Past #1: Jack Mahony - drafted w #34 in '17 ND - delisted end '23 - 40 NM games/17 NM goals - thx Mahns

Remove this Banner Ad

The reasons he was drafted

STRENGTHS:
Footy IQ
Creativity
Agility
Consistency
Work rate

These may still eventuate into becoming a really good player.

Right now though, he just doesn’t affect the contest enough and needs to get better.

STRENGTHS:
Footy IQ
Creativity
Agility
Consistency
Work rate

Right now though, he just doesn’t affect the contest enough and needs to get better.

With his size and pace he realistically needs to add some weight and do a Dumont level amount of work on moving from contests. He has to be able to avoid being brushed off physically and capable of running 10% harder than 80% of his teammates and opponents. Just an all day running machine that can still physically pressure the carrier. At the moment he's not big enough to apply pressure and he can't outrun his opponents. Tough ask, but it is what it is.

I like Perez and think that will prove to be smart recruiting. I have no clue on who we might have drafted as I don't follow juniors. I know you do and I appreciate the knowledge you share. If as you say we were linked to Warner who is going well that is disappointing.

Where did you have Jack out of curiosity? He looked underwhelming from the get-go with hindsight fully engaged.

And this is not about besmirching him as a young man I'm sure he's a mighty fine dude. This is about him never being good enough to play football at the highest level. Just like me and the majority of the population.

And Why TF did we need to sign him all the way through to 2023?

From memory in the 50's. I always had concerns on his height and speed and whether or not he would have enough tools to overcome those two downsides. In under 16's he was one of the best performed juniors in Australia, but as other players grew and developed he slipped down the pecking order. To me he looked far too similar to Nathan Hrovat who had the exact same issues as an AFL footballer. Like Hrovat though you can't fault his work ethic or footy IQ. Top kid and the ultimate professional. I'm hopeful that there is still a bit of growth there.

Regarding the contract the same could be said for Lazzaro. Some perplexing list decisions over the past 3 years.

From memory in the 50's. I always had concerns on his height and speed and whether or not he would have enough tools to overcome those two downsides. In under 16's he was one of the best performed juniors in Australia, but as other players grew and developed he slipped down the pecking order. To me he looked far too similar to Nathan Hrovat who had the exact same issues as an AFL footballer. Like Hrovat though you can't fault his work ethic or footy IQ. Top kid and the ultimate professional. I'm hopeful that there is still a bit of growth there.

Regarding the contract the same could be said for Lazzaro. Some perplexing list decisions over the past 3 years.

I also have followed Jack since U16's and have been honestly really surprised by negative comments here. I previously worked for Carlton in recruiting and have followed Jack's progress since as my love of Roos has always been with me.

I believe many on here have some short memories and if you care to go back to pages earlier in season we were congratulating him on his improvement and mentions were made that after R4 he would be very high in B & F etc. If you include the pre-season games i think it would be very hard to argue that he wasn't oue best 3-5 players over that period.

His AFL stats for first 4 rounds:

Disposals: 15.25 per game
Tackles: 3.75
I50 tackles: 1.25
I50 marks: 1.00
Goals: 0.75 (3)

All of these rate him as 'above average' or 'elite" for whole of the AFL - in a team that was 1-3 through that time.

In round 5 he injured his ankle and only played half a game and since then my understanding is that it has had basically weekly setbacks as they try and manage the problem. Through that time he has also played sub role twice - but his averages are still above many of his peers even though he had no game time. I think the right thing was then done to try and give him a break to recover and now start to re-build again.

But honestly i am so sick of us writing off our young players when we are asking them to develop in a system that is diabolical to say the least - what NMFC need to do is to protect and develop our young players through this dismal period because honestly we will need all the players currently on our list below age 24 to provide the basis for our future...just my thoughts....

Mahony is the perfect example of a guy who should be toiling away on ball in the 2nds, building his confidence and getting the odd taste here and there. Unfortunately having deep cuts and a long injury list means he plays regular senior footy.

On SM-A528B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Definitely agree there. You could say that for another half a dozen of our young guys who have consistently played senior footy over the last couple of years. Most of these kids should be getting a block of 3-4 games, then back to the VFL to work on their craft. Obviously there are exceptions for that like JHF.

I also have followed Jack since U16's and have been honestly really surprised by negative comments here. I previously worked for Carlton in recruiting and have followed Jack's progress since as my love of Roos has always been with me.

I believe many on here have some short memories and if you care to go back to pages earlier in season we were congratulating him on his improvement and mentions were made that after R4 he would be very high in B & F etc. If you include the pre-season games i think it would be very hard to argue that he wasn't oue best 3-5 players over that period.

All of these rate him as 'above average' or 'elite" for whole of the AFL - in a team that was 1-3 through that time.

In round 5 he injured his ankle and only played half a game and since then my understanding is that it has had basically weekly setbacks as they try and manage the problem. Through that time he has also played sub role twice - but his averages are still above many of his peers even though he had no game time. I think the right thing was then done to try and give him a break to recover and now start to re-build again.

But honestly i am so sick of us writing off our young players when we are asking them to develop in a system that is diabolical to say the least - what NMFC need to do is to protect and develop our young players through this dismal period because honestly we will need all the players currently on our list below age 24 to provide the basis for our future...just my thoughts....
Well said.

Of course the issue is that when he dropped away we had nobody to replace him due to the depth of list cuts. I'm of the view that he has time still, but that playing him had reached the point of more harm than good to his future.

Definitely agree there. You could say that for another half a dozen of our young guys who have consistently played senior footy over the last couple of years. Most of these kids should be getting a block of 3-4 games, then back to the VFL to work on their craft. Obviously there are exceptions for that like JHF.
Absolutely RF. Although he looks 35 mahony is still young, plenty of time to either build some form and confidence or be delisted at the end of next year. I don't think renewing their contract and giving them an extra year or so is a big deal. Giving kayne Turner 2 years is.

Yes well I agree with all that , just unfortunately for Jack it’s 2022 not 1967.

Being able to spread and use pace to breakaway is imperative in todays shite modern football .

And yeah that’s his downfall and always will be . We’re shite across the board and players like Jack ain’t taking us up the ladder .
Anothe P. Curtis clone would have been handy , just sayin .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With his size and pace he realistically needs to add some weight and do a Dumont level amount of work on moving from contests. He has to be able to avoid being brushed off physically and capable of running 10% harder than 80% of his teammates and opponents. Just an all day running machine that can still physically pressure the carrier. At the moment he's not big enough to apply pressure and he can't outrun his opponents. Tough ask, but it is what it is.

I still have hopes that he can become a Papley type. He seems to work to the right places but as mentioned needs to increase his strength. I did see a while back, might even have been last year, that he had pretty decent endurance running numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I still have hopes that he can become a Papley type. He seems to work to the right places but as mentioned needs to increase his strength. I did see a while back, might even have been last year, that he had pretty decent endurance running numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
He aint ever becoming a Papley type, he simply doesn't have any goal sense as thats not to say there's not a role for him if he can tidy up his disposal.

I was backing him in big time after his pre season where he was easily our most consistent player.

I’m not writing him off by all means, I just think he is a bit limited due to his height and lack of damage with ball in hand. He is only twenty and has high footy IQ, so there may be some decent growth ahead for him. But realistically He isn’t going to end up a Boomer type game breaker.

I’d have him in the side over Turner everyday of the week and I have no doubt he has the potential to be a good depth player as we move forward with our list build.

STRENGTHS:
Footy IQ
Creativity
Agility
Consistency
Work rate

Also SuperCoach scores were high in juniors

as the old saying goes, ' no I in we ' :p

And of course I would want all of our players to grand wonderful footballers, just when you tend to lose heavily most weeks, it's more than just the fault of the coaches.

Someone posted his attributes, but there is also this, " That lack of explosiveness is Mahony’s biggest area for improvement. He would be a shoe-in for more forward time if he were a touch quicker,

That reeks of plodder and then this..
IMPROVEMENTS:

Size
Explosiveness

Yeah nah he's cooked as we like to say around here. Not sure if good folk watch the opposition instead of us? We get smashed weekly on our opponents ability to break away and run.

Poor Jack aint ever going to help us in that regard. We have finally realised this and have recruited Curtis, Goater, Bergman.

He can stay and play VFL for as long as he wants.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #1: Jack Mahony - drafted w #34 in '17 ND - delisted end '23 - 40 NM games/17 NM goals - thx Mahns

Remove this Banner Ad

Back