AFL Player #16: Archie Perkins - Re-signed for two more years - 3/6

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah he has alot of great tools but I do think he shouldve been sent to the twos alot earlier to work on his craft/get some confidence, I don't understand why other young players were made to work on their craft in the two's but we continued to play archie in midfield in the ones where he looked lost at sea.
Hopefully we haven't broken him because he showed some glimpses of a rare talent.

This. Make him dominate vfl and then bring him back. Don’t allow players to play 10 bad games in a row. I’d even cap it at 5.

For me it is really simple. He is now at the stage of his career where he has to work out just how much he wants it. There is no more improvement in him development wise or ability wise or body wise. Totally up to attitude and and having a really hard look at himself. Do you want to be a top 60 player or do you just want to be a guy that made it to the AFL and play your 100 odd games. Will you leave nothing in the tank. We will know one way or the other at the end of 2025.

Interesting how quickly Rosa name dropped Perkins when asked about filling the gap left by Stringer.

Rosa seems quite diplomatic and keeps his cards very close to the chest. Speaks like a true politician. But didn't shy away from putting the limelight on Perkins, which I thought was telling.

Interesting how quickly Rosa name dropped Perkins when asked about filling the gap left by Stringer.

Rosa seems quite diplomatic and keeps his cards very close to the chest. Speaks like a true politician. But didn't shy away from putting the limelight on Perkins, which I thought was telling.
Thought the same.

I think Perkins is very, very bad as a mid. But I have always thought he was more than capable as a power forward like Stringer

Especially when Menzie is the obvious like-for-like replacement…

My main issue is he just seems so slow. Not sure if it's an effort or decision making thing.

I like him as a high half forward, he tends to take the game forward and direct when he has the ball, and has solid skills to execute. Not one to chip sideways as a first option, and has that strength through the hips to stand up in tackles rather than go to ground or dish off a hospital hand pass.

I know this year was poor for him but I still think there's a lot to work with. One thing he has is good disposal going inside forward 50. So yeah its a no brainer for me to move him back to half forward. He never really knew how to find the ball consistently in other roles. His strength through the hips to break tackles is impactful up forward too.

I see no reason he can't be a consistent 10-15 disposal 1 to 1.5 goal a game forward type. I don't see superstar but solid AFL player in his future. I reckon he could be our version of Hayward from the Swans. For comparison Hayward has just completed his 8th year and he managed 41 goals from 26 games (1.57 goals per game) and the year before he only managed 25 goals from 23 games.

Looking at Perkins stats his 3rd year really was pretty respectable. 15.3 disposals per game and 0.8 goals per game when he was truly playing as a half forward. Its only when we tried to move him into the midfield he fell away to 15.4 disposals per game but only 0.3 goals per game. Which is a fair fall.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #16: Archie Perkins - Re-signed for two more years - 3/6

Remove this Banner Ad

Back