AFL Player #10: Sam Weideman

Remove this Banner Ad

If we don't get McKay then you'd put money on that happening. He can also be swung forward in a pinch if they go that way.
I think that suits him best and could see that working. The pressure of being a regular goal kicker is removed and I could see him kicking a few when swung forward as long as he isn't there for too long.

played through an achilles injury, will return to main training in January
Was ready to put a line through him completely but think I'll give him one more chance. Wright was a fizzler in 2021 before he got some of his ish together in 2022. Maybe the extra expectation placed on him with 2MP going down on the eve of the season affected his mindset.

Also if it wasn't for his 5 goals vs Geelong it would've been a total blowout and his last goal got us over the 100-point mark, making the score line look more respectable. One could also argue making the most of his 2 frees early in the Dreamtime match was probably the difference in the end.

Need to be purely methodical next year. No gifted games, has to earn his spot outright. Even if we have 20 injuries across the field, if he doesn't push someone out through efforts in the 2's, he shouldn't play. If he squanders it, no delays in going back.

Last edited:
Was ready to put a line through him completely but think I'll give him one more chance. Wright was a fizzler in 2021 before he got some of his ish together in 2022. Maybe the extra expectation placed on him with 2MP going down on the eve of the season affected his mindset.

Also if it wasn't for his 5 goals vs Geelong it would've been a total blowout and his last goal got us over the 100-point mark, making the score line look more respectable. One could also argue making the most of his 2 frees early in the Dreamtime match was probably the difference in the end.

Need to be purely methodical next year. No gifted games, has to earn his spot outright. Even if we have 20 injuries across the field, if he doesn't push someone out through efforts in the 2's, he shouldn't play. If he squanders it, no delays in going back.
He would not have been gifted games if there was any competition for KPF. Lets face it they where all injured. Jones. Wright. Cox and Reid as possible chances. Hunter late in the year. He was really the only one standing a lot of weeks and he has his own injury issues.
And do not give me Voss as KP. He played nothing like a KP. Voss was a slow medium forward.
Sam had rubbish form for sure but there was no real competition for the spot. Even Wright was crap when he gets back.
Anyway I suspect he will play more defence than anything else and he looked a lot better in the back half. Attacked the ball better. Maybe it was knowing the knee in the back or the contact to the back of the head was not going to be a regular thing.

He would not have been gifted games if there was any competition for KPF. Lets face it they where all injured. Jones. Wright. Cox and Reid as possible chances. Hunter late in the year. He was really the only one standing a lot of weeks and he has his own injury issues.
And do not give me Voss as KP. He played nothing like a KP. Voss was a slow medium forward.
Sam had rubbish form for sure but there was no real competition for the spot. Even Wright was crap when he gets back.
Anyway I suspect he will play more defence than anything else and he looked a lot better in the back half. Attacked the ball better. Maybe it was knowing the knee in the back or the contact to the back of the head was not going to be a regular thing.
Wright got back, had two half decent games and then played on a plantar fascia injury until he couldn’t, didn’t he?

Don’t forget Drapes too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will never, ever be an AFL quality forward - he cannot do it consistently and has shown this over a period of many years now.

If they play him in defence he will look better because it’s easier to play in defence. Ultimately my guess he’ll be let down by the same things that have prevented him from succeeding as a forward - specifically a lack of competitiveness.

Will never, ever be an AFL quality forward - he cannot do it consistently and has shown this over a period of many years now.

If they play him in defence he will look better because it’s easier to play in defence. Ultimately my guess he’ll be let down by the same things that have prevented him from succeeding as a forward - specifically a lack of competitiveness.
Has the physical tools to be a good forward but the mental pressure to consistently kick goals affects him. As a defender that pressure isn't there and I think he could make it down there.

Has the physical tools to be a good forward but the mental pressure to consistently kick goals affects him. As a defender that pressure isn't there and I think he could make it down there.
We’ll see.

My view is that back or forward, Sam has repeatedly shown us who he is over many years now.

I will be (pleasantly) surprised if he makes it.

We’ll see.

My view is that back or forward, Sam has repeatedly shown us who he is over many years now.

I will be (pleasantly) surprised if he makes it.
His VFL stuff was a lot more competitive in defence. I think the issue is he does not like the contact from behind which he was not getting in defence.
He looked a different player. There is no doubt he has a bit of a soft side .

His VFL stuff was a lot more competitive in defence. I think the issue is he does not like the contact from behind which he was not getting in defence.
After concussion they tend to be more weary of that, so makes sense. Doesn’t help us much though

It’s definitely more demanding playing forward, mentally and physically. But playing in defence you still have to take your turn. Laverde would have huge internal respect for the absolute battering he takes every week. Will he take his turn consistently? Time will tell.

There is also a different mental pressure - need to be mentally tough to back in your hands and mark the footy and also to handle being isolated deep on quality forwards, especially in big moments.

Let’s see what happens - I’d have it something like 30/70 in terms of likelihood he makes it vs likelihood he’s out of the AFL when his current contract finishes.

I remain optimistic but maybe I'm too easy on KPF. I still think Stewart was worth another year and had a soft spot for Mckernan
McKernan was very unlucky.....he could play but what Worsfold was asking of him (working up and back as our only real forward marking option) was ridiculous.

If he been paired with a quality #1 forward he’d have been a very decent #2. He can probably thank JD for that.

McKernan was very unlucky.....he could play but what Worsfold was asking of him (working up and back as our only real forward marking option) was ridiculous.

If he been paired with a quality #1 forward he’d have been a very decent #2. He can probably thank JD for that.
McKernan was lucky to have lasted so long. He never kicked 20 goals in a year. He averaged less than 1 goal/game over his career as a guy who spent the vast majority of his career forward.

Never seen more excuses for a guy who wasn't up to the grade than him.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #10: Sam Weideman

Remove this Banner Ad

Back