Past #14: Gavin Urquhart - delisted at end 11 season, re-listed as rookie, re-de-listed at end '12 season

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Urqsters kicking.......

I think he'll be all right. I reckon he's a pretty smart footballer and sometimes suffers from a common malaise of smart people - they think they're smarter than everyone else. Urqs tends to be a bit too cute at times and doesn't have the experience to pull it off at times, as said, I think he'll get more consistent with time. Maybe Harvey can teach him how to fake almost every time around the 50m line and get away with it nine times out of ten.

You and all other people who have had brain trauma post 2008 season.

He is in a hole, things aren't working right at the moment. The life blood has been sucked out of the club in the opening 12 rounds and he is one player who needs to time to get back the mojo. It is his second year of senior footy and and it isn't uncommon to have lapses during this time. More time in the middle moving forward and the assistance of Anthony, Harvey and Campbell in the ball useage stakes will ease the pressure on him.

Otherwise, he is an outstanding kick that is still learning the art of timing and the fact he doesn't need to hit a chest at 50 metres every pass.

I'm sorry, I must have misunderstood, but did you say putting him into the midfield would take the pressure off? Interesting logic.

I can't understand this urgency to play everyone with the slightest amount of skill in the middle. Forget the fact that they have absolutely no capability to win the ball at stoppages. Or that you don't necessarily get the chance to use your hand and foot skills when you're being crunched by several opponents.

I'm sorry, I must have misunderstood, but did you say putting him into the midfield would take the pressure off? Interesting logic.

I can't understand this urgency to play everyone with the slightest amount of skill in the middle. Forget the fact that they have absolutely no capability to win the ball at stoppages. Or that you don't necessarily get the chance to use your hand and foot skills when you're being crunched by several opponents.
Going the opposite of Laidley would be a start for the midfield then adding the others as required.

wells or harvey is the best kick at the club dont know why urquhart is called the best kick at the club

Take it up with Arch. And Simpson. And Wells.

Think McMahon is in our best two kicks. This has something to do with confidence and also having great vision a very adept football mind. Harvey is as good as any over 30-40 metres. I think that both Wells and McMahon are truly elite over 40-50 metres with Wells having that little bit extra penetration.

Wells is the best kick when you combine his execution with his vision, but I saw Urquhart kick a ball at a VFL game that I doubt Wellsy could replicate.

Urquhart is an awesome kick, just has to get his midfield mind right. It will happen.

Going the opposite of Laidley would be a start for the midfield then adding the others as required.
He's gone mate, let it go.

Is somewhat a name that seems to be forgotten a bit these days when there is discussion about possible midfield rotations etc.
At the end of 2008, there was high hopes for this season. But a combination of second year blues and being thrown around to a variety of positions saw him eventually dropped.
Hes 182cm, quick and highly skilled which on paper is exactly the sort of player we would need in our midfield.
Just interested to hear peoples opinions of where the boys is at.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree most definetly forgotten about. His first year was promising however in 09 he struggled to play consistant footy.

His big frame toegther with his booming left foot would be a handy inclusion into the midfield and now with Rawlings in the backline a spot becomes available for him.

Played a couple of his best games earlier in the year when the rest of the side was struggling or out injured. So we know he has it in him to stand up when needed. Just faded towards the end of the year, looked a bit (mentally) tired IMO, a bit lazy, taking too many players on etc. Hopefully with Scott's success working with Collingwood's midfield he can get the best out of Gav because he definitely has the talent. He's in the 30-40 games bracket so hopefully in 2010 he can be a consistent player for us.

I'm expecting big things from Urqs in 2010. If he can better control his kicking delivery the guy could be a real weapon for us going forward. He seemed to stutter his way through 2009, but has shown he's capable of so much more.

Gav needs to work on his awareness with ball in hand. He acts like a headless chook at times and inevitably turns the ball over. This will come with experience and confidence. He has all the tools to be a top class player, quick, aggressive and damaging by foot. He has a bit of Nathan Eagleton about him but with more physical presance.

Gav needs to work on his awareness with ball in hand. He acts like a headless chook at times and inevitably turns the ball over. This will come with experience and confidence. He has all the tools to be a top class player, quick, aggressive and damaging by foot. He has a bit of Nathan Eagleton about him but with more physical presance.

If the club sees any eagleton in him they should quickly delist him. Id say he's more of a hard running, bursting through the pack type midfielder (similar to turtle). Has a lot more ability than eagleton too

If the club sees any eagleton in him they should quickly delist him. Id say he's more of a hard running, bursting through the pack type midfielder (similar to turtle). Has a lot more ability than eagleton too

Lets leave bias out of this. Eagleton is an excellent user of the ball and troubles teams with his pace and ball use. If we are to be realistic at this stage Gav has not shown that he is a better player than Eagleton. Showing flashes of ability does not equate to being a very good player.

If we can get 250+ AFL games from Gav with him getting 20+ touches a game then I will be really happy. Eagleton has done this. And I too reckon that Gav has the ability to do it better. He is about the same height as Eagleton but has a bigger frame (or is it cos his head is so small?) so will be able to impart more physical pressure one he has developed fully.

I dont know why but i cant get the words "Gavin Workhorse" out of my head.

A few more of his trademark rundowns from behind would go down well. That effort from 2008 was sensational! More of the same please Gav :thumbsu:

Some interesting thoughts.

Im a huge wrap for this guy dont get me wrong, apart from Wells and Maybe Wright we dont have a player like this in the squad at the minute, so he is very valuable.

He seems to lack something, while he is explosive he doesnt seem overly fit for someone who looks incredibly fit (if that makes sense) and tends to fall out of the game for long periods.

Where has he been postioned in the 3km time trials and the undurance testing stuff over the pre-season?

Yeah I question his work rate a bit too. He also has trouble disposing of the ball effectively when under pressure. Hopefully he can fix these problems this year and have a good one 3rd year in like Swallow.

I don't think this is his 3rd year coming up, but rather the fourth year. His first year was spent catching up via vfl reserves because of injury etc iirc.
2nd year him and Riggio were giving us much optimism and then him having well and truly taken over Riggio by years end.
This year he didn't look as excited and composed, and it did look like he was trying too many things. At times, it seems like he sees an option but then wants to wait a split second more for a better option to enable him to do something special, but it just never worked out like that properly. Thus, his confidence and motivation not being as high anymore, sort of just went through the year with the motions and under the radar.

Let's hope last year was a learning curve so as not to have been a complete waste.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #14: Gavin Urquhart - delisted at end 11 season, re-listed as rookie, re-de-listed at end '12 season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back