Traded #18 Jacob Konstanty

Remove this Banner Ad

Konstanty's manager, Dave Trotter from Hemisphere Management Group, said this to Gettable:

"We'll sit down with the club after the season. He doesn’t know his future at the moment. He might still have a spot at Sydney. Sydney's got a very strong list and they don't have a lot of list spots, in terms of they want to bring a few players in through the draft and they don't have many guys out of contract.

"I think if it wasn't Sydney, he's got a couple of clubs that really liked him in his draft year. There's not many players who are pick No.20, a great kid, super competitive … if you've got those traits, I'd hope that if it wasn't at the Swans – which he hopes it is – then I'd hope he ends up somewhere."

Being Pick 20 doesn't mean a lot.

Especially when you consider that Pick 20 over the past decade has included names such as Sam Philp, Riley Collier-Dawkins, Callum Coleman-Jones and Jack Leslie.

Manager talks up his client, as he should. Obviously he will be one of the last contracts (or non-contracts) to be dealt with, which must be agonising. He must know that he hasn't made enough of an impression to guarantee a new contract. You'd have to think that the guys still uncontracted are gone.
He sure made an impression on one person…

Weddle and Gruzewski even. But apparently we didn't rate the talls.

Still, has had injuries and I wouldn't be against giving him 1 more year given our investment. We did pick up Hanily though.
I've never believed the "best available" story. It has so many caveats attached as to be fairly meaningless. Pretty sure we had decided that Ronke had hit his ceiling and we needed a replacement and Konstanty looked a good bet at our pick. And he did look a good bet. Just hasn't worked out. Could have kept Ronke and taken Weddle or even Jones. Sliding doors moment.

I agree that they overstate the best available and needs are taken into account.

However, not all players are equally available to all clubs. Some players make it clear they don't want to go interstate etc - GWS were quite clear about this after the draft (last year, I think). Who knows what the deal was with Weddle. In hindsight though it's clear he was the better pick (but so was Darcy Jones who fit the same need and played small forward).

Just on Jones, there was talk that we knew the Giants were interested in Konstanty and so swept in the pick before them and nabbed him before they could get to him. But GWS denied that and said Jones was their guy all along. They have been vindicated because, despite also having his last year wiped out by injury, Jones has been an absolute ripper.

[Incidentally, after we faced them in the QF I was thinking which Giants players I would want to have and, in order, I came up with: 1. Taylor 2. Green 3. Jones 4. Callahan. Not saying they're their best players, I have weighted for age and need. But it gives you some indication how much I would value having Jones in our team.]

I agree that they overstate the best available and needs are taken into account.

However, not all players are equally available to all clubs. Some players make it clear they don't want to go interstate etc - GWS were quite clear about this after the draft (last year, I think). Who knows what the deal was with Weddle. In hindsight though it's clear he was the better pick (but so was Darcy Jones who fit the same need and played small forward).

Just on Jones, there was talk that we knew the Giants were interested in Konstanty and so swept in the pick before them and nabbed him before they could get to him. But GWS denied that and said Jones was their guy all along. They have been vindicated because, despite also having his last year wiped out by injury, Jones has been an absolute ripper.

[Incidentally, after we faced them in the QF I was thinking which Giants players I would want to have and, in order, I came up with: 1. Taylor 2. Green 3. Jones 4. Callahan. Not saying they're their best players, I have weighted for age and need. But it gives you some indication how much I would value having Jones in our team.]
Jones is a perfect complement to Papley in age and development. Konstanty would have and may yet be. It ain't science.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anticipation Popcorn GIF

Finally the trade period is heating up Dubai Quacker

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded #18 Jacob Konstanty

Remove this Banner Ad

Back