Past #14: Gavin Urquhart - delisted at end 11 season, re-listed as rookie, re-de-listed at end '12 season

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: I'm sorry but Urquart is not a good kick

The first was bullshit because he had two blokes standing by themselves. Reall y disappointed in that effort.

He had to go for that goal. That's what we've been crying out for Wells to do for years. This sort of stuff is what our next 9 weeks should be all about.

He is a very good kick.
He isnt mate. Training doesnt count. For all the hype he is a poor kick under match conditions.

He isnt mate. Training doesnt count. He is a poor kick under match conditions.

At the moment he is. Last year he was outstanding by foot, but his indecision and general lack of confidence has hurt him since the Port game.

He'll be right.

Funkyzeit got in early.

How many running in to the open goal kicks did he squib today?

2?

The second one didnt even score.

It wasnt a matter of decision making and game plan. It was not being able to execute a kick he should be nailing.

Now Giansirucusa and Eagleton may be skunks who wouldnt put their head over the ball or go in for a contest to save themselves, but they'd never squib 2 of those kicks.

:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu: cooney too

At the moment he is. Last year he was outstanding by foot, but his indecision and general lack of confidence has hurt him since the Port game.

He'll be right.
I hope so NB.

I hope that may be part of his problem with the confidence. If his best asset isnt working then its only natural you would have some doubts.

He had to go for that goal. That's what we've been crying out for Wells to do for years. This sort of stuff is what our next 9 weeks should be all about.

I agree about the Wells comment, but just not sure if it was one of those situations. I'm all for these guys taking the game on, but when you can draw a player and give off to one of two options who would then be able to run right in, or have a shot from around 50, I would prefer the give off and an almost certain goal.

Maybe Urquart is just out of form, but one of his biggest problems at the moment is it seems he thinks he is a great kick. And while he isn't delivering, it is hurting...

He's just pretty low on confidence I'd say at the moment.
He seems a little unsure of what to do when he gets the ball and this causes him to hesitate. He complicates things to much instead of keeping it simple.
All he should be thinking when he gets the ball is either go long to Hale or Petrie or drill a pass into Jones or Edwards ect..

He's going through a bad patch at the moment but if we can keep playing like we did today then I think he will work his way through it.
Once he regains his confidence I think we'll see him hitting Hale lace out and hopefully nailing a few from outside 50 as well.

I think his main problem with those 2 shots at goal was that he was still running flat out when he kicked it. He needs to slow down and steady himself before kicking.

Thought he kept running today, something he hasn't been doing much of late but his ball use in general whether it was by hand or foot was poor.

I really hope he can work though whatever is causing him to have these problems.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: Urqsters kicking.......

You and all other people who have had brain trauma post 2008 season.

He is in a hole, things aren't working right at the moment. The life blood has been sucked out of the club in the opening 12 rounds and he is one player who needs to time to get back the mojo. It is his second year of senior footy and and it isn't uncommon to have lapses during this time. More time in the middle moving forward and the assistance of Anthony, Harvey and Campbell in the ball useage stakes will ease the pressure on him.

Otherwise, he is an outstanding kick that is still learning the art of timing and the fact he doesn't need to hit a chest at 50 metres every pass.

Agree Moti.

He's had a few poor disposals at top speed and needs to work on that, however it looks to me to be confidence based ATM.

You and all other people who have had brain trauma post 2008 season.

He is in a hole, things aren't working right at the moment. The life blood has been sucked out of the club in the opening 12 rounds and he is one player who needs to time to get back the mojo. It is his second year of senior footy and and it isn't uncommon to have lapses during this time. More time in the middle moving forward and the assistance of Anthony, Harvey and Campbell in the ball useage stakes will ease the pressure on him.

Otherwise, he is an outstanding kick that is still learning the art of timing and the fact he doesn't need to hit a chest at 50 metres every pass.

What a load of crap...."Learning the art of timing"...Thats complete shit...
This is AFL not Auskick... I played country footy for 20 years with blokes that can hit you lace out...

His hitting targets lately is reserves standard at best and that was mooted as one of his weapons...Honestly his last 20 games has been ordinary ....Not the player people thought...Simple as that...

This is AFL not Auskick... I played country footy for 20 years with blokes that can hit you lace out...

His hitting targets lately is reserves standard at best and that was mooted as one of his weapons...Honestly his last 20 games has been ordinary ....Not the player people thought...Simple as that...

You're right, sorry. I love watching those early games of Ablett Jnr when he looked so composed and accurate with his disposal too. Guess Urqs will never get there.

For someone with such big raps on his kicking, I'm yet to see him kick a ball that has overly impressed me. Is it just me?

Have to agree with you.

There was a lot of cases yesterday where a few players couldn't hit a target from 20 metres which resulted in a goal.

We have never had the emphasis on skill under Laidley, I am willing to cut players some slack until 2010.

He has been Laidley-ised. Simple as that.

Compare his first few games, to his last few games this year and he has gone downhill bad. Unfortunatley his natural play and skill has been strangled out of him.

Why do you bother?

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #14: Gavin Urquhart - delisted at end 11 season, re-listed as rookie, re-de-listed at end '12 season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back