Player Watch #14 Tim Taranto.

Remove this Banner Ad

He seems very dejected in the video. Just disappointed I guess. That doesn't mean he can be a good leader (or not) but certainly in the video he seems disappointed.
Bingo. There's potential, but he's not captain-material yet. I'm wouldn't want someone who can't hide his emotions and put on a brave face as the leader of our club.

Bingo. There's potential, but he's not captain-material yet. I'm wouldn't want someone who can't hide his emotions and put on a brave face as the leader of our club.
Bauer is the answer.

I'm the opposite. I'd rather a player show he actually gives a stuff instead of being media trained to the nth degree and just giving the same rinse and repeat answers whenever we see them pop up.

Emotion isn't a bad thing, if anything a captain should display lots of emotion as that's how they get an emotive response back from the team when you need it.

He absolutely did look dejected in this video. But can be taken a number of different ways.

Currently he’s on holidays with Sonsie, Ralphsmith and Naismith. Interesting tribe.

His performances speak for themselves. Has been as consistent as anyone. In the coal face. Do we have any outstanding leaders? If not, we couldn’t do worse than this bloke.

I'm the opposite. I'd rather a player show he actually gives a stuff instead of being media trained to the nth degree and just giving the same rinse and repeat answers whenever we see them pop up.

Emotion isn't a bad thing, if anything a captain should display lots of emotion as that's how they get an emotive response back from the team when you need it.
You can be emotional without being a sad sack

You can be emotional without being a sad sack
Mate, we just finished last and these were probably filmed shortly after the season. I'd be concerned if he wasn't cut up about it.
I don't really understand your point of view, but it is what it is.

He absolutely did look dejected in this video. But can be taken a number of different ways.

Currently he’s on holidays with Sonsie, Ralphsmith and Naismith. Interesting tribe.

His performances speak for themselves. Has been as consistent as anyone. In the coal face. Do we have any outstanding leaders? If not, we couldn’t do worse than this bloke.
Needed to replace Sonsie with Kaleb Smith and they could have formed a band named the Smiths

He seems very dejected in the video. Just disappointed I guess. That doesn't mean he can be a good leader (or not) but certainly in the video he seems disappointed.
I have a similar read on him. Seems very disappointed in how the year unfolded.

I would love to know when these are filmed. Did he just have his exit chat or has he just rolled in for this interview then rolls out or was this the moment that Rioli, Baker and Bolton all said they want out?

He is disappointed, but that is natural. He wouldn't of thought shit would be hurled at fans so quickly. I would love to see a bit more grit in the voice but again, no idea what just happened before the cameras were turned on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed. Anger and frustration are emotions too. Whenever anyone speaks about 'emotional' men they always use the term as 'depressed'. Some bloke putting his parrot in a choke hold is a pretty emotional thing to do.
Let me ask this. If you were a young player, would you be motivated by how Taranto came across? Would you want someone like that as a leader in team meetings? It doesn't exactly put a fire in your belly.

Let me ask this. If you were a young player, would you be motivated by how Taranto came across? Would you want someone like that as a leader in team meetings? It doesn't exactly put a fire in your belly.
Me? I can delineate between a public and private persona. If he spoke like this behind closed doors, then yeah, I would find it demotivating. If he had some fire in his belly behind closed doors then it is all good.

Me? I can delineate between a public and private persona. If he spoke like this behind closed doors, then yeah, I would find it demotivating. If he had some fire in his belly behind closed doors then it is all good.
Leaders are the face of the club. To essentially be talking like this to supporters is not a good look.

I would love to know when these are filmed. Did he just have his exit chat or has he just rolled in for this interview then rolls out or was this the moment that Rioli, Baker and Bolton all said they want out?

He is disappointed, but that is natural. He wouldn't of thought shit would be hurled at fans so quickly. I would love to see a bit more grit in the voice but again, no idea what just happened before the cameras were turned on.
They do all feel very soon after their exit interviews.

Definitely getting some "Dimma the used car salesman sold me a Maserati, then delivered a broken down Cortina I have to drive for 7 years" vibes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #14 Tim Taranto.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back