Autopsy 15 point loss to Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

To each their own I guess.
Haven't been posting this year and now I know why. This year alone Parker is alway one of the highest rated players for score involvements. As Captain of a young side he is consistently make sure that the young players are in the right space while always being the one to lead by example in how to attack the footy. Oh and was the highest rated Swan last night
To each their own I guess.

Haven't been posting this year and now I know why. This year alone Parker is alway one of the highest rated players for score involvements. As Captain of a young side he is consistently make sure that the young players are in the right space while always being the one to lead by example in how to attack the footy. Oh and was the highest rated Swan last night

Parkers rating for score involvements isnt that high 38th in comp, 5th in the side

not that it was your main point, he has been a good leader

Parker is 30 this year, others need to step up for contested possies, preferably people who dont bang it blindly forward like Parker can , he is a good midfielder no doubt, but Caeser is right he is also dangerous up forward, an outstanding mark for his size , one of the best imo

If we want to roll over against a side like we did against Carlton for a while quarter there's no team that won't belt us in finals.

I don't care if we can make come backs, it's good to see that we don't lose spirit, but it's better to see us play for 4 quarters. Fact of the matter is that if we played 4 quarters we win basically all our game except maybe Brisbane.

The inconsistency between quarters is maddening really. Yes footy is a game of runs. When Carlton and Brisbane were on fire against us we were just frozen over what to do. Nothing to get out of a tight situation in a game. Natural instinct would be to slow it down, but we couldnt take a contested mark. Backline looked really lost, and they were getting goals either beating us 1 on 1 or crumbing. Its really about managing a game when the opposition is well on top and trying to arrest the momentum.

Ugh, thinking about this game is gonna fester for the whole week with the what ifs.

Rankings after watching replay
Everyone starts at 0 and only goes up, accounting for the entire game (i.e. most players average out to a 5 and below that doesn't necessarily mean a "bad" game. Not everyone can be a stand out.)

Mills 8/10
-
McDonald 7/10
P McCartin 7/10
Heeney 6/10
Gulden 6/10
Blakey 6/10
Papley 6/10
Rampe 6/10
-
Florent 5/10
Parker 5/10
Hayward 5/10
Lloyd 5/10
T McCartin 5/10
Campbell 5/10
McInerney 4/10
Franklin 4/10
O'Riordan 4/10
Hickey 4/10
-
Warner 3/10
Wicks 2/10
-
Kennedy 1/10
Bell 1/10
Ladhams 1/10

Everyone starts at 0 and only goes up, accounting for the entire game (i.e. most players average out to a 5 and below that doesn't necessarily mean a "bad" game. Not everyone can be a stand out.)

Mills 8/10
-
McDonald 7/10
P McCartin 7/10
Heeney 6/10
Gulden 6/10
Blakey 6/10
Papley 6/10
Rampe 6/10
-
Florent 5/10
Parker 5/10
Hayward 5/10
Lloyd 5/10
T McCartin 5/10
Campbell 5/10
McInerney 4/10
Franklin 4/10
O'Riordan 4/10
Hickey 4/10
-
Warner 3/10
Wicks 2/10
-
Kennedy 1/10
Bell 1/10
Ladhams 1/10
I would of probably swapped Florent and Papley, but more than fair.

One positive is that the last time anyone scored that many points against us in a quarter was in 2004, and we know what happened the next season.

Last edited:
I remember now what this board was like as we fell in 2018-20. i prefer to avoid coming here after a hard loss. I trust our players are more respectful of their teammates than our fans sometimes are of each other.

It sux to lose, more so when it feels like we've hit a roadblock, but no player goes out to have a shit game, no fan cares as much or puts in the work our coaches do. They all work their hardest to win, but sometimes we just go through a bad patch. We can only try to learn any lessons, put it behind us and look ahead.

The games we've not yet played can be anything we make them. I choose hope.

Mills 8/10
-
McDonald 7/10
P McCartin 7/10
Heeney 6/10
Gulden 6/10
Blakey 6/10
Papley 6/10
Rampe 6/10
-
Florent 5/10
Parker 5/10
Hayward 5/10
Lloyd 5/10
T McCartin 5/10
Campbell 5/10
McInerney 4/10
Franklin 4/10
O'Riordan 4/10
Hickey 4/10
-
Warner 3/10
Wicks 2/10
-
Kennedy 1/10
Bell 1/10
Ladhams 1/10
To be fair on on Ladhams he deserves more then 1/10 for his two tackle chase downs alone. His endeavor is fine, but he did butcher a few things. His sloppy high tackle in their goal square didn't help things.

I remember now what this board was like as we fell in 2018-20. i prefer to avoid coming here after a hard loss. I trust our players are more respectful of their teammates than our fans sometimes are of each other.

It sux to lose, more so when it feels like we've hit a roadblock, but no player goes out to have a shit game, no fan cares as much or puts in the work our coaches do. They all work their hardest to win, but sometimes we just go through a bad patch. We can only try to learn any lessons, put it behind us and look ahead.

The games we've not yet played can be anything we make them. I choose hope.
Great post Rubba, 100% agree.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

COACHES VOTES
PLAYER (CLUB)
Charlie Curnow (CARL)
8 Jacob Weitering (CARL)
7 Sam Walsh (CARL)
4 George Hewett (CARL)
1 Luke Parker (SYD)
1 Sam Docherty (CARL)
1​
2​
3​
4​
5​
6​
7​
8​
9​
10​
Total
Callum Mills
8​
3​
10​
10​
10​
Isaac Heeney
5​
10​
2​
Luke Parker
10​
3​
2​
1​
Justin Mcinerney
10​
5​
Chad Warner
1​
6​
8​
Lance Franklin
5​
7​
Peter Ladhams
7​
4​
Oliver Florent
5​
3​
Errol Gulden
1​
1​
4​
Tom Papley
5​
Tom McCartin
2​
1​
Patrick McCartin
2​
Jake Lloyd
1​
1​
Nick Blakey
1​

LEADERBOARD​

VOTESPLAYERCLUB
61Clayton OliverMELB
53Patrick CrippsCARL
50Christian PetraccaMELB
49Lachie NealeBL
47Andrew BrayshawFRE
41Callum MillsSYD
40Bailey SmithWB

Anyone know where I can find the quarter by quarter team stats? Want to see our contested numbers for each quarter, disposal efficiency, tackles etc.

COACHES VOTES
PLAYER (CLUB)
Charlie Curnow (CARL)
8 Jacob Weitering (CARL)
7 Sam Walsh (CARL)
4 George Hewett (CARL)
1 Luke Parker (SYD)
1 Sam Docherty (CARL)
1​
2​
3​
4​
5​
6​
7​
8​
9​
10​
Total
Callum Mills
8​
3​
10​
10​
10​
Isaac Heeney
5​
10​
2​
Luke Parker
10​
3​
2​
1​
Justin Mcinerney
10​
5​
Chad Warner
1​
6​
8​
Lance Franklin
5​
7​
Peter Ladhams
7​
4​
Oliver Florent
5​
3​
Errol Gulden
1​
1​
4​
Tom Papley
5​
Tom McCartin
2​
1​
Patrick McCartin
2​
Jake Lloyd
1​
1​
Nick Blakey
1​

LEADERBOARD​

VOTESPLAYERCLUB
61Clayton OliverMELB
53Patrick CrippsCARL
50Christian PetraccaMELB
49Lachie NealeBL
47Andrew BrayshawFRE
41Callum MillsSYD
40Bailey SmithWB
Thanks for the info SwansProudly.
Fair play to Vossy and the Carlton coaching team. They saw how to exploit us, and did it beautifully.
It could have been worse, Harry McKay might have been able to play for them..

Upon review, the third quarter resurgence was underlined by 3 players almost exclusively: Mills, Campbell and Paddy. They had by far the most influence by my count.

Campbell had a massive influence considering he only played 2 quarters. He should be in the team all the time, and needs to be our Dawson now. His kicking is understandably not as good as Dawson but he has the aggression and is more consistent by foot than Blakey.

Upon review, the third quarter resurgence was underlined by 3 players almost exclusively: Mills, Campbell and Paddy. They had by far the most influence by my count.

Campbell had a massive influence considering he only played 2 quarters. He should be in the team all the time, and needs to be our Dawson now. His kicking is understandably not as good as Dawson but he has the aggression and is more consistent by foot than Blakey.

Yes re Campbell.

He does make some errors but Paddy's disposal and vision is almost at Campbell levels.

or was campbell more impactful because he was fresh legs, bit like Jpk v hawks

Nope came on earlier and helped turned the tide. JPK was pretty darned good as well. Obviously too late but I wonder if they had thought about permanently installing him in that role?

Nope came on earlier and helped turned the tide. JPK was pretty darned good as well. Obviously too late but I wonder if they had thought about permanently installing him in that role?

not disagreeing and I hope it is the spark , just mindful the sub role can be a bit of a false dawn

I felt that our team of coaches performed very poorly on Friday night.
How Carlton consistently won centre clearances with a kid and Silvagni as their two rucks beggars belief. At every centre bounce Carlton had 2 of their 3 midfielders on the defensive side of the circle and the ball constantly went there. Whether it be by a handball or just punching it there or even worse, our ruckmen hitting it there. It wasn't until the second half where we finally put one of our players there to counter it. Secondly, we had one of the best centre clearance players of the past decade sitting out on a wing where he was like a fish out of water. I understand that we need to look to the future hence give more midfield time to the likes of Warner, Rowbottom (didn't play) etc but what about the NOW?
Weitering certainly had the better of Franklin whereas McDonald was on top of his opponent. Why wasn't Franklin instructed to lead up to the 50 meter arc or beyond when we we coming through the midfield to take Weitering out of the play? The ball then bypasses the two of them leaving McDonald with a likely one on one.
Why on earth is the ball regularly kicked to Franklin in the air as he can't mark anything above his head? The simple uncontested mark that he dropped in the centre of the ground which led to another Carlton goal was simply horrendous.
McDonald has to be our number one forward target henceforth with Franklin playing a minor role. Otherwise, we will continue to be an ordinary side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 15 point loss to Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back