Player Watch #17: Daniel Rioli - Requested A Trade To Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

From memory Raines never had any success at the other clubs he went to... no individual or team success at Collingwood, Essendon or Brisbane Bears.

Cloke - he ended up coming back to Richmond after his time with Collingwood.
i woulda done what Raines did everyday of the week.GR fkd them all over,Raines was a champion, in his prime n a proven finals performer same as Cloke n Wood, all proven finals performers n all stood up evrytime, they got the raw prawns at that BBQ.

From memory Raines never had any success at the other clubs he went to... no individual or team success at Collingwood, Essendon or Brisbane Bears.

And that’s why I was mortified when he encouraged his kids to play for Coll

But Cloke stayed loyal to pies when his sons were old enough to play footy. We shouldn't have taken the campaigner back.

i woulda done what Raines did everyday of the week.GR fkd them all over,Raines was a champion, in his prime n a proven finals performer same as Cloke n Wood, all proven finals performers n all stood up evrytime, they got the raw prawns at that BBQ.
It was a different time and era back then, when things weren't managed well. But from what I have read and heard and interviews etc etc Raines, Cloke and others wanted more money and the club said no so they left.

The club has come a long way since the mid 1980s until now. Interesting that you also mentioned GR (Graeme Richmond), during his time at the club they won 5 Premierships but when he left the club wad skint.....broke...had no money. Poor infrastructure, poor facilities, stuck in the old "VFL" days when it was clear the competition was becoming more professional and sadly the club got left behind including being left behind in many many drafts too. Hardly any recruiters, the football department was a mess - no money to get quality staff in. We could go on and on but yeah no wonder the club struggled to get Premiership success for so many years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was a different time and era back then, when things weren't managed well. But from what I have read and heard and interviews etc etc Raines, Cloke and others wanted more money and the club said no so they left.

The club has come a long way since the mid 1980s until now. Interesting that you also mentioned GR (Graeme Richmond), during his time at the club they won 5 Premierships but when he left the club wad skint.....broke...had no money. Poor infrastructure, poor facilities, stuck in the old "VFL" days when it was clear the competition was becoming more professional and sadly the club got left behind including being left behind in many many drafts too. Hardly any recruiters, the football department was a mess - no money to get quality staff in. We could go on and on but yeah no wonder the club struggled to get Premiership success for so many years.
:thumbsu: Dictator Dan had nuthin on GR,n i wish i was joking,bittersweet best sums up that fallen Empire,more sweet of course
Napolean himself was in awe of GR's rule

Maybe AFL driven,sent Gary Ablett Junior up there he got out as soon as he could.Dimma took the dollars and ran,I feel kinda sorry for Dan whispers in the ear and he went running.All about the dollars,not so long ago Dan was a tiger for life it is where his heart is.
Good luck to him,it is better for us in the long run.

Fully agree , I honestly saw Dan as a leader , wouldn’t have even ruled out captaincy , there’s a scourge on players reputation that do this , I’ve never looked at Raines and Cloke the same way , in fact when I hear them mentioned , it’s the same reaction as when my mrs tells me we’re having chow mein for dinner
Speaking of Cloke I hear he’s in a nursing home on the peninsula

Is he really gee that’s young wow
Yeah it is , I heard he’s fallen on hard times financially as well if you get a chance watch the guernsey presentation at the pies by him , he sounded muddled

Paradoxically, that ruthlessness which won us 5 premierships also cost us 3 decades in the wilderness.

It's a different club in a different environment these days.

I have no issue with Rioli, Baker and Bolton requesting trades. In fact, I think it's the very thing this club needs. Neither of those players will be part of our next period of challenging for a flag(s). Best to get early picks, wear the pain, and reset for 5 or 6 years time.

To demonstrate the changed landscape. a comment from one of the retirees last weekend sums up todays environment.

Dusty loves the club and was never going to walk on his mates and his club. I suspect once his close mates retired he felt a little lonely which added to his decision. Marlion has every reason to be a "Tiger for life" as it was this club which offered him the chance to change his life.

BUT, the one that surprised me was Dylan Grimes saying he'll be a "Tiger for life". What The F else would you be!!?? 234 games, 3 premierships at the one club and you have to spell that out!!??

Go ask KB, Francis Bourke, Dick Clay, etc. and they'll laugh at you.

So, Rioli, Baker and Bolton can all go on their merry way. I'm a Tiger for life and I'll support my club and not the servants.

Maybe AFL driven,sent Gary Ablett Junior up there he got out as soon as he could.Dimma took the dollars and ran,I feel kinda sorry for Dan whispers in the ear and he went running.All about the dollars,not so long ago Dan was a tiger for life it is where his heart is.
Good luck to him,it is better for us in the long run.
Ablett 8 years at Gold Coast.

I am sad for Rioli he is going. I think he will regret this decision long term. He will play his final game in front of 12k people and will never play in another final.
When he retires we will be back competing for GFs. He will be forgotten and will be another team mate at GF reunions. He had the chance to be a club legend. Someone who stuck by the club during the rebuild, who the fans will never forget, the guy who mentored our next generation of indigenous boys. The guy who lead the way teaching our kids the training standards required.

In Blair we trust. Now we finally have some management stability we have the ability to manage all these trade requests.
Fully agree , I honestly saw Dan as a leader , wouldn’t have even ruled out captaincy , there’s a scourge on players reputation that do this , I’ve never looked at Raines and Cloke the same way , in fact when I hear them mentioned , it’s the same reaction as when my mrs tells me we’re having chow me in

Why the **** would you boo him? Triple premiship player and gave the club 9 briliant seasons and will leave us with a better pick than we took him with.

Who gives a shit what he said. When he said that the club was planning to stay in flag contention for the next few years. Things have changes and its at a point where he can leave now, give the club a very good pick which will help the rebuild or stay playing at the bottom of the ladder and slow down the rebuild by not getting us picks.

Always find it so weird how supports get angry at players because they signed a contract and then left. You know if he didnt sign that contract we would be getting far, far, far less for him. Singing the contract garuntees we either get Rioli or get a great return for him. Win win. Nothing but love for him.

Good points, very positive spin on the situation.
Because he's not honouring his contract, and doesn't want to play for us anymore. Even if it benefits us in the end, boo to anyone who wants to leave. Boo Baker and Shai too.

Interesting times.
Deending on who you talk to, but GR might well have been wholly responsible for our greatest ever era.
But he as certainly the catalyst for our worst as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #17: Daniel Rioli - Requested A Trade To Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back