AFL Player #12: Will Setterfield

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm afraid this deal, more than anything, exemplifies the blinkers certain people in our football department have. This is the fourth time we have tried to get Setterfield (if you count serious consideration with pick 1 in 2016).

Admittedly, I would have welcomed him when he left GWS and was even open to it last year. Now, it just feels like we have no ideas.

Still, none of that is Setterfield's fault, though perhaps he could have put us out of our misery in 2018.

He's a rounded player without ever having shown at AFL level that he is the bull that we'd hope he is at 192cm. Who knows, maybe he has been kept light to play wing over the last few years. I quite liked what I saw of him in 2020.

I'd like him as part of 3 mids brought on to the list. He is probably not the 1 I would pin my hopes to. Hope I'm wrong.

Last edited:
I'm afraid this deal, more than anything, exemplifies the blinkers certain people in our football department have. This is the fourth time we have tried to get Setterfield (if you count serious consideration with pick 1 in 2016).

Admittedly, I would have welcomed him when he left GWS and was even open to it last year. Now, it just feel like we have no ideas.

Still, none of that is Setterfield's fault, though perhaps he could have put us out of our misery in 2018.

He's a rounded player without ever having shown at AFL level that he is the bull that we'd hope he is at 192cm. Who knows, maybe he has been kept light to play wing over the last few years. I quite liked what I saw of him in 2020.

I'd like him as part of 3 mids brought on to the list. He is probably not the 1 I would pin my hopes to. Hope I'm wrong.
Though we got him for nothing and at worst will be depth & bolster VFL, at best, who knows?

Worth a shot IMO. and his last chance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can’t even lie this trade is one of my favourites in recent times. Fills a need we’ve desperately needed for 6 years now, hopefully he will allow Merrett, Shiel, Caldwell, Parish to be more free. Keeps stringer in the forward line, so that’s a nightmare of a match-up. Most Carlton fans are disappointed, which gives me strength, my life’s desire, enrichment, power. Will never need salt ever again, will be feasting on those Carlton tears.

If he is going to make it, I think he needs to beef himself up to 90-92kgs (87kgs currently).

Carlton slimmed him down to play on the wing. We have plenty of guys to play on the outside, what we are missing is a beef cake that can carve out space for himself or the teammate behind him to win the ball in tight.

That's his go, and his point of difference to get a game next year.

If he is going to make it, I think he needs to beef himself up to 90-92kgs (87kgs currently).

Carlton slimmed him down to play on the wing. We have plenty of guys to play on the outside, what we are missing is a beef cake that can carve out space for himself or the teammate behind him to win the ball in tight.

That's his go, and his point of difference to get a game next year.
Even at 87kg, when he played inside for Carlton in round 22 & 23, he played incredible. Imagine if he does beef up to say 91/92/93 kg, we have a serious player on our hands.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #12: Will Setterfield

Remove this Banner Ad

Back