Player Watch #15: Dylan Stephens

Remove this Banner Ad

Should not even get a look in at AFL level until he can show some composure with the ball around the contest. I can live with him not being super hard, you can't miss your leg because you're too worried about contact though.

That was his horrible moment, and he had one or two more after it.

It's frustrating as he brings something we need.

He runs hard defensively, although is afraid to go to the contest when its in his area and it's his turn. He just finds new space to zone into. He needs to fix that...

He also shits himself in the contest, but we all know that.

Sorry, it’s a no from me. He’s a liability. Has a skilful leg - but is panicked and plays scared, which results in him butchering possession.
Same.

I don't care how good he is at finding space if he can't find his foot or hand to dispose of it when a player is within 10m. Does good stuff and then just wastes it. I can see why they want him to come good but you can't gift him games either - he will cost wins if he can't get this out of his game.

I feel like he has a physique that shouldn’t be so timid. Could be playing like a mid if he wanted.
But one thing I noticed was he was giving me Scott, Swallow, Gibson, MacMillan, Atley type of vibes when he was kicking on the right side of the field. Close your eyes type of shit. Left footer no doubt. But **** me it was horrendous

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He did some good things, but this fella makes Polec look like Glenn Archer. I'm stunned he's made it this far being that scared of contact. Usually you'd cop a good hit and realise A: it's not that bad and my mate's and supporters loved me for it. Or B: this isn't for me and I might focus on my golf game. Can't see him changing his way's this far into his footy life.

He is a big no

Doesnt suit our brand If we wanna play competitive footy
Since the bye we’ve been playing a style of footy that will demand players compete and this bloke choose when he goes.

He panics, a lot. There was a moment in tonight’s game where it looked like he forgot what foot he kicked with.

Thought he did ok compared to how he normally goes, still jumps at shadows but made space and hit a few targets.

It’s a low bar but I’d give him another go

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #15: Dylan Stephens

Remove this Banner Ad

Back