Player Watch #15: Dylan Stephens

Remove this Banner Ad

Really? I thought he was passable at best.

But I also thought he looked really nervous. It's not great, and it's probably because he knows he's at last chance saloon, but I'd give him some continuity to see if he can settle and improve.

14 touches is great though, because that's his other big problem, getting his hands on it. He was allegedly a great user of the ball, but we just never got to see it. I don't think we got to see it last night either. That's another reason to persist, give him a chance to show us what he can do.
Dont take that as fact was just another angle to pot pink.

Same bloke rates sleevo for his , wait for it... , "pressure"

That run away from a potential smother that ended up with Max Gawn kicking a goal just before 3/4 time was horrible to watch. Would need a run of games in the VFL not doing that before he gets another chance in the seniors for mine.
Edit: that aside he wasn’t too bad. Just looks very timid.

Last edited:

Reckon we may persist for the next 3.5 years.
Written of a bit early and I thought I was the only one who did that lol
Haha yeah we kinda don’t have a choice.

I’ve been less than impressed with stepho 2: electric boogaloo.

I don’t see it so far, like some here apparently do. Scared of everything, slow as lmac to make decisions with ball in hand and makes shite decisions in general.

I guess he did do some ok stuff last night and today in the 2s.

Not writing him off, I don’t normally write anyone off. Early days and he’ll have plenty of opportunity to prove himself

He was good in the last qrt. 12 touches.
Was watching on his wing. He ran very hard to make space and options. And was mostly used. It made a difference. Pretty tough to come into that situation. He did ok and gave the outlet which changed our structure in a good way.

Still showed cat-like tendencies but I don’t know last night felt somewhat like he could turn a corner at some point. He frustrated me but at the same time it felt like there was something there that was helping us forge the comeback.
He got consistently involved as a link up option, working hard to make the ground bigger for the Demons to defend (much easier to do as a sub tbf).

If he doesn't do that he's next to useless as he's a defensive and contested liability at this stage. He probably won't ever get to an average level in these areas either. Good on him for showing something though this weekend.

We have to persist as he's contracted for 3 more seasons.

He had the jacket on for the last quarter in the VFL today after putting in a good performance for 3 quarters. Not sure if this was tactical considering he did play 1.5 quarters the night before in the AFL or he did cop an injury.

He got consistently involved as a link up option, working hard to make the ground bigger for the Demons to defend (much easier to do as a sub tbf).

If he doesn't do that he's next to useless as he's a defensive and contested liability at this stage. He probably won't ever get to an average level in these areas either. Good on him for showing something though this weekend.

We have to persist as he's contracted for 3 more seasons.
That's why he was picked tho. It wasn't for his contested ability or defensive nous.

12 touches in a quarter is bloody unreal. That's nearly 50 in a game. So if he realistically provides us another 30 link up touches thru the middle (or on the fat side) then we will benefit hugely.

That's why he was picked tho. It wasn't for his contested ability or defensive nous.

12 touches in a quarter is bloody unreal. That's nearly 50 in a game. So if he realistically provides us another 30 link up touches thru the middle (or on the fat side) then we will benefit hugely.
I havnt seen enough of him yet to form a conclusive opinion. Has got cat 😺 😺 like potential but sleevo on the other hand if pure feline...

Would have been more comfortable to see him on a 2 year deal but likely he wouldn't have come across on that.

Thought he was skittish at first.

Serviceable though.
Sub cannot be his go when he starts like that.

From what I saw of the VFL he looked night and day better in the VFL.

We had Sam Gibson presented Teakle with his jumper the other week. We should sound Sam out about being a bit of a mentor to Dylan. Sam wasn't a bull like Cunners but would absolutely compete. That is where Dlyan needs to get to. Especially with the style of footy we are playing at the moment.

Dylan clearly has a tendency to be tentative and to drop him into a game where it is hot is not setting him, or the side up for success.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sub cannot be his go when he starts like that.

From what I saw of the VFL he looked night and day better in the VFL.

We had Sam Gibson presented Teakle with his jumper the other week. We should sound Sam out about being a bit of a mentor to Dylan. Sam wasn't a bull like Cunners but would absolutely compete. That is where Dlyan needs to get to. Especially with the style of footy we are playing at the moment.

Dylan clearly has a tendency to be tentative and to drop him into a game where it is hot is not setting him, or the side up for success.
Sam pretty well got 95 percent out of himself and closer to 100 when he started to kick within his limitations. But whilst he was not a bull he was far from a sheepdog.

But I also thought he looked really nervous. It's not great, and it's probably because he knows he's at last chance saloon, but I'd give him some continuity to see if he can settle and improve.

14 touches is great though, because that's his other big problem, getting his hands on it. He was allegedly a great user of the ball, but we just never got to see it. I don't think we got to see it last night either. That's another reason to persist, give him a chance to show us what he can do.

He is far from the last chance saloon.

He could take a dump on Clarko’s bonnet and he would still have 3.5 years left.

Having said that I thought he was ok on Saturday.

He is far from the last chance saloon.

He could take a dump on Clarko’s bonnet and he would still have 3.5 years left.

Having said that I thought he was ok on Saturday.
True, but he could end up playing the majority of that time in the magoos until we reach the point where it makes economic sense to delist and pay him out.

Last chance saloon? Allegedly a great user of the ball, but we never got to see it?
Mate he’s in the first of a 4 year contract.
He wouldnt be the first player to move clubs and initially struggle a little to adjust to a new system.
He’ll be fine. A greater runner with good disposal.

Last edited:
I like him. Thought he did ok.

Every player has deficiencies.
The last quarter makes for interesting viewing. Stephens had a hand in a number of the goals that got us within touching distance - a couple of dump kicks on his right foot marred what was otherwise a strong contribution.

The last quarter makes for interesting viewing. Stephens had a hand in a number of the goals that got us within touching distance - a couple of dump kicks on his right foot marred what was otherwise a strong contribution.
He has a lot of tools to be an Isaac Smith type. You either have those attributes or not - you can't exactly take a stout one pacer and gift them a tank, pace and raking left foot.

I can very much understand the desire to try and get this guy into the side and firing.

Haha yeah we kinda don’t have a choice.

I’ve been less than impressed with stepho 2: electric boogaloo.

I don’t see it so far, like some here apparently do. Scared of everything, slow as lmac to make decisions with ball in hand and makes shite decisions in general.

I guess he did do some ok stuff last night and today in the 2s.

Not writing him off, I don’t normally write anyone off. Early days and he’ll have plenty of opportunity to prove himself
If you can't beat the system… break it!

Screen Shot 2024-06-24 at 11.59.55 am.png

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #15: Dylan Stephens

Remove this Banner Ad

Back