Player Watch #11: Luke "Two Dogs" McDonald (Part II) - Roo til end '26 - 2023/24 co captain w/ Jy

Remove this Banner Ad

Watching those highlights it makes me wonder why we've never tried Luke as a forward. Can take a contested grab, kicks it long and straight every time (not a problem when you're going long down the line to the big sticks) and can obviously apply tackling pressure. Might be too late now since we have about 6 guys lined up for the third tall role.

Watching those highlights it makes me wonder why we've never tried Luke as a forward. Can take a contested grab, kicks it long and straight every time (not a problem when you're going long down the line to the big sticks) and can obviously apply tackling pressure. Might be too late now since we have about 6 guys lined up for the third tall role.
I’ve seen enough times of Luke getting their hands around 50 to know he’s not made for kicking goals.

Luke McDonald – 200 games

The 34th player to play 200 games for the North Melbourne Football Club

Played: 199 Won: 69 Drawn: 0 Lost: 130

Game 1 – Round 1, 2014 v Essendon (Docklands). Essendon 15.9-99 d. North Melbourne 9.6-60
Game 50 – Round 13, 2016 v Hawthorn (Docklands). Hawthorn 14.9-93 d. North Melbourne 11.18-84
Game 100 – Round 4, 2019 v Adelaide (Docklands). North Melbourne 9.17-71 d. Adelaide 8.11-59
Game 150 – Round 13, 2022 v GWS Giants (Docklands). GWS Giants 15.12-102 d. North Melbourne 7.11-53

Disposals
Game High: 35 (Round 9, 2020 v Adelaide)
Season High: 463 (2017)

Kicks
Game High: 25 (Round 9, 2020 v Adelaide)
Season High: 305 (2022)

Handballs
Game High: 16 (Round 11, 2018 v Brisbane Lions)
Season High: 187 (2017)

Marks
Game High: 12 (Round 1, 2022 v Hawthorn)
Season High: 119 (2022, 2023)

Goals: 18 Behinds: 27

Brownlow Medal Games
Round 9, 2020 v Adelaide – 2 votes
Round 1, 2022 v Hawthorn – 2 votes

Finals:
Elimination Final, 2014 v Essendon
Semi Final, 2014 v Geelong
Preliminary Final, 2014 v Sydney
Semi Final, 2015 v Sydney
Elimination Final, 2016 v Adelaide

Most Consecutive Games: 54 (Round 23, 2016 v GWS Giants to Round 4, 2019 v Adelaide)

Has played 199 of 242 games since debut

Honours

2014 – Rising Star Nomination (Round 4 v Sydney)
2020 – North Melbourne Best & Fairest
2021-22 – North Melbourne Vice-Captain
2023- - North Melbourne Captain

In 2017-18 he seemed to like the goals.

Maybe it's the fact he peaked at that point and can't reproduce those performances. Not sure.

if we compiled a list of our 200 gamers, where would he sit?

The answer to your loaded question is on it.

He is on it. Even if he is last in some peoples eyes the reality is there are a lot of players who were never able to get themselves on it.

the exploded hammy and the broken leg hampered what he could have been IMO. He could play and he has fronted up every week through our lowest ebb.

People can say what they like about him but he's absolutely worthy of some respect for his career.

The answer to your loaded question is on it.

He is on it. Even if he is last in some peoples eyes the reality is there are a lot of players who were never able to get themselves on it.

the exploded hammy and the broken leg hampered what he could have been IMO. He could play and he has fronted up every week through our lowest ebb.

People can say what they like about him but he's absolutely worthy of some respect for his career.
How is my question loaded? He’d be dead bottom last

How is my question loaded? He’d be dead bottom last

Definition of a loaded question:

A loaded question is a form of complex question that contains a controversial assumption. Such questions may be used as a rhetorical tool: the question attempts to limit direct replies to be those that serve the questioner's agenda.

How is your question not loaded?

Your previous posts coupled with your question imply that the answer you want to hear is "he's last" and you would be willing to argue with those that don't agree with your assessment.

Which in turn is exactly what you have done.

Definition of a loaded question:

A loaded question is a form of complex question that contains a controversial assumption. Such questions may be used as a rhetorical tool: the question attempts to limit direct replies to be those that serve the questioner's agenda.

How is your question not loaded?

Your previous posts coupled with your question imply that the answer you want to hear is "he's last" and you would be willing to argue with those that don't agree with your assessment.

Which in turn is exactly what you have done.
Players are ranked, its part of an elite performance industry. The worst 200 game player to ever play, should never have played 200

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not a captains arse hole, count your lucky stars Luke. The club should have passed on you at pick 8.

If it wasn’t for north and their disposition the last 5/6 years, you could have been at another club and delisted before you were 21.

You owe the club. You owe them immensely.

I expect Luke to be a volunteer in the roo shop and on game day for the rest of his life

Last edited:
Not a captains arse hole, count your lucky stars Luke. The club should have passed on you at pick 8.

If it wasn’t for north and their disposition the last 5/6 years, you could have been at another club and delisted before you were 21.

You owe the club. You owe them immensely.

I expect Luke to be a volunteer in the roo shop and on game day for the rest of his life
Mate, mostly I agree with you, but I for 1 would turn around and walk out were he to be in the Club shop for the next however long he lives. I agree it'd save me a dollar or 2, but I've seen enough of him for this lifetime thank you :)

Mate, mostly I agree with you, but I for 1 would turn around and walk out were he to be in the Club shop for the next however long he lives. I agree it'd save me a dollar or 2, but I've seen enough of him for this lifetime thank you :)
I dont buy merchandise, if I did, I would probably agree with you hahahaha didn’t think that through

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #11: Luke "Two Dogs" McDonald (Part II) - Roo til end '26 - 2023/24 co captain w/ Jy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back