Autopsy 15 point loss to Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Game of two halves. After the first I thought we were set for a smashing, but recovered well enough in the second. Some poor ball use I50 was the difference.

Can't afford to concede 9 goal quarters and expect to win the game.

On the plus side, how good's Logan McDonald. Blakey was very nice too. Mills and Parker both solid, especially in the second half where we often controlled the game.

That was the most dubious umpiring I have ever seen in my life. I’m lost for words after that really. We had all the chances to win in that last quarter but the decisions and non decisions over the course of the game were mind boggling. I am seething.

2nd quarter was poor by us, but Carlton were just red hot.

Second half we looked like a finals team and very nearly pinched it.

Breakout game for McDonald. This was what the hype was about. Unlucky to shave the post in the 3rd quarter and the 2 behinds at the end had to be rushed.

Some of the melts were just bloody awful.

We are constantly out coached. Horse is forced to let the players off the leash and let them play with freedom in the 2nd half in so so many games.

It's a Horse question. Why are you always outcoached? Why do we start the game with Mills tagging? Why do you have half the forward line playing defensive roles ie Wicks, Bell and Hayward?

We are so far off the mark. We will go no where with Horse as coach.

Anyway if we make the 8 we are passengers in week one by the looks.

Time to get it right for next year.

Ladhams is not an answer to any question we have. Ollie back why? Helped us when forward. Paps in centre bounces, why, zero impact. If there is a more overpaid player in the league than Heeney I can't think of it. His output is so inconsistent. Just beats up on poor sides and goes missing so often. So many disposals for nothing in reality.

Too many passengers going around the team.

Can't recall a softer swans side in my time watching. Such a shame. Talent is there, not the heart.

Paddy and Mills tried their guts out.

Stephens, Gould may as well be delisted. If they can't break into this side then they are busts.

Honestly, a good second half. The second quarter was the worst we've played in quite some time and we still came within striking distance of pinching it. In fact, without getting completely reamed by the umpires (#22 in particular) we still could have won.

Rampe was one of, if not, our best IMO. With how he's been going this year, you'd have thought he'd have been killed by their speed tonight, but he really stood up, and was one of the few that was clean under pressure for four quarters.

Paddy did some very nice things. Gets better every week. He's going to be a very good player for us - he is already. Parker led from the front. O'Riordan had some good moments. Florent made a difference when he went into the mids.

Some really average coaching tonight. Mills tagging Cripps was a serious blunder. Cripps had less influence once we stopped persisting with that one-on-one. We shopuld have learned from Miller that you should never sacrifice your best midfielder to stop the opposition's best midfielder. Papley in the midfield boggles the mind. It never works. I didn't like it when we were rebuilding and I like it even less now.

Unfortunately that's curtains for Bell IMO. I've backed him, but in a big game he just wasn't up to it once again. Ladhams isn't a good enough mark and Hickey isn't dynamic enough for them to both play in the same side, which is a real shame.

Feel for Joey. If his career ends being booed off the ground with an injury by ****ing Carlton flogs then that will be a disgrace.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could have dropped our bundle after our worst quarter since 2004 - we were absolutely shell shocked in defence. Didn't and I thought a number of players (particularly the younger guys) showed a lot of character to reset and focus in the 2nd half. Don't like the 2 ruck combo against such a small side. We're missing an in form Cunningham or player of that type against a smaller forward line.

Papley is building into form. Parker and Warner are a great duo when they get going, very hard at it. Lloyd had a good 2nd half. Not sure what Florent was doing 1st half but did some nice things later on. McInerney fired the boys up after his goal which was great.

And my word Logan McDonald is gunna be something (if he isn't already).

Weird game, so many negatives in the 2nd quarter but the rest of the game I thought we were pretty good.

I guess we have to accept the fact that improvement in performance is not going to be linear. Remember Melbourne made a prelim then had two years in the wilderness before it all finally clicked last year. We have the building blocks, just need to keep the faith. Our second half shows our potential, its just going to take a few seasons to play like that consistently across 4 quarters

Nope his second half was good.
It was ok and no better than many others who also lifted. Mills was superb. Heeney missing the kick into the corridor and turning it over was actually one of the key moments

We needed to capitalise on the complete and utter dominance we had in the first ten minutes of the last. Blakey missing from right in front and then waiting until Henry was completely marked for their sealer were also really ordinary.

Genuinely don’t think you can play ladhans and hickey - I do t know who else who could do it though

Campbell and florent were very good.

Buddy needs to move the goal he kicked in the third is what we need. He is not good at one on one with key defenders - I’m amazed at how little he actually leads and as a consequence how often we kick it to where he is standing

Lloyd was actually good in The second half an we did show some heart so I can take my statement back, but damn we let Carlton kick 57 points in a quarter? Mids got they’re asses handed to them tonight, an ladhams, bro pls don’t play him an hickey together, an who the **** was that Carlton bloke taking hangers on us all night? One hit wonder

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 15 point loss to Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back