Traded #18 Jacob Konstanty

Remove this Banner Ad

On one hand, the coach plays a role in working through the personalities of the 40+ players on the list and will make a judgement as to who will be a net positive vs a net negative on the playing group. Fair play imo.

The second part of the equation is if the coach has a certain bias for particular character traits. Say for players who just say yes, go with the grain and don't challenge the status quo. Then we may have a bit of a problem.

The players who have remained on the list have gone on to shit the bed in the last 2 grand finals, while there have been others who have gone on to carve out successful careers at other clubs and have even won premierships. Mumford, Nankervis, aliir, Mitchell, Newman.

I'm not saying all of the those players were offload because of their attitude. What I am saying is, do we have the right mix of players. Those who follow every order. Plus those who may not be perfect clubmen, but will get the job done on-field when it matters most.

I think there's an argument to be had.

It is kind of depressing that we draft a kid in the first round. Sit him in the forward pocket in a pretty awful VFL team.

We never hear anything about how he is going or what the club thinks of him. Seemingly no effort is made at all to get him more involved in the game or try him in another position. And then we get rid of him.

Almost feels like they decided almost immediately that he wasn't any good and wasn't worth bothering with. I realise it wouldn't be like that but I seriously question why we even recruit these guys.

It is kind of depressing that we draft a kid in the first round. Sit him in the forward pocket in a pretty awful VFL team.

We never hear anything about how he is going or what the club thinks of him. Seemingly no effort is made at all to get him more involved in the game or try him in another position. And then we get rid of him.

Almost feels like they decided almost immediately that he wasn't any good and wasn't worth bothering with. I realise it wouldn't be like that but I seriously question why we even recruit these guys.
You could pretty much copy and paste this into the thread of every kid over the last 2-3 seasons.

I honestly don't know who has torched through our last few drafts more - Horse, Truslove, Beatson or Dalrymple.

Probably all of them in some way.

Surely we didn’t get rid of him so cheaply because of “that” incident involving Callum Mills? If so, that’s quite petty

My mail was that he was not as committed as he could be. I don't know whether it was fitness. doing the extras, being a team mate, etc. Whether he just hated Sydney. But that is what I heard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My mail was that he was not as committed as he could be. I don't know whether it was fitness. doing the extras, being a team mate, etc. Whether he just hated Sydney. But that is what I heard.
Judging by your picture you look like you have very big ears, so I trust whatever you say you heard.

Surely we didn’t get rid of him so cheaply because of “that” incident involving Callum Mills? If so, that’s quite petty
He has been wholly underwhelming on the field for mine (despite our garbage VFL team over the role), but in a role we desperately need to find another player in the medium to longer term (You would hope if Cleary becomes good enough at AFL level - it will ultimately be in the long term), it is still surprising we chose to cut our losses quite so quickly. Suspect there is more to the story behind the scenes, beyond just that incident.

He has been wholly underwhelming on the field for mine (despite our garbage VFL team over the role), but in a role we desperately need to find another player in the medium to longer term (You would hope if Cleary becomes good enough at AFL level - it will ultimately be in the long term), it is still surprising we chose to cut our losses quite so quickly. Suspect there is more to the story behind the scenes, beyond just that incident.
They play Cleary in the midfield in the reserves. They should have done the same with Konstanty and Vickery. At least give them a chance to show if they can play or not.

I reckon Papley would struggle to get a kick playing small forward in our reserves the last couple of years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded #18 Jacob Konstanty

Remove this Banner Ad

Back