Player Watch #1 GigaChad Warner: 2024 All Australian

Remove this Banner Ad

chad.jpg

Chad Warner
When the Sydney Swans swept up Chad Warner with pick 39 at the 2019 AFL Draft, they secured a youngster with an insatiable appetite for the contest. Warner attacks the ball and opponents with aggression and is relishing calling midfield bulls Josh Kennedy and Luke Parker his teammates at the Swans. Warner impressed for Western Australia in the 2019 AFL Under-18 Championships, averaging 18.2 touches (50 per cent contested), 3.2 clearances and 6.8 tackles per game. He also tallied an average of 27.1 disposals, 6.4 clearances and 7.4 tackles per match at Colts level for East Fremantle in 2019. He earned his AFL debut against Richmond in Round 6 of the 2020 season, recording eight disposals and two tackles.

Chad Warner
DOB: 19 May 2001
DEBUT: 2020
DRAFT: #39, 2019 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Willetton (WA)/Aquinas College (WA)/East Fremantle (WAFL)

Last edited by a moderator:
It does when your present team is in the Premiership window , and really we still are with some luck
I reckon if you are in the window you keep your stars. You play your hand. Then you deal with whatever happens afterwards.

Warner is valuable to us chasing a flag. Try and find a replacement. It aint happening.

I'll be happy if he plays with the Swans in 2025. Whatever happens afterwards is afterwards. I get the less draft picks we get. But I would rather a flag. He can enable that more than a draft pick can.

It does when your present team is in the Premiership window , and really we still are with some luck

The flip side is maximise the asset and don't have a disinterested player here.

Hopefully he stays ,we don't know what will happen.

I think the club will be determined to keep Warner for another year. It would really weaken the squad if we lose a 23yo damaging line breaking midfielder.

After the devastating GF loss, I don't think fans/teammates will be happy to trade Warner unnecessarily. Even if we can get pick 3 from West Coast or pick 9 from Fremantle. Sometimes 1st round draft picks can still take a few seasons to make an impact.

Looking at the ages of guys like Grundy, Papley, Heeney, Cunningham and Lloyd. I think we still have a 3 year window to have another shot without significantly turning over the squad.

I think the club will be determined to keep Warner for another year. It would really weaken the squad if we lose a 23yo damaging line breaking midfielder.

After the devastating GF loss, I don't think fans/teammates will be happy to trade Warner unnecessarily. Even if we can get pick 3 from West Coast or pick 9 from Fremantle. Sometimes 1st round draft picks can still take a few seasons to make an impact.

Looking at the ages of guys like Grundy, Papley, Heeney, Cunningham and Lloyd. I think we still have a 3 year window to have another shot without significantly turning over the squad.
This is why I think it makes sense for him to sign a 2 year extension through '27.

He gets 3 more years with a premiership caliber core, then hits the market at age 26 when West Coast are possibly a finals team with their draftees maturing and can pay him $1.6m+ per year.

This is why I think it makes sense for him to sign a 2 year extension through '27.

He gets 3 more years with a premiership caliber core, then hits the market at age 26 when West Coast are possibly a finals team with their draftees maturing and can pay him $1.6m+ per year.

IF its crickets by June/July he is 100% gone.

West Coast dont have a history of staying down to long they are highly successful they will be in the 8 very shortly.

I reckon if you are in the window you keep your stars. You play your hand. Then you deal with whatever happens afterwards.

Warner is valuable to us chasing a flag. Try and find a replacement. It aint happening.

I'll be happy if he plays with the Swans in 2025. Whatever happens afterwards is afterwards. I get the less draft picks we get. But I would rather a flag. He can enable that more than a draft pick can.
This i'm rusted on , end of story .

If we assume he’s going (and it’s only an assumption on my part):

Leaves this year
  • no Chad in 2025
  • pick 3 in this draft
  • another decent pick in 2025 or 26

Leaves next year
  • Chad in 2025
  • likely one first round pick in the 26 draft

My personal view: history shows belted grand finalists don’t do well the following year.

2025 is going to be a real struggle for us anyway.

IF he’s leaving, trade him to WC now & optimise his value.

If there's a decent chance he will stay though you can't trade him.

But he also doesn't have to decide now to be fair. It's easy from here to say nah **** it trade him.

But what if he gets a WA side a flag in 25 and you could have had success with him, or convinced him over the year to stay.

If there's a decent chance he will stay though you can't trade him.

But he also doesn't have to decide now to be fair. It's easy from here to say nah **** it trade him.

But what if he gets a WA side a flag in 25 and you could have had success with him, or convinced him over the year to stay.
I’ve been told (by someone who is pretty well connected) that he’s off - but isn’t in any great rush & is happy to stay for the duration of his current contract.

I’m just gloomy about our prospects in 2025 & jeez, pick 3 in this draft is tempting.

Otherwise, we run the risk of a Judas-style reaming at the end of next season.

I’ve been told (by someone who is pretty well connected) that he’s off - but isn’t in any great rush & is happy to stay for the duration of his current contract.

I’m just gloomy about our prospects in 2025 & jeez, pick 3 in this draft is tempting.

Chad that doesnt help the club :tearsofjoy:

If we assume he’s going (and it’s only an assumption on my part):

Leaves this year
  • no Chad in 2025
  • pick 3 in this draft
  • another decent pick in 2025 or 26

Leaves next year
  • Chad in 2025
  • likely one first round pick in the 26 draft

My personal view: history shows belted grand finalists don’t do well the following year.

2025 is going to be a real struggle for us anyway.

IF he’s leaving, trade him to WC now & optimise his value.
Essendon and Hawthorn in 93 94 ish

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, but if you make moves that are underscored by an acceptance that next year will be a down year, you run the risk of just further damaging the morale of the team and hurting us longer term.

Pick 3 isn't going to contribute jack shit towards us winning a Premiership if the club makes an unnecessary move that implies to the players that they're not good enough.

Sure we'd get better draft picks, but I think from a broader team sense, the cost would be far greater than the difference between what we'd get for Warner now versus next year.

Also Warner is a far more established player and rated much higher externally than Dawson was when he left.

Most opposition clubs won't pull the rubbish the Crows did at the trade table either.

Yeah, but if you make moves that are underscored by an acceptance that next year will be a down year, you run the risk of just further damaging the morale of the team and hurting us longer term.

Pick 3 isn't going to contribute jack shit towards us winning a Premiership if the club makes an unnecessary move that implies to the players that they're not good enough.

Sure we'd get better draft picks, but I think from a broader team sense, the cost would be far greater than the difference between what we'd get for Warner now versus next year.
Idk Pick 3 would help us turn over this mentally soft list a lot quicker

Idk Pick 3 would help us turn over this mentally soft list a lot quicker
That's a pretty wild assumption. Pick 3 could also be a complete dud while Warner could have another All-Australian year next year.

IMO it would be pissweak and terrible for our culture to push a gun player out before he wants to leave while we're in a Premiership window.

Again, think of the implications if you're a player and expecting to compete for a flag next year and the club decides to unnecessarily push out one of our best players. If you think we're soft now, just wait to see how shattering that would be to confidence. It's an admission of defeat before the season starts. It's fanciful stuff and won't happen.

We didn't do it with Paps (thank ****) who actually wanted to leave at the time we kept him and we weren't even in a Premiership window then.

Actually, I've come around. Trading Warner for potentially the next Stephens because we might get a later pick next year is really astute list management.

That's a pretty wild assumption. Pick 3 could also be a complete dud while Warner could have another All-Australian year next year.

IMO it would be pissweak and terrible for our culture to push a gun player out before he wants to leave while we're in a Premiership window.

Again, think of the implications if you're a player and expecting to compete for a flag next year and the club decides to unnecessarily push out one of our best players. If you think we're soft now, just wait to see how shattering that would be to confidence. It's an admission of defeat before the season starts. It's fanciful stuff and won't happen.

We didn't do it with Paps (thank ****) who actually wanted to leave at the time we kept him and we weren't even in a Premiership window then.
I'm just venting cause I'm upset. I wouldn't respond to me rationally

Tbf I liked Stephens
I liked him too and was one of his biggest defenders on here. He was judged too harshly because of where he was drafted (which wasn't his fault).

I can already see the exact same thing happening on here if we did trade Warner this year and pick 3 (or whatever we get) was anything less than elite. "We traded this fraud for Warner?"

Not based on any inside Intel but don't believe he'll be leaving. Loves the club, girlfriend happy to stay in Sydney, we'll be made to work for it but in the end expect him to stay
Genuine question - what makes you think that his girlfriend is happy to stay in Sydney?

Last report I read said one of the reasons he’s likely to go back is because his girlfriend wants to go back.

Anyway, I give it a less than 1% chance of happening this year, so I won't spend any more time on it (until I feel like it at least).

I think a lot of us have viewed Heeney as our Dusty equivalent for years. But Heeney has more of a contested game than Martin did. I actually think Warner is the better candidate for that role and if we make him a 70% FWD / 30% MID next year it could be a game changer.

He already kicked 35 goals this year, no reason he couldn't increase that to 40+ next year with more time forward and damaging bursts through the midfield.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #1 GigaChad Warner: 2024 All Australian

Remove this Banner Ad

Back