Past #14: Gavin Urquhart - delisted at end 11 season, re-listed as rookie, re-de-listed at end '12 season

Remove this Banner Ad

Urquhart is streets ahead of Adams, in terms of runs on the board and potential.

Streets? Rubbish.

Adams is far better credentialed and more importantly he kicks goals.

Debatable on him being behind Greenwood, Spud and Pratt (if he replicates 09) too.

No debate whatsoever.

Greenwood has done more in 3 games than Urquart has done in 30 odd games.

Firrito is more flexible in defence and a better kick.

There is no doubt Pratty is a better player when fit and firing.

Brady can do a better job than Gavin locking down small defenders and he gets twice as many possessions.

I rate Gav a chance for a spot on the bench at the moment. If Gibson and a fit Jesse Smith were still at the club then Urquart would really be struggling to make the senior line up. IMO, he needs to go in to the midfield, break the lines and kick some goals. I am confident he can eventually do that, although it may take some time.

Streets? Rubbish.

Adams is far better credentialed and more importantly he kicks goals.

No debate whatsoever.

Greenwood has done more in 3 games than Urquart has done in 30 odd games.

Firrito is more flexible in defence and a better kick.

There is no doubt Pratty is a better player when fit and firing.

Brady can do a better job than Gavin locking down small defenders and he gets twice as many possessions.

I rate Gav a chance for a spot on the bench at the moment. If Gibson and a fit Jesse Smith were still at the club then Urquart would really be struggling to make the senior line up. IMO, he needs to go in to the midfield, break the lines and kick some goals. I am confident he can eventually do that, although it may take some time.

Your having a laugh. Urquhart must of played at least 10 games of very good senior footy, levi 3. Not to mention who cares if rawlings gets the ball. Gav's 10 possessions are better than rawlings getting 35 touches

Urquhart is highways ahead of Adams. Not Patch's fault as he has missed a lot of footy due to injury, but he hasn't really produced anything of substance yet. Gav has had some very good games of footy.

Greenwood likewise. He did a great job curtailing an injured Judd, but Gav has produced some good footy whilst shutting down blokes off a back flank as well.

Firrito is in decline, that is why I mentioned him. He has a bazillion more runs on the board though, I agree.

Pratt is better no doubt, I am a huge fan of his. However, have we seen the best of him? Another year like 2009 for him and Urqs will be motorways ahead of him.

You're having a laugh. Urquhart must have played at least 10 games of very good senior footy, Levi 3. Not to mention, who cares if Rawlings gets the ball? Gav's 10 possessions are better than Rawlings getting 35 touches.

Urquart has shut down Cyril Rioli.

Greenwood has shut down Judd, Dal Santo and Bruce, in half as many games.

If you can't see the difference in that, then there's not much more I can do to help you.

Rawlings poor disposal is grossly distorted on this board. He normally hits a target, which is all he's supposed to do.

Similiarly, Urquarts disposal is grossly overrated on this board.

Urquhart is highways ahead of Adams. Not Patch's fault as he has missed a lot of footy due to injury, but he hasn't really produced anything of substance yet. Gav has had some very good games of footy.

Realistically, they are different types of players. Urquart isn't going to keep Adams out of the team and vice versa.

Greenwood likewise. He did a great job curtailing an injured Judd, but Gav has produced some good footy whilst shutting down blokes off a back flank as well.

Sorry YOTR, you're just plain wrong on this count. See above.

Firrito is in decline, that is why I mentioned him. He has a bazillion more runs on the board though, I agree.

I wouldn't state that Spud was in decline it's just that the team is starting to go past him. Unfortunately, the bloke has been used as a general dogs body throughout his career and has never settled in one spot. I think he deserves a prolonged crack at nailing down a back pocket/half back flank.

Pratt is better no doubt, I am a huge fan of his. However, have we seen the best of him?

I don't think so. My instincts tell me that Laidley was counterproductive to Daniel showing his absolute best. Now, it all depends on how fit he can get.

Another year like 2009 for him and Urqs will be motorways ahead of him.

If both players have a repeat of 2009, then neither will be in the team by years end.

Urquhart is streets ahead of Adams, in terms of runs on the board and potential. Debatable on him being behind Greenwood, Spud and Pratt (if he replicates 09) too.

On "exposed" sustained performance, I would have Gav ahead of Fanta pants but not even on the same lap as Levi, Spud and Pratty. We've all seen the highlights reel, we know what he can do in glimpses. Hopefully he will be let off the leash, and not forced singularly into that "accountable" castration style instigated by Rock and Laids.

Pratt is better no doubt, I am a huge fan of his. However, have we seen the best of him? Another year like 2009 for him and Urqs will be motorways ahead of him.

And if they both have another 2009, I don't much like the chances either will be on an AFL list in 2011.

If both players have a repeat of 2009, then neither will be in the team by years end.

Looks like I'm starting to channel Wally. (scared face thingy)

Gavs needs to improve endurance.
His ball usage overall is good.What compounds delivery is poor forward leads/options (not a functional forward line 2009)always under pressure in which caused most of his turnovers with no other options, other thanto kick to a 50/50
Struggles weighting kicks over 25-35.needs to work on that.
Cannot remember anyone kicking 2 or more goals or toweling him up as a defender.
Sometimes wonder what the coaches instuctions are which also impacts on player preformance.
Was constructive when used through middle in early part or year and collingwood game was outstanding.
Gav will need to pull his finger out to maintain his spot but certinaly if he gets it together will be a valuable asset in 2010.
/

Gavs needs to improve endurance.
His ball usage overall is good.What compounds delivery is poor forward leads/options (not a functional forward line 2009)always under pressure in which caused most of his turnovers with no other options, other thanto kick to a 50/50
Struggles weighting kicks over 25-35.needs to work on that.
Cannot remember anyone kicking 2 or more goals or toweling him up as a defender.
Sometimes wonder what the coaches instuctions are which also impacts on player preformance.
Was constructive when used through middle in early part or year and collingwood game was outstanding.
Gav will need to pull his finger out to maintain his spot but certinaly if he gets it together will be a valuable asset in 2010.
/

Exactly - if first instruction to a 20/21 year old is stop your opponent, especially when the ball is coming down so often, then it's inevitable that creativity and flair is going to be curtailed. Set him loose and if becomes a gun, we benefit, if he stagnates or fails, so be it. At the moment, it's all in front of him, nothing is certain.

Urquart has shut down Cyril Rioli.

Greenwood has shut down Judd, Dal Santo and Bruce, in half as many games.

If you can't see the difference in that, then there's not much more I can do to help you.

Rawlings poor disposal is grossly distorted on this board. He normally hits a target, which is all he's supposed to do.

I understand he has shut down some quality footballers but, as you said below relating adams and urq's, they are different types of players. Urquhart all round has shown more than greenwood. Maybe he can't shut down a Judd but he sure does provide a hell of a lot more offensively than levi has. All i was trying to say is that Urquharts 10 or so good games > Levi's 3 games as urquhart damages his opponent the other way also

As has been said, good in '08 when he played mainly in deep defence, not so good in '09.

If Brady is pushed back into defence, as has been suggested, Gav may have to become a senior midfielder in order to get a game.

He may need to play well there for North Ballarat before he gets a promotion.

FWIW, I reckon he's behind Turtle as a versatile senior footballer and behind Levi as a 'run with' onballer.

I thought he started pretty well in 2009 and lost his way a bit near the end. He needs to be in the midfield from here on in, no more half back flank.

2009 was a good consolidation year for him. Showed he can find it, but needs to find more time, get fitter, be more decisive and use his burst of pace to better effect.

He is a massive part of our future midfield - and I agree he has been largely forgotten.

He actually had an average start, then started to come good rounds 5-6, then missed a week with an injury, then when he came back into the side, he just seemed to have lost the plot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with both of these points. Rawlings has always been reasonably effective with his disposal while Urquhart turns it over regularly, especially when tackled or under pressure.

Urquhart is a better talent than Adams. Pretty comfortably IMO. Adams showed some very good signs during the last month of the season averaging 17 disposals and a goal a game. It was only 4 games though.

On Greenwood, Urquhart has played better footy and is more talented as an allround package, but Greenwood's late form will definitely see him start the season in the firsts. His form late in the season was easily better than Adams. His job was 3 times important and this gives him the advantage.

I think Greenwood is a cert to get a game, Adams and Urquhart have to prove themselves and perform over the pre-season.

I'd Like to see Urquhart playing an Eagleton style role on the wing.
Give him a lot of space to run and use the ball, in lower pressure situations.
Plus by doing this it can add a goal kicking side to his game. I think the reason he hasn't been kicking goals is because the coaches have put him in defense in negative roles. So he hasn't lived up to potential.

Generally the idea of a backman is to stop goals rather than kick them and when you do play in defence your main job is to stop your opponent from getting the ball.

I remember reading something like that in a book called "Football the Australian Way" which is a title every kid had back in the 70s. It's possible that things have changed a little since the 70s. As an example, Andrew McLeod plays in the backline - what is his main job?

So you have a problem with a coach telling a defender with 10 games experience that his no.1 priority should be to shut down his man?

What did you think of Levi's work when as a defensive midfielder he had seven possessions in 2 1/2 quarters against Carlton?

I have slightly less of an issue per se, with the coach issuing these instructions to an inexperienced player (if that's the case), but from the point of view of expectation upon Gav, it is apparent to most that he simply wasn't hurting the opposition enough going the other way. He got bumped from the side regardless of how few goals were kicked against him which perhaps indicates that the match committee also thought he needed to do more when we have the ball. If his main role for the rest of his career is to just stop opponents kicking goals, it will be a disappointing career based on his potential and his skills.

Regarding Levi, it was an entirely different task assigned him - shutting down the best player in the league in your 3rd or 4th game of AFL football. However, when he has played as many games as Gav, I will also expect him to be setting his sites on the Cameron Ling style of stopping an opponent whilst being an offensive weapon.

Gav should be played on the wing instead of defense to get his natural running game going.

I'm sure that's where any coach would prefer to play him, but the reasons he doesn't is that it requires more sustained running efforts and more consistent involvement in contests and unrewarded running. As it stands, he plays burst footy in defence and looks rooted after a few of these contests. He simply needs to get himself a bigger engine, work harder off the footy and run to create, provide and option in space and get in some space to run forward. That he hasn't kicked an AFL goal sums up his lack of genuine run so far I reckon.

Bit of mongrel, increased intencity and effort, and he's there.

I remember reading something like that in a book called "Football the Australian Way" which is a title every kid had back in the 70s. It's possible that things have changed a little since the 70s. As an example, Andrew McLeod plays in the backline - what is his main job?

Well they certainly didn't change between the 70's, 80's and 90's.

What's Ben Rutten's?

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #14: Gavin Urquhart - delisted at end 11 season, re-listed as rookie, re-de-listed at end '12 season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back