Player Watch #13 Clayton Oliver – UNPRECEDENTED 4x B&F, 3x AA, 2x AFLCA Winner and Premiership Player (formerly)

Remove this Banner Ad

OK, I've removed about three pages of posts.

Please do not use this thread to speculate about Oliver's private life – medical or otherwise.

Regardless of the veracity of your rumour, or what you know/have heard, if it's not public knowledge, just don't post it.

I don't want to turn this place into Demonland, but if you can't see the potential harm that this sort of rumour-spreading can cause (regardless of your intentions), then perhaps it's best if you take a bit of a break.

Thanks.

GC had serious cap issues, we have reported to have had the opposite. I'd blow up the club if they threw away a first round pick purely to free up Olivers cap space.
Yep. The contract is laughable, but giving away a first rounder and paying a chunk of his contract for 6 more years is even more laughable.

Only one of us is blindly idolizing a bloke who let the club and his teammates down and has had 2 poor seasons.

And on what basis has he had a poor season?

This is classic click bait journalism. Any discussion on his form should be based on his best football and simply using facts which on that measure Oliver is actually having a pretty good season. Don't believe me? Go check his rankings on Footywire or wheelorating's where Clarry is ranked ahead of lots of top mids accross mutiple KPI's for mids. As an example his contested possessions and clearance numbers are almost the same as Sam Walsh.

And please spare me with the BS that I don't need stats to tell me what my vibes tell me as per AFL media.

This is classic click bait journalism. Any discussion on his form should be based on his best football and simply using facts which on that measure Oliver is actually having a pretty good season. Don't believe me? Go check his rankings on Footywire or wheelorating's where Clarry is ranked ahead of lots of top mids accross mutiple KPI's for mids. As an example his contested possessions and clearance numbers are almost the same as Sam Walsh.

And please spare me with the BS that I don't need stats to tell me what my vibes tell me as per AFL media.
Without looking at the stats, I'd say the main thing has been his fitness and his competitiveness(or seemingly lack of effort which could be partly related to his fitness). I don't even think it's all his fault. The club shouldn't have played him for the first part of the season until he was at least match fit.

He is one good preseason (and no outside influences) from returning to his best form.
We're 18 weeks into the season and he is having a worse year than when he came out of high school. I don't think the lack of preseason is the problem. He's had more than enough time to get himself fit.

Plenty of players miss preseason because of injury (melksham?) and play decent footy.

That said, he's worthless in a trade so we kinda have to back him in

Edit: ok you answered this lmao he sucks this year.

Also really comes down to whether he want him out or not. If we want him I don't think we'll trade him even with him requesting a trade, if we don't want him I think we'll struggle to get anything
I said it last week. I only think we trade him if it unlocks something else we want.

Mate it's not even worth the moving of my fingers to type a response if you think Oliver's having a pretty good season. 😂

Clayton Oliver and Sam Walsh are the exact same player too. Brilliant analysis can't be topped.

GC had serious cap issues, we have reported to have had the opposite. I'd blow up the club if they threw away a first round pick purely to free up Olivers cap space.
We don't have them now, it also handcuffs up badly for the future in being able to recontract or trade in for anyone of value.
I don't think we're gonna give up a first I think Kane's forgetting we are shit and it'll be a top 10 pick but we might have to give up a future second or something to not pay anything at all.

Lol according to wheelo ratings he's ranked 112th in the competition

rainbow fan GIF

This is what I mean when I say people look far too much at stats these days rather than actually watching the game and forming an opinion from that. Outside the game against the Bulldogs and maybe a pass mark for a 750k a year player vs Brisbane hes been ****ing awful. We are paying him ~ 1.75m per year. Stop measuring him with stats against others on far less money and judge him on the contract hes being paid.

also: Sam Walsh is an inside outside player ffs, not a supposed contested beast like Oliver is being paid as. Compare him to Cripps if youre going to make comparisons.

Tim Lamb is a GREAT negotiator when going against Adelaide as we know. Remember the McAdam trade just last year.

TL: "Give me a first for Oliver"
Crows: "No"
TL: "Awwww but we gave you a second for McAdam last year and hes done nothing"
Crows: "We'll give you this delicious 2025 2nd and you'll pay 1/2 his salary"
TL: "No, we'll pay 49.5% of his salary"
Crows: "ok"
TL: "Swish, another win for TIMMY!!"

Classic Mr Tim “we don’t need to win every trade” Lamb.

Can’t actually remember 1 trade he has won.

This is what I mean when I say people look far too much at stats these days rather than actually watching the game and forming an opinion from that. Outside the game against the Bulldogs and maybe a pass mark for a 750k a year player vs Brisbane hes been ****ing awful. We are paying him ~ 1.75m per year. Stop measuring him with stats against others on far less money and judge him on the contract hes being paid.

also: Sam Walsh is an inside outside player ffs, not a supposed contested beast like Oliver is being paid as. Compare him to Cripps if youre going to make comparisons.

Oliver copping an absolute pasting according to the all mighty wheelo ratings Jibroni

Screenshot_20240722_074127_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20240722_074132_Chrome.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oliver copping an absolute pasting according to the all mighty wheelo ratings Jibroni

View attachment 2056207View attachment 2056208

Just to flag, Clarry is currently:

• 4th at the club for tackles (total and average per game)
  • Leading the club for disposals (both)
  • 7th for total effective kicks (the top 5 are all defenders who always take safe options so lead this stat, 6th is Langdon)
  • Leading for total contested possessions (2nd behind Gawn in average)
  • Leading for total possessions.
  • 2nd for turnovers (unsurprising because of how many possessions he's had, but he is second behind Viney here).
  • Streets ahead in first for ground ball gets.
  • 2nd for centre clearances, 3rd for stoppage clearances.
  • 4th for pressure acts.

And he's done that while averaging 77.7% tog which is 18th at the club. Hence if can improve his fitness this will improve to that of a 4 time B & F winner. His output thus far and even the fact he's on the park.

All the talk of trading Clarry is simply embarrassing. In the top 5 Demons of all time and could have had a Brownlow if not for Gawn and or Petracca. Given the tumultuous off season he had I'm amazed and had to take more heat with the absence of Brayshaw and Petracca. To consider trading him is disrespectful.

• 7th for total effective kicks (the top 5 are all defenders who always take safe options so lead this stat, 6th is Langdon)
  • 2nd for turnovers (unsurprising because of how many possessions he's had, but he is second behind Viney here).
  • 4th for pressure acts.

And he's done that while averaging 77.7% tog which is 18th at the club. Hence if can improve his fitness this will improve to that of a 4 time B & F winner.
moving-goalposts-goalposts (1).gif

Next level nuffing

• 4th for pressure acts.
1.75m gets you something you should be paying 600k for. Build him a statue outside the G.

1.75m gets you something you should be paying 600k for. Build him a statue outside the G.
Woah Woah, he's cherry picked some very specific and no influential stats to show that Olivers a decidedly average player. Underpaid if anything

Woah Woah, he's cherry picked some very specific and no influential stats to show that Olivers a decidedly average player. Underpaid if anything
Handy that someone being paid in the same ballpark like Trac has missed so many games and can push Oliver's totals higher.

Handy that someone being paid in the same ballpark like Trac has missed so many games and can push Oliver's totals higher.
Here's a fun game. Guess which one of our mids ( on the right is in this comparison to Oliver )

Beating him in contested disposals, clearances, kicking efficiency, goals and score involvements

Screenshot_20240722_081029_Chrome~2.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #13 Clayton Oliver – UNPRECEDENTED 4x B&F, 3x AA, 2x AFLCA Winner and Premiership Player (formerly)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back