#16 Pick - Ben Jacobs

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emma Quayle had him ranked at #24

24. BEN JACOBS

(Sandringham Dragons, 18, 186cm, 82kg)

A natural ball-winner — just keeps getting it, wherever he's playing. Can play off half-back or through the middle and has worked hard at his deficiencies. Most notably,hired a sprint coach when told last year that his pace needed improvement. Has a nice, long kick, is strong willed and takes his footy seriously.

Where will he be picked?

Might be looked at by Adelaide at No. 14, or Melbourne before then, but could well be the midfielder who slips a bit and gets picked up in the mid to late 20s.

Very happy.Strong body, a good leader, strong mark, good goal sense, decent kick. Looks almost ready to go. Rapt.

Read he's one of the most likely to have an impact in the first year too.

also really like the sounds of the kid, takes his footy seriously and willing to get the tough ball are two great traits to have going into the future for us

Have you actually watched him play for any length of time? I have, you're all going to love this guy.

IN HIS WORDS

Which player in the AFL do you most admire, and why?
Luke Hodge, due to his physicality and kicking, which are two traits I pride myself on. I also like his versatility and ability to play a lot of positions.

What are your best qualities?
My kicking, physicality and ball-winning ability.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"hired a sprint coach when told last year that his pace needed improvement"

Don't like the sound of this but at least the lad is determined to succeed.

"hired a sprint coach when told last year that his pace needed improvement"

Don't like the sound of this but at least the lad is determined to succeed.

Why not? To me it sounds like a kid who is willing to do anything to get what he wants.

If he takes that onto the field well I can understand why he gets lots of the pill.

Good luck to him, I am sure the recruiters know what they are doing.

From Snoop Dog's mock draft

# 28 (BRISBANE LIONS)
Ben Jacobs – Sandringham / 186cm / 82kg

Profile : I have a heap of time for a kid like Jacobs. Was Capt of the u16 metro side, i think he is Capt of his school and seemingly in the elite class for his age group. Followed that up with champs last year where he acquitted himself really well. Was probably someone that the Suns thought about taking but ultimately was made to realise he needed to work a lot harder to ‘achieve the dream’. Essentially his biggest problem was he was a bit one paced and needed to be more agile / mobile for AFL level. Over summer he got his body into top shape and has had a terrific season. Again played champs and from a possession perspective dominated (he got 36 possessions and 47 in another). Typically used to drift across HB and set play up with his terrific left foot which is both accurate and penetrating. He is also strong overhead and could probably play a role in the midfield but I see him more as a Simon Goodwin / David Myers type for those looking for a comparison. Like Myers, Jacobs just shows the poise, vision and decision making that potentially make him a very valuable player off HB. The knock on him will still be his pace....but he has improved significantly and a definite to get taken fairly high.
Why Brisbane: Smart player and with Heppell, Prestia and Jacobs coming in as midfielders you are getting a great blend and what could well be a ‘super draft’ for them.
Similar to: David Myers
Draft Range: 10-30
Roughie: Seb Tape

Welcome to the Power BJ!

Like the look of his vid. Got a long, accurate left hoof. There's a clip where his team mate's got the ball for a FK / mark at around the 55m mark and he looks for the dish-off to Jacobs to pump it long with his left. It looks like his run at goal gets impeded so he adjusts and instead nails a perfect snap round the body to a forward target in the pocket. Our forwards have been getting nowhere near enough service like that recently.

Quigley didn't rate him too highly - makes him sound a little Kane Cornesish with regards to his weaknesses:

Pick 42 Carlton

Carlton have been trying to develop a quarterback type player for a while now without success. Jacobs has the potential to play such a role in much the same way as Hurn does for the West Coast. With him back there it might also free Gibbs up to play in the midfield fulltime. I think Jacobs is likely to go higher than this on the day but here is about where I would take him.

Ben Jacobs
DOB 9/1/92 Ht 186 Wt 82

Jacobs really put his name up in lights with his game against SA when he racked up 47 possessions in Vic Metro’s upset of SA. He had 30 disposals to half time in a hugely dominant performance playing mainly off half back. Overall he managed to average 29 possessions per game for the Champs which was very good but sandwiched in there were at least a couple of very ordinary games against Country and WA. A lot of people love his left foot and he certainly has great penetration. His most commonly used kick is a short chip type pass but his leg strength allows his chip to be as long as most other players long kick. His accuracy though is not as good as many believe. He has the ability to read the play well coming from defence but his tendency to turn the ball over can see it coming back the other way very quickly. For those with the televised game on tape go back and have a look at the number of times he turned it over. Too many. When he is under pressure his disposal skills drop off even more. Note however he performed very well at the combine in the kicking test finishing 5th overall and that might reassure some teams tossing up whether to take him.

Jacobs is extremely confident in his own abilities demanding the ball from teammates at every opportunity. Too often his focus on getting the ball at every opportunity means that he ignores all the other things that go into winning games like defensive effort, tackling, shepherding etc. He all too often he costs his team more on the scoreboard more than he contributes. By all accounts he is not the easiest guy to coach and needs a kick up the backside to do the team things.

Back on the positives he is a very good mark of the ball and must have gone close to leading the Champs in marks with 27. He has an excellent leap on him finishing 4th overall with 84cm at Combine. He gets up there well and hangs on to it when he gets his hands on the ball. He often backs his marking ability a little too much when playing in the back half when he should be more disciplined and punch. Still AFL scouts usually like juniors to back themselves at this level and show confidence in their own abilities. He has a good strong body and uses it pretty well. He can play up forward and in the midfield but long term I see him as a half back. There are a few comparisons going around but the player he reminds me most of is Hurn from West Coast both in body shape, kicking ability and playing in the back half and not being a particularly strong defensive player.

Overall a Jacobs is a guy with a couple of major weapons who needs to become more disciplined and make himself listen to coaching staff. I probably have him lower then he will go in the real thing but I rate doing the team things highly as I believe they are central to a winning team.

Wow some people really need to get a grip. We're not going to find out where these players will play and how good they are for at least a year! It seems like it's the same people that over react year after year.

Ben JACOBS – VIC – 186/82 – 9 January 1992 - Sandringham – 2.96 for 20m, 1.94 for the back 15m, 8.29 agility, 14.4 beep test, 10.56 3km, 25.70 repeat sprint. Nice footballer, nice skills, nice kick, nice movement but really lacks some intensity in the defensive side and contested side of his game. He will rack it up at AFL level because he works hard and knows where to go to get the ball. However when the game is hot he wont be the one who get the hard contested ball. Add this to his game he is a star otherwise you just have to be careful you don’t have to many of this type on the ground at one time. He could lift his hurt factor with his disposals but he is not one of the outside players guilty of going sideways all the time but needs to work long and hard a bit more. Kicking lacks a little bit of penetration. Leg speed is ok but that is all but gets away with it by having a good sideways movement. A good fit for Port Adelaide.

Nearly put his name down in Porthos' comp, but as I had no idea about any other name I didn't enter the comp this year.

PS I have no idea about Jacobs either but there was an article early on where it sounded as if we were very very interested in him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back