Past #12: Lindsay Thomas - released by NM to pursue rookie list spot at PA - thx4 everything Lindsay

Remove this Banner Ad

Half way point of the season I would said he was a certainty for the AA team. Quiet 2nd half makes me think he may miss out or just get a bench spot. Either way it's been a tremendous year for him. LT is reaping the rewards of hard work and continuous support from the club.

Congratulations to LT on what was a fantastic year.

Hopefully he will improve on his output in 2014.

A great year by Lindsay, and I'm a little gutted I underestimated his return.

I am very confident he'll continue from here, just the way he goes about playing his footy, a smart cookie. Those 'quiet' games he was thereabouts, just a bounce of the ball a missed place kick....

At this stage I reckon his return for next season will be around the 55-61 goals. Will keep the behinds to myself for now. :p

#12 Lindsay Thomas

thomas_lindsay_o.png

Summary
Two years ago, it looked like Lindsay Thomas' career was heading down the drain, fast. After kicking a shockingly inaccurate 19.38 in 2011, Thomas stood up last year to improve his accuracy and be a vital part of the team. In 2013, he took it to another level, advancing his game so much that he became the best small forward in the game. Thomas played 20 games, missing two matches through suspension, and kicked 53.23, ranked seventh in the league. He led the Coleman Medal for majority of the season after a fantastic start to the year, in which he booted two bags of five, two of four and a haul of three in the opening five matches.

Thomas returned from his suspension in a blaze of glory in Round 17 against Carlton, winning 10 disposals and kicking six majors, some of which were the best goals of the night. However, his scoring dried up considerably after this, scoring 5.6 in the next five games, but he improved in Round 23 against Collingwood, scoring 3.0 to end the year on a high. 2.6 was a good number for Thomas in 2013, averaging that total for tackles, marks and goals in 2013, along with 10.5 possessions. Thomas was widely tipped to earn his first All-Australian nod in the forward pocket, but was overlooked. Turning 26 early next season, Thomas' best footy is still ahead of him, and there is still plenty of time left in his career to get that recognition.

Quote:Cyril Rioli and Grant Birchall have highlighted Lindsay Thomas as one of the main threats on Saturday at Etihad Stadium.

http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2013-08-22/e...ark-thomas

Quote:It's been a quiet couple of weeks for North Melbourne's Lindsay Thomas, but there's no doubting he's been one of the best small-forwards in the competition throughout 2013.

http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2013-08-15/forward-thinking

241542-lindsay-thomas.jpg

890274-lindsay-thomas.jpg

403264-lindsay-thomas.jpg

281586-tlsgalleryportrait.jpg

His first three goals here, all in the first quarter, are amazing

Great season from Lindsay, really should have had AA selection. Another victim of people named out of position and an excess of midfielders.

Partially.

He is also a victim of his own stupidity. Headbutt anyone?

And let's face it. His staging for free kicks would see him well placed to play that shitful round ball game.

The staging is just absolute rubbish, and he has done it so often, the umpires refuse to pay him free kicks, even when they are actually there.

Partially.

And let's face it. His staging for free kicks would see him well placed to play that shitful round ball game.

The staging is just absolute rubbish, and he has done it so often, the umpires refuse to pay him free kicks, even when they are actually there.
Fair enough, but as a small forward surely the primary consideration has to be goals kicked and on this alone he should be in. The fact he missed two games makes his achievement better. The staging, while not to my taste, shouldn't impact on his selection. It is not a 'fairest' award.

Partially.

Best year of his career, best small forward in the league and you want to take potshots? Give it a rest, champ.

Best year of his career, best small forward in the league and you want to take potshots? Give it a rest, champ.

Why?

If you think that the persona he has on the field is not taken into account then you are deluded.

Is there anything in there that is untrue?

Great small forward, bleeds Blue and White.

But his staging is a joke.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why?

If you think that the persona he has on the field is not taken into account then you are deluded.

Is there anything in there that is untrue?

Great small forward, bleeds Blue and White.

But his staging is a joke.

It’s not about being right*, it’s about the bizarre fascination that some of our so-called supporters have with criticising our best players.

Your first post only talked about free kicks, staging and the suspension – nothing about kicking 50+ goals, nothing about leading the Coleman, nothing about his first AA nomination, nothing about his sustained period of good form, nothing about anything good that he did throughout this year. Nothing positive at all. It’s good that your second post mentioned he bleeds blue and white - but it only serves to highlight how negative your first post was.

*Incidentally, most opposition supporters say he gets more free kicks than he deserves. The truth is somewhere in the middle, for there is unlikely to have ever been a footballer who only received the free kicks that were there – no more and no less.

If only he didn't stage for free kicks....

If only he didn't have to fight the perception that this is a massive issue.

He does it occasionally, how often does Joel Selwood raise his arm to cause the tackle to slide up?

It is the same thing, one is the captain of the AA side.

If only he didn't have to fight the perception that this is a massive issue.

He does it occasionally, how often does Joel Selwood raise his arm to cause the tackle to slide up?

It is the same thing, one is the captain of the AA side.

Prior to his suspension he was doing fine but after he returned and he was finding it harder to get the ball "old habits returned".
All clubs have players who try and milk an easy free , we have Lynsey. As l said before he's getting better at reducing the amount of time he tries to milk it but changing the way umpires see it will take longer.........

An outstanding year from Lindsay. 53 goals for a small forward is a great return and how he was overlooked for AA is a disgrace to the game. Always puts in 100% for this club. The only blemish of his year was his head butt that saw him cop a couple of weeks. Other than that, great season, Lindsay, you're an All Australian in my eyes.

Now now.

No criticism of North players are allowed here.

If you are not careful you will find yourself benched, next to me.

Who's benched?

It is a less of a real problem and more of a perceived one.

If Dwyane Russell could stop saying "and Thomas played for the free" every time he goes near the ball it might be a start in changing perception.

Don't get me wrong it does happen, but the way people (especially media f***wits like Dwayne) go on about it you would think it was the only way he won the ball.

Two weeks suspension for a headbutt. 53 goals, 23 behinds for year. Pre suspension 39 goals, 16 behinds in 14 games - on track for the AA, 8 bags of 3 goals or more, 6 bounces and 9 goal assists

After suspension 14 goals, 7 behinds in 7 games, 1 bag of 6 goals against Carlton, 1 bounce, 5 goal assists.

Last 6 games, 8 goals 6 behinds, 4 contested possessions.

No All Australian

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #12: Lindsay Thomas - released by NM to pursue rookie list spot at PA - thx4 everything Lindsay

Remove this Banner Ad

Back