AFL Player #16: Archie Perkins - Re-signed for two more years - 3/6

Remove this Banner Ad

He's the reverse Langford.

Langford looked atrocious when he was being played in every position other than the position he was born to play. Got Langford out of the middle, off the wing and into the forward line on a permanent basis and he has thrived.

Get Perkins out of the forward line, away from the high half forward position and give him full time midfield mins in a permanent rotation and see if he can flourish.

Get Perkins out of the forward line, away from the high half forward position and give him full time midfield mins in a permanent rotation and see if he can flourish.
He's averaged 50% CBA's for the year and has probably played 2 good games.

I genuinely don't think he has the fitness to offer more which is concerning at this point in his career. He's had plenty of opportunity but I think it's time to fade his prospects as a midfielder.

I think Archie is a pretty basic player who is good in traffic and has a bit of attacking instinct but has no idea as far as defensive transition and he gets lost in the moment when he has to think about it. Now his form is shot as he has no confidence in what he is doing.
His midfield form early was good because he had a simple role at the center bounce . Block you opponent . Win the footy if it comes your way or pressure and tackle the opposition if they win it. Problem is sides work out basic tricks and now they are moving him out of the way as they know he is basically just a blocker to start with. He has no plan B in him because he is not a natural clearance player.
Throw in his slow defensive transition that also hinders his forward output and you have a problem.
He is not getting opportunity playing high half forward due to our poor I50 issues and forward set up. he is getting done at center bounce and his defense is poor.
Personally I would be putting him on a wing and letting him run up and down one side and getting to the edge of the stoppage. It is a less complicated role albeit it still a bit specialized . The defensive side can work for him as the transition is more getting back behind the footy than it is forward zone and pressure.

He’s not a midfielder, and that’s completely fine because not everyone is a natural midfielder, but he’s not a midfielder.

In the last 6 weeks or so, he has really become the co 4th banana behind the primary 3 of Caldwell, Durham and Merrett, along with Stringer. Brad has decided he’d rather pull 2 very dangerous players away from where they impact the most rather than just pick a natural on baller.

His centre bounce attendances have more than doubled compared to last year, and he’s really suffering as a result.

Poor deployment of a couple of very dangerous resources that are best used in the forward half, and I’m including Stringer in that as well.

He's averaged 50% CBA's for the year and has probably played 2 good games.

I genuinely don't think he has the fitness to offer more which is concerning at this point in his career. He's had plenty of opportunity but I think it's time to fade his prospects as a midfielder.
Said this elsewhere; if we persist he needs a program during preseason that focuses on improving the defensive side of his game and his endurance.

He’s not a midfielder, and that’s completely fine because not everyone is a natural midfielder, but he’s not a midfielder.

In the last 6 weeks or so, he has really become the co 4th banana behind the primary 3 of Caldwell, Durham and Merrett, along with Stringer. Brad has decided he’d rather pull 2 very dangerous players away from where they impact the most rather than just pick a natural on baller.

His centre bounce attendances have more than doubled compared to last year, and he’s really suffering as a result.

Poor deployment of a couple of very dangerous resources that are best used in the forward half, and I’m including Stringer in that as well.
I would argue he can not be as effective as a forward alongside Stringer and Langford as he still plays a medium forward role and he does not get opportunity. I think he can play forward but it will only work if we are playing two medium forwards and not 3. Throw in Guelfi who plays a bit of a small / medium role and he just becomes another number .
The issue he has with high forward is his defensive transition sucks.
Part of the issue with him is the fact our list balance is a bit up the shit.

Said this elsewhere; if we persist he needs a program during preseason that focuses on improving the defensive side of his game and his endurance.
Like the one he did this pre season ?
They have given him a lot of work on the defensive side. The issue is the same as a lot of blokes. The mental transition is not quick enough.

Like the one he did this pre season ?
They have given him a lot of work on the defensive side. The issue is the same as a lot of blokes. The mental transition is not quick enough.
Lol, did he actually? Well that speaks volumes. I'm kind of not surprised. Maybe he needs one that's not like the one he did this preseason or to apply his learning in the twos.
We had four actual midfielders play VFL yesterday and chose a clearly underperforming forward/mid Perkins.

I would argue he can not be as effective as a forward alongside Stringer and Langford as he still plays a medium forward role and he does not get opportunity. I think he can play forward but it will only work if we are playing two medium forwards and not 3. Throw in Guelfi who plays a bit of a small / medium role and he just becomes another number .
The issue he has with high forward is his defensive transition sucks.
Part of the issue with him is the fact our list balance is a bit up the shit.

Agree on that front, we are far too heavy on marking players I think.

Having said that his use case is probably more Rayner or Bailey who just drift up to the ball, receive and take it forward than how Brad is using him currently, which is as a defensive pivot while Merrett and Caldwell are the hit to players. At least let him play to his strengths and extract more good out of him.

Brad has got this extremely wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have no doubt you give Archie’s mid minutes to tsatas, tsatas gets the ball a lot more. The great thing about Archie is that he doesn’t need the ball a lot to make an impact. A couple of shots usually ends up in a couple of goals and his ability to draw tacklers and release the ball is immense.

I’d like to make a little shift to the team though. I’d like perk to be the striker or 5th (high half forward). The role entails striker oppo skinny wing defensively or offensively the ability to give us an extra in the stoppage to get it himself or free up one of our mids.

The role also requires you to be there for grubby ground balls from stoppage.

His attributes of being able to stand up in tackles and give handballs as well as be strong tackler himself would add value to that position. Not to mention the ability to lose his opponent in transition would lend to a couple of shots on goal.

It also gets Gresham closer to goal and potentially a more stable midfield option with setters parish or Hobbs

He is the most selfish player in our side. Burnt a wide open Hind while running into 50 for a shot on goal. You really don't see that sort of thing much in our guys, it stands out when you do.
Not sure if selfish I think his footy brain is very slow and the cranial paralysis results in these things. Like that night against Carlton where he didn’t know what to do have a shot or pass to Goldstein and then ended up passing to Goldie too late.

Must make way for Setterfield in the middle.

Can play half-forward or wing but not sure who makes way to facilitate that? If we are committed to him as a mid then send him back to VFL with Tsatas to learn the craft.

He's the reverse Langford.

Langford looked atrocious when he was being played in every position other than the position he was born to play. Got Langford out of the middle, off the wing and into the forward line on a permanent basis and he has thrived.

He’s been playing increased mid minutes since Parish went out and has looked worse than ever. I thought he’d eventually develop into a power mid too but he has no idea what he’s doing in there. He’s just a lazy, soft player no matter where he plays. He shouldn’t even be in the best 22 at this point.

It's pretty obvious why they are persisting, because his traits are that elite that if it clicks he elevates the side past what most of the capped players on the list can do.
I'm not sure how you can watch other teams A graders shrug off tackles and change the context of games then watch some of our guys crumple under immediate physical pressure or fail to kick the ball low and hard and want him out of the side.

It's one of the few moves I actually agree with the coaches on.
Give him games, let him learn and make mistakes.
I don't give a shit if he is costing us in moments this year, a year we are so obviously not contending (if you needed evidence look at last night's capitulation).

Keep him in there. They should be doing it for more guys instead of running around with some of the senior guys who have failed as a career.

I’ve been an AP fan for a long time. He looks bored and uninspired atm.
Doubt he plays vfl to get his mojo back. Not sure how but he needs to know his spot is not solid. Could be the kick start he needs. Has such enormous potential.

I'm not sure how you can watch other teams A graders shrug off tackles and change the context of games then watch some of our guys crumple under immediate physical pressure or fail to kick the ball low and hard and want him out of the side.
In order to break tackles and change the context of games you need to first know how to find the ball, which Perkins doesn't. All these elite attributes Perkins supposedly has are worthless because he has no real intent to get involved in the game.

Durham arguably has half the natural talent Perkins does and yet he's blossomed with an increased midfield role while Perkins has stagnated.

A touch of Angus Monfries about him. Doesn’t quite fit in the midfield, doesn’t quite fit in the forward line. Will probably have a 200 odd game career of not doing much but occasionally doing enough.

A touch of Angus Monfries about him. Doesn’t quite fit in the midfield, doesn’t quite fit in the forward line. Will probably have a 200 odd game career of not doing much but occasionally doing enough.
That would be a huge success for our recruiting team - a top 10 draft pick that manages to last 200 games đź‘Ś

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #16: Archie Perkins - Re-signed for two more years - 3/6

Remove this Banner Ad

Back