AFL Player #12: Will Setterfield

Remove this Banner Ad

You just play them all, they all fit but he does what none of the other ones do which is naturally defend and impact without having to be the primary hit to or give to player. A seamless fit.

Can completely understand him not being able to crack Carlton’s midfield but with us there’s an argument to be made that he’s even beyond Merrett in terms of filling a role others can’t.
A balanced team doesn't have all of Merrett, Durham, Caldwell, Setterfield, Tsatas, Parish, Shiel and Hobbs in it. This is one of the main issues concerning our list. Setterfield is best for balance in any 5 or 6 player combination you make out of those 8. There's a few that stand out as being able to gain us draft collateral to fix other areas of the ground and re-balance the side.

A balanced team doesn't have all of Merrett, Durham, Caldwell, Setterfield, Tsatas, Parish, Shiel and Hobbs in it. This is one of the main issues concerning our list. Setterfield is best for balance in any 5 or 6 player combination you make out of those 8. There's a few that stand out as being able to gain us draft collateral to fix other areas of the ground and re-balance the side.

Merrett could start at half forward or half back and push in, Caldwell at half forward was when we looked best this year, Durham can rotate in off the wing and still be effective.

Start Setterfield as the defensive pivot with two of Shiel, Parish, Tsatas and Hobbs and the other two are your mid rotations off the bench, spread the load and have multiple waves.

He did not get back in because Caldwell and Durham took over. Compared to them he has a limited outside game.
Ive said it before but I was deadset on him being an integral part of the midfield at start of year and was waiting for him to come back, but I reckon I could pinpoint the moment in the blues game where you knew he would struggle to make it back into the 1s. He was already a bit behind the pace and then he copped another knock to knee and looked like he was a 35 yo, they subbed him shortly after before even checking how serious the injury was.
He is a good player but unfortunately too many injuries to the legs mean he cant keep up with the pace of modern day footy.
Sounds like he is likely to get another year though, according to reports from McFarlane in the Sun, he is a good depth player if he can stay fit.

Merrett could start at half forward or half back and push in, Caldwell at half forward was when we looked best this year, Durham can rotate in off the wing and still be effective.

Start Setterfield as the defensive pivot with two of Shiel, Parish, Tsatas and Hobbs and the other two are your mid rotations off the bench, spread the load and have multiple waves.
Looks like we may retain him 🤞. Agree Merrett and Durham are versatile and Caldwell is decent at half forward. I still think 6 max is the sweet spot out of the 8 players i mentioned.

Looks like we may retain him 🤞. Agree Merrett and Durham are versatile and Caldwell is decent at half forward. I still think 6 max is the sweet spot out of the 8 players i mentioned.

Assuming they are all fit and available that is a midfield bursting at the seams maybe with one too many but in the absence of really strong goal kicking half forwards you just stack the side with mids and try to overwhelm oppositions like Collingwood and the Dogs have done for the better part of the last decade. And you leverage the positional versatility of your Durham types to stack the side with more midfield rotations.

Assuming they are all fit and available that is a midfield bursting at the seams maybe with one too many but in the absence of really strong goal kicking half forwards you just stack the side with mids and try to overwhelm oppositions like Collingwood and the Dogs have done for the better part of the last decade. And you leverage the positional versatility of your Durham types to stack the side with more midfield rotations.
B McGrath McKay Ridley
HB Redman Reid Roberts
C Duursma Setterfield Martin
HF Langford Caddy Merrett
F Kako Wright A Davey
R Bryan Caldwell Shiel
INT Draper Durham Tsatas El Hawli
SUB Guelfi

Feels like a fairly balanced side with what we have before the trade period.

Where would put Hobbs and Parish into this side/ what would you change?

B McGrath McKay Ridley
HB Redman Reid Roberts
C Duursma Setterfield Martin
HF Langford Caddy Merrett
F Kako Wright A Davey
R Bryan Caldwell Shiel
INT Draper Durham Tsatas El Hawli
SUB Guelfi

Feels like a fairly balanced side with what we have before the trade period.

Where would put Hobbs and Parish into this side/ what would you change?
That’s a pretty slow midfield. Need someone with leg speed to burst through the midfield at least in patches.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #12: Will Setterfield

Remove this Banner Ad

Back