AFL Player #12: Will Setterfield

Remove this Banner Ad

This is eating you up huh.. lol
Not really. Just making a joke about it and being a bit of a smart ass. I understood what Footyguru was saying. I just did not agree totally with the observation of how Setterfield was being used. Same as anything in this game. There are various views that come from it watching it.:)

Last edited:

If he played last night, we may have won since Rowell wouldn't find things as easy with a BIG BODY helping our mids..

Anyway, I'm suspecting his papers might be stamped since he has a good VFL run and can't get in when he should have played.

Didn't play VFL so if injured, he's gone. Regardless Will could be gone.

If he played last night, we may have won since Rowell wouldn't find things as easy with a BIG BODY helping our mids..

Anyway, I'm suspecting his papers might be stamped since he has a good VFL run and can't get in when he should have played.

Still baffled as to what’s happened here.

If he played last night, we probably would have looked even worse on the transition. Rowell would have killed him around the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he played last night, we probably would have looked even worse on the transition. Rowell would have killed him around the ground.

Rowell has never killed anyone around the ground, he doesn’t even almost have an outside game.

Setterfield sits on him all night and we win, plain and simple. It also would have freed up Caldwell to go and hunt the ball like he normally does as well.

Selection error.

Rowell has never killed anyone around the ground, he doesn’t even almost have an outside game.

Setterfield sits on him all night and we win, plain and simple. It also would have freed up Caldwell to go and hunt the ball like he normally does as well.

Selection error.
Yeah I don't see it. Setterfield can body check him at bounces but Rowell has way too quick of a break for Setterfield to keep up otherwise. We won the centre clearances when we were set up for Rowell and Anderson and got smashed around the ground because we have no idea how to stand at a contest that's not a centre bounce

Yeah I don't see it. Setterfield can body check him at bounces but Rowell has way too quick of a break for Setterfield to keep up otherwise. We won the centre clearances when we were set up for Rowell and Anderson and got smashed around the ground because we have no idea how to stand at a contest that's not a centre bounce

Rowell is not doing anything in transition or away from the contest. He actually had the ball in his hands in one stage breaking into space and almost fell over because he didn’t know what to do with it.

You wouldn’t send Setterfield to tag anyone quick or outside leaning like Warner or Butters for example, but this was absolutely tailor made for him, almost couldn’t ask for a more ideal match up.

Rowell is not doing anything in transition or away from the contest. He actually had the ball in his hands in one stage breaking into space and almost fell over because he didn’t know what to do with it.

You wouldn’t send Setterfield to tag anyone quick or outside leaning like Warner or Butters for example, but this was absolutely tailor made for him, almost couldn’t ask for a more ideal match up.
Might have to agree to disagree on this one because I think Rowell is a lot quicker on the burst than what Setterfield is capable of minding, let alone having a match winning influence on.

I would be offering him 1 year. We generally are a lot better balanced with him in the side.

The fact he didn't come back in after regaining fitness makes me think he is let go.

I wouldn't have minded if he got another year. They should've picked him this week to go to Brisbane to see if his body could hold up against their midfield. The fact he wasn't picked though suggests his time might be up.

Finishes as our per game leader in contested footy, hard balls, ground balls and tackles off the basis of a blindingly good month of footy but it's apparent the coach doesn't rate him so he's probably out the door isn't he?

I don't think it was a coincidence that we look a miles better footy side with him in it and fit and firing.

Finishes as our per game leader in contested footy, hard balls, ground balls and tackles off the basis of a blindingly good month of footy but it's apparent the coach doesn't rate him so he's probably out the door isn't he?

I don't think it was a coincidence that we look a miles better footy side with him in it and fit and firing.
Seems like it and this will be one i disagree with. Is clearly AFL standard, is not old, and wouldnt be demanding a large salary. Id play him ahead of both Parish and Hobbs at this stage. Much better for the balance. Should get a year with a trigger for a 2nd at least.

When I do my outs for the off season there’s a pretty long list. So I have setters as great depth on a 1 year deal. But I’m guess is we keep Kelly and cut Will.

Seems like it and this will be one i disagree with. Is clearly AFL standard, is not old, and wouldnt be demanding a large salary. Id play him ahead of both Parish and Hobbs at this stage. Much better for the balance. Should get a year with a trigger for a 2nd at least.

You just play them all, they all fit but he does what none of the other ones do which is naturally defend and impact without having to be the primary hit to or give to player. A seamless fit.

Can completely understand him not being able to crack Carlton’s midfield but with us there’s an argument to be made that he’s even beyond Merrett in terms of filling a role others can’t.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #12: Will Setterfield

Remove this Banner Ad

Back