higher standard than many other clubs. Do I want the AFL to address it? Yes. But after 7 years of the same shit, youā€™d expect our players to understand how weā€™ll get adjudicated in the 8th year. Especially veterans like Grimes and Broad. So why are players like them still doing whatever they feel like and relying on the ump not to call them out when they infringe the rules? What of the last 7 years made them think that they could get away with it? Because it clearly seems like they expected different when I see their shocked facial expressions.

So I donā€™t care anymore about how the umps adjudicate. Itā€™s not going to change anytime soon from what Iā€™ve seen, so we need to adjust and follow the bloody rules instead. Winning the match is more important, and we no longer have the talent to survive unnecessary free kick against in crucial moments. Itā€™s time our lack of discipline gets focused on. Itā€™s not a popular viewpoint on this board, but more people need to realise how careless some of our players are on the field. They need to stop this.

šŸ˜² Umpire appointments & discussion - Rounds 0, 1,2 and beyond

Remove this Banner Ad

Back