Player Watch #13 Clayton Oliver – UNPRECEDENTED 4x B&F, 3x AA, 2x AFLCA Winner and Premiership Player (formerly)

Remove this Banner Ad

OK, I've removed about three pages of posts.

Please do not use this thread to speculate about Oliver's private life – medical or otherwise.

Regardless of the veracity of your rumour, or what you know/have heard, if it's not public knowledge, just don't post it.

I don't want to turn this place into Demonland, but if you can't see the potential harm that this sort of rumour-spreading can cause (regardless of your intentions), then perhaps it's best if you take a bit of a break.

Thanks.

I've given Petracca plenty of s**t for his awkward media performances but he came off very genuine and mature here.
It’s good stuff. Trac isn’t the world’s best actor, so I would say he meant it

The typo "but says the dees superstar has rebuild it on his way back to the AFL side" Irritates me so much more than it should. I blame our club's media department for this unhealthy fixation

The emphasis on ‘appalling’ behaviour is interesting.

What the hell did he do??
Maybe I made this up in my head but wasn't it to do with showing up late or missing sessions and being generally rude to staff? There was the vision of arguing with Selwyn but maybe it was a bit more widespread

Maybe I made this up in my head but wasn't it to do with showing up late or missing sessions and being generally rude to staff? There was the vision of arguing with Selwyn but maybe it was a bit more widespread

Pure speculation but what I think happened is last year when it all came out they laid down the law to him and he still kept playing up. Nothing super crazy but he missed that pre Xmas camp and Gawn even says he’s lied to me in the past, so it probably took the club two tries to make it actually sink in.

Last edited:
Yeh he definitely missed some sessions and/or arrived late at the camp but would you emphasise ’appalling’ for that?

He cracked the sh1ts when they were holding him back from playing with his hammy last year but in isolation I didn’t think that was ‘appalling’ either.

I know he was going out when he shouldn’t have been and didn’t have the healthiest lifestyle either, but again - why all this talk of ‘trust’ etc.

They are making it sound like he ripped people off or stole from them or something.

Yeh he definitely missed some sessions and/or arrived late at the camp but would you emphasise ’appalling’ for that?

He cracked the sh1ts when they were holding him back from playing with his hammy last year but in isolation I didn’t think that was ‘appalling’ either.

I know he was going out when he shouldn’t have been and didn’t have the healthiest lifestyle either, but again - why all this talk of ‘trust’ etc.

They are making it sound like he ripped people off or stole from them or something.
It's caro. Could easily be all the above and she sensationalized it. She's gutter like that
I'd say he didn't respect the staff and his teammates. They're all in for a flag and he decided to do his own thing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought he was great in the second half in particular, didnt try to do too much, couple of standard bombs but also a couple of smart possessions inside 50, once after he won the hardball and handballed to ANB for the dribble goal and the easy pass to JVR at the end. Thats all I need, dont need hero highlight reel plays, just take the easy and obvious options and let others finish.

Thought he was great in the second half in particular, didnt try too much, couple of standard bombs but also a couple of smart possessions inside 50, once after he won the hardball and handballed to ANB for the dribble goal and the easy pass to JVR at the end. Thats all I need, dont need hero highlight reel plays, just take the easy and obvious options and let others finish.

'IF' and its a big 'IF' we can have guys like Windsor/Salem/Billings around him he doesn't need to dominate, just needs to feed those guys.

The pass to JVR was a clear act of unselfishness and like you said in the GDT that is the stuff that will get him back onside with his teammates.

Thought he was great in the second half in particular, didnt try to do too much, couple of standard bombs but also a couple of smart possessions inside 50, once after he won the hardball and handballed to ANB for the dribble goal and the easy pass to JVR at the end. Thats all I need, dont need hero highlight reel plays, just take the easy and obvious options and let others finish.
Sometimes the easy options, to handball to a teammate in some space, aren’t all that easy. Clayton’s big thing is that he makes it look easy. Brereton used to always draw attention to this gift.

Over time, I reckon the criticism he got for over handballing and not bringing the agressive kick forward into his game were misguided. He’s always been best at getting the ball out and to a colleague who is less likely to just send the thing spiraling into the Sun.

He should be allowed to play to his strengths now.

Sometimes the easy options, to handball to a teammate in some space, aren’t all that easy. Clayton’s big thing is that he makes it look easy. Brereton used to always draw attention to this gift.

Over time, I reckon the criticism he got for over handballing and not bringing the agressive kick forward into his game were misguided. He’s always been best at getting the ball out and to a colleague who is less likely to just send the thing spiraling into the Sun.

He should be allowed to play to his strengths now.
Nothing wrong with playing like Greg Williams. He was the master of maximising what he did well and knowing his strengths and weaknesses.

Best on ground is a stretch given what May and Gawn served up. But he was definitely streets ahead of last week.

BOG for mine, and already in a couple of match reports. May and Gawn were great too, but Clarry's clearance work out of traffic, both by hand and foot, was the game breaker today IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #13 Clayton Oliver – UNPRECEDENTED 4x B&F, 3x AA, 2x AFLCA Winner and Premiership Player (formerly)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back